Chelsae

Kyo Kara Maoh!

27 DEC
2010

I've written this out two times already because of internet explorer not responding... Oh well. I'll try it one more time.

Story - 6/10

So basically, this anime is about a boy called Yuuri Shibuya, and upon trying to rescue his friend from being bullied, he gets his head shoved into a toilet, and "flushed down it". After the flushing, he arrives in another world, in a country called Shin Makoku, there, the people proclaim him as the Maou, the "Demon King" of the Mazoku, apparently because the king is supposed to have black hair and black eyes which inevitably, the main character does.

I started watching this anime because I thought it would be funny... and it is... but it could have been better. Half of the episodes are composed of fillers that have no relevence whatsoever towards the overall storyline, and only in the last ten, twenty episodes did things finally start being relevent. The other half is full of battle-comedy adventure episodes that although they do have a relevence towards the storyline, the battles end up being squished into the last three minutes. YES. I TIMED IT.

Now, I'm not picky, but seriously! They could have stretched it out a bit, I'm not asking for long, stretched out battles like from Bleach or Naruto, I'm just asking for something! And even the battles ended up being repetitive. It usually consisted of someone pissing Yuuri off, his inner "Maou" mode turned on, which frankly reminded me of Aang from Avatar: The Last Airbender, and him kicking everyone's arses, (YES. I'M BRITISH). What is with that?

It continued like this for about fifty episodes, then the real storyline started to kick in. Talk about repetitive! It was worse than fighting through the first fifty D.Gray-Man episodes! But luckily the second half of that was AWESOME, so it made up for it, but to be quite honest, I did prefer the fillers to the real storyline of Kyo Kara Maoh!

The thing I love about Kyo Kara Maoh! is that it takes ordinary things and makes them really, really weird. For example, apparently in Shin Makoku, cats don't go meow, or nyaan for that matter, apparently they go "Meh meh". ... WHAT?! I laughed so hard because it was so random, but according to Yuuri, sheep go "Meh meh". I don't know if anyone's checked, but I'm pretty sure sheep go "baa".

To sum it up, the storyline, although it isn't the most original, it was engaging, if a bit cheesy, and I didn't really get bored.

Animation - 7/10

Ahh. I'm no good at reviewing animation. I only know how to write reviews on real films like Avatar for my English class. You have no idea how many times that I had to watch that film. I hate it now.

Anyway… to be honest this anime came out quite a while back, when video animation isn’t the crisp cutting-edge style it is now, so it isn’t that good. But that’s just me. I get annoyed with anime that don’t have good graphics. But I think it would have been good in the year that it was released, however I’m not really sure because I just started watching anime this year…

Lip Syncing! Well the good news is that I didn’t spot anything wrong here. Although the graphics were out of date, I think the animation, the characters facial expressions, how they moved and the lip syncing is pretty much the best thing about the animation.

All in all, the characters, the male ones were very bishounen, and sooo pretty to look at, so I can’t exactly rate it down, even if the colours were a bit unrealistic. Because apparently people have pink hair in anime. The girls… well I can’t really say much about them. I think they have screen time for about 3 seconds in each episode then abandoned as Yuuri and his gang of boys run off to save a maid or a rock or something.

Sound – 8/10

This was good. Yeah, that sounds a bit simple, but it sums up most of my feelings towards it. I loved the opening song, and I’m glad they kept it for both of the seasons, even if it did end up getting a bit repetitive. The ending songs were also really catchy, especially the last one they used. I ended up singing along to it all the way through, which I don’t usually do in my haste to watch the next episode. I think they did a perfect job picking out these songs, and it went really well with the anime.

Background music. I have no idea what to say. I can’t remember it at all. I only finished this anime yesterday! So.. obviously it wasn’t memorable at all. The only piece of music I can remember is a peppy little piece they used in a funny part of the anime, however, it sounds like something from Ranma ½ so I may just be getting it from there… oh well. It must have been good because I wouldn’t have been able to survive 78 episodes without good background music!

Another thing are the voices. I actually adored the voices in the sub, I think it matched their character perfectly, from Yuuri’s confusion and determination, to Wolfram’s anger and jealousy, every character was perfect. Even when Gunter’s soul was placed in a doll! (Long story…) It made me laugh so much. *shoo, shoo, go away. Leave. Shoo. Shoo.* It’s absurd saying that to your own body!

However, I can’t say the same about the English dub. I actually considered watching this in English at first. I’m an idiot. I know. I got part of the way through the first episode, recognised the voice, looked it up, and what do you know? Yuuri is Sasuke from Naruto! It is a small world, especially in the world of anime! At the time I started watching it, I was sick of hearing this dude’s voice in all anime, Sasuke in Naruto, Suzaku in Code Geass, Keigo in Bleach, and he’s even in Ben 10! That is so lame…

Also, another familiar voice I recognised is one of the main characters, Conrad. Apparently in the English, he’s voiced by Gin from Bleach! That’s just creepy…

Characters - 8/10

I love the characters in Kyo Kara Maoh! They’re amazing! You get so emotionally connected with them; I nearly cried at the end! But just because I thought that was the end, but don’t worry! There’s another season! Yayy!

You just want them to succeed so much, and you want Wolfram to bizarrely, succeed in seducing Yuuri, (word of warning, don’t watch this series if you don’t like shounen-ai. But don’t worry, its only hints, there’s no actual love or anything. It only comes from when Yuuri accidently proposes to Wolfram by slapping him on the cheek. Apparently everyone in Shin Makoku goes around slapping others). And, although at first glance, Yuuri seems like a bumbling idiot with no power whatsoever, he grows on you, and now I’m actually considering getting a poster of Wolfram and Yuuri, just to stick on my wall and smile goofily at it all day. Yes, you don’t have to tell me that I’m weird.

The only thing I can down grade them for, is the typicalness and also the bishounen-ness, but I don't know if I can count that under characters...

Yuuri, is the typical character, he doesn't like fighting, he wants peace, he has a hidden power that comes out in times of need. He's accompanied by a bunch of bishounen guys, all of whom adore the main character and attend to his every need; Wolfram, the character that beats the main character up, Conrad, the character that has a special bond to the main character due to circumstances in the past, Gunter, the person who jumps on the bandwagon, and I'm not really sure where to put Gwendal.

Typical much? It's like all three typical traits in romances have been squished into one anime!

Overall - 7.5

Okay... so this anime isn't the best, and it's certainly not in my favourites, but I really like it, despite being for the most part, a typical run-of-the-mill anime. It captured my heart in many ways, and I will definitely be watching it again in the future.

Other Anime Reviews by Chelsae

Soul Eater user review by Chelsae

Soul Eater

overall score: 7.5/10

• Overall 7.5/10

comments

Lavandula avatar Lavandula
Apr 23, 2011

All I can do is agree with this! This anime is not the type I usually enjoy watching. Normally - 3 episodes of this would have me decide to stop watching it. But it's as you said: It really grows on you. And I just adore Wolfram. It's a never-ending hope he will seduce Yuuri. A great review, really. I wonder if I will still like it as much at the end, as I do now. Haha!

DustinSmith avatar DustinSmith
Feb 3, 2011

Nice review!  I just finished watching it today, and it went by pretty fast.  I didn't even notice the episodes that didn't mean anything haha but true.  I understand what you mean with the English voices being bad...I watched 3 episodes in English and then I had to switch it to Japanese, it was pretty terrible.  I was kinda upset that they didn't show the girls in the series to often because I loved Ceil, Yuuri's mom and the one girl that makes the inventions (can't remember her name).  They all were really funny.  I'm not a fan of shounen-ai but I loved the random comedy they used with it, it worked out really well.  :)