Crimm's avatar

• Joined May 7, 2009
  • 33 / ?

Highschool of the Dead

Sep 22, 2010

Where does this review need to begin? Let's start the same way this anime does. Suddenly, unexpectedly, and with tons of action! Okay, well I can't give you tons of action, but I can steer us in an unexpected starting point.

Let's start from the end.  This is yet another Anime like Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou that I was sad to see end in 12 episodes. I had come to have feelings for the characters and their plight to stay alive.  This will be yet another anime that I hope for a 2nd season, or more!  I was excited and would even have dreams about each daring escape.  The creators always found a way to make each zombie escape a nail-biter.

The story was very well done, and was different from any other animes that I have seen. Even though I consider myself a novice, I appreciate story lines, and this was top notch.  Zombies attacking a town is nothing new to movies and T.V. e.g. Dawn of the dead, 28 days later, etc. But to look at it through the eyes of anime, and highschool students was an original and well written theme that carried itself through the end.  Even the plight of dealing with the adults as teens was well portrayed.  It made you feel as though you were one of the teens trying to escape with your life.

As for animation: This was another top notch area done by this anime.  Not only was it very well drawn, and in a modern feel, but they fit in erotic scenes very well. As a red blooded male, I can always appreciate the erotic scenes in an anime.  They were well placed, and seemed to be part of the story. Yet, they continued to draw you in and further make that connection between the audience and the characters.  Highlights such as glimmering, glare, shadows all get an A+ from this reviewer.

Taking the review back to the beginning of the anime now...

Starting the anime by introducing the characters and then having them kill off one another was well played.  It allowed an emotional connection to be built between the audience and the teens as you follow them through their travels of the zombie ridden city.  The story was one where the entire city, hell the entire world, had become infected as zombies.  As the audience we are following several teens (And one very large breasted teacher) as they attempt to find safety, food, family members and more.  As I stated above, this anime has become one of my new favorites and I can't wait for more.

Overall, the anime gets two thumbs up from me!

ThePatches says...

Hehe. NOW, you're getting into the swing of things! It's fun stuff, innit?

Protipz:

- 28 Days Later!!!!!!111oneoneoneone #accuracy

- plural of anime is anime

- repetition is repetitive. :D

I wrote some more involved stuff on my AP blog about how to take the art to the next level, but just continue to have fun with it. Good to see you taking a stand for your favorite series (why do you think Toradora! was my third site review. XD)

Sep 22, 2010