CoolHandMike's avatar

• Joined Jun 9, 2010
  • ? / ?

Saki

Dec 17, 2011

I loved this anime. The series revolves around a group of high school girls playing competitive Mahjong. Even without knowing anything about the rules of the game I was enraptured in the intense excitement of the matches due to the fine uses of music to set the tone and clear expressions of reaction and feelings by the characters.

The characters are varied, very well designed and often extremely endearing. I think the way that so many characters are introduced, going from initial enemies to becoming protagonists with their own identity and back-story, reminds me of Bleach - with Mahjong.

The animation was ok but excelled around the table when the characters would play winning hands with colours and effects changing into special-move style. The moments of imagination and fantasy that are seen as visions as characters begin to express their inner power with the tiles were also exciting and accomplished.

The story moves along at an appropriate pace with flashbacks and back-stories nicely interwoven. But I did get a bit tired of always seeing the inside of fairly plainly drawn game environments. Also I thought the singles tournament came too closely on the heels of the group games which left me feeling like I needed to see something outside of inside of the game-room but that was played out fairly briefly.

The friendships and romances between the girls are lovely and I can't wait for the next season to see more if this show.