Chelsae's avatar

• England
  • Joined Sep 5, 2010

Soul Eater

Feb 11, 2011

Ah... Soul Eater! You've got to love it!

Story - 7/10

The storyline... what can I say? It is just like every other shounen anime, set in a world where children/teenagers fight demon like creatures, however, there's something about Soul Eater which I find so refreshing and original that you can't help but be drawn into it.

It, as the description might have already told you, is set in a world, where students are trained to become weapon meisters, and the weapons, who also happen to be students there, are trained to become the ultimate Death Scythe, yada yada yada. It's the same in almost every anime and manga in the shounen genre, however, this anime from the start has a rather unusual tone to it.

In the very first episode, Maka and Soul, two of the main characters, happen to have collected 99 pre-kishin souls and so happen to be in need of one witch's soul in order for Soul, Maka's weapon, to become a Death Scythe. After failing to collect a witch's soul, they are told that they have to start collecting all of the souls once again. This is what I find so different about it, even from the start. Most shounen anime starts off with the main character/s just starting, however in Soul Eater, all of the characters have a past with the DWMA (Death Weapon Meister Academy), which is what I find most intruiging about this anime.

Soul Eater, as I mentioned above, has many fights in it; the battles are okay... but they're not the best thing about the anime, they're just the run of the mill power up fights. What I find so refreshing about it is that it is simply one of the funniest animes I've ever seen! Granted, that the story becomes a lot darker and serious especially towards the end, I do think the comedy in Soul Eater is a great deal better than all of the battles.

Animation - 10/10

I cannot find anything at all wrong here. This has, by far, the most original animation I have ever seen, from the character designs, to the sky in the background, everything is perfect, which makes it such a brilliant anime in my eyes. I think if anything, you have got to watch this for the style it is done in.

I like the fact, that at times, the animation can be very serious, for example when you go into the Death Room, the sky ends up being cartoony and has such a contrast between the serious battle just a moment ago.

Each of the character designs are so unique that I don't really know what to say about it. From Death the Kid's white lines in his hair, to Black Star's blue hair, I'm in awe, of how everything is simply perfect in this anime.

Sound - 6/10

This, simply put, drove me crazy! The background music was not relevent at all and half the time I swore I heard the words "scandolous" in it! What the hell?!! This is mainly the reason why I gave it quite a low score, since I think the opening songs were so catchy, especially the first one they used, and the voices they used (I watched the English verson) were pretty good too.

I really liked Death the Kid's voice! I think his voice suited him the best, and especially when he makes a girlish scream during episode fourteen! I think it portrayed his character perfectly with his OCD problems, but could also go really serious in the middle of a battle. Soul's voice was pretty good too, and Maka's wasn't annoying which is a HUGE relief for me. I can't stand it when female leads just keep saying the same thing over and over again in that high pitched voice, like *cough* Orihime *cough*.

Characters - 8/10

I love the characters! This may just be my inner fangirl breaking free but.. DEATH THE KID!! <3 I love him!! He's my favourite character of all time and that's beating L from Death Note!

The characters were all so original, well with the exception of Black Star who severely reminded me of Naruto, but other than that I can't really complain! Death the Kid was by far the most interesting character in my opinion, with his symmetry problem and the fact that he's the son of the Grim Reaper, but I really love Patty and Soul as well! I don't really hate any of the characters, well except for the bad guys who were slightly cliché, but who cares about them!? It's the good guys who matter!

Overall - 7.5/10

To conclude, this isn't exactly the best anime, but I still love it! It may be a little cliché and may get a little boring in places, but honestly, it was worth the watch, and I'm glad my friend blackmailed me into watching it! :D