Chuisuu

Hanamaru Youchien

11 JUN
2012

Hanamaru Kindergarten is an adorable anime that features several kindergarten students as the characters. One of the main characters, Anzu, goes to preschool with her friends, Koume and Hiiragi. Tsuchida-sensei is the only male teacher at the kindergarten and spends a large portion of his time staring at one of the other teachers, Yamamoto-sensei. On his first day, Anzu climbed up a tree and fell. Luckily he caught her and the little girl wants to marry him! After this event, the children spend their days at the kindergarten trying to sway Tsuchida-sensei to marry Anzu. The girl's adventures take them through interesting concepts, like marriage, relationships, and growing up.

When I began watching this anime, I wasn't sure if I would like it. I had never watched an anime about children before, but it was enough to pique my interest. The first episode started smoothly. The twist with Anzu falling for Tsuchida-sensei was very different than the things I usually watch. However, if you're able to look past the oddness, Hanamaru Kindergarten is adorable, comical, and cheerful. Watching the children trying to help Tsuchida-sensei brightened my day. I actually finished this season in one day.

What I enjoyed most about this anime was the characters. The children each have their own personalities and they play off each other. Anzu is a very energetic student, while Koume is shy. Hiiragi is intelligent and sophisticated. While in the beginning the three are trying to help Anzu win her teacher's affections, they change to trying to help him win the attention of Yamamoto-sensei. I thought this was a very cute touch, since most children in preschool do not comprehend the concept of love.

The voice-acting was spot on. The art was bubbly and cute. I feel that this anime could be enjoyed by men and women alike.

Other Anime Reviews by Chuisuu