CrimsonSunShine's avatar

CrimsonSunShine

• Where ever my laptop is
  • Joined Mar 16, 2011

School Days

"If you keep the person you like on your cell-phone wallpaper for three weeks without anyone finding out, your feelings will be answered."

Story: 5/10

The story is quite average, despite terrifying and vomit inducing twists, that will leave you wondering why this anime is portrayed in such a lighthearted manner in the beginning, when you were sadly, unaware of the disturbing ending that awaits you. The protagonist is a rather awkward young teenage boy, who like any other, is fixated on finding a girlfriend and doing all of the wonderful things that comes with the joy of dating. Makoto Itou has had his eyes on a beautiful girl with long trailing hair for quite some time now. Though, all he truly knows about this girl is her family name, Katsura. But with the help of an outgoing and rambunctious classmate, he begins dating the girl of his dreams, Kotonoha Katsura. Of course, it's only to be expected in a series like this that the matchmaker is also in love with the protagonist. Expect plenty of melodrama! However, also be wary of future episodes that make this anime far different from a normal school romance, which is, without a doubt, it's only appeal.

Animation: 5/10

It's animation is as average as it gets. Nothing special about it at all, really.

Sound: 9/10

Now this may just be the only thing about this anime that is far above the standards. With the surprising events to come, the music laces each backstab, heartbreak, and horrifying outcome, perfectly portraying the emotions of the characters as they fall into despair and other unsettling feelings. The final song that plays during the shocking finale surely captures the mood just as great as it could.

Characters: 6/10

You're lucky if you can finish this series and only have passive thoughts on the characters. For each and every one of them loves to add fuel to the fire that we call hatred. They aren't too bright, kind, or generally likable, but this can be forgiven, as School Days is intended to be as such. The characters are purposely shown to be dimwitted teenagers that make very careless choices. This being the case, it may be fair to rank the characters an 8, purely because they do what they intend to -- induce hate within the audience. But, I wouldn't feel right if I praised the likes of Makoto, Kotonoha or Sekai, with a high ranking.

Overall: 6.5/10

Common knowledge on School Days, is it's only true appeal is it's finale. Without the finale, this anime would be the very definition of average. Nonetheless, with all of the many insults I've thrown at the series, I do reccomend it to any viewer looking for a disturbing tragedy.