CaseyJewels's avatar

• USA
  • Joined Mar 29, 2011

From Up On Poppy Hill

Feb 5, 2013

This is a tale of growing up, and of the generation after the Korean War finding a way for the past to co-exist with their future. Umi Matsuzaki is a high school student who lives in a boarding house, her father having died in the war, and her mother away in America. Every day, she raises the flags, and it is Shun Kazama, a member of the school's newspaper club, who notices them and her. He draws her into his world, where he is depeserately trying to save the school's clubhouse from being demolished. Along the way, Umi and Shun uncover some secrets as to their past, which very well could destroy the future they were just starting to dream of.

This was a very beautiful movie, with a very simple, but heartfelt story. There are no big battles, no fate of the country or world at stake. Instead, this is a story a boy and a girl and the lives they live in Japan in the 1960s. The animation was gorgeous, especially with the scenery and the way the city and nature were one. I loved the music as well. It was very beautiful, and really added to the movie.

Umi and Shun were fun characters, and I can't imagine being in the situation they were in. It about had me in tears. I think they and their situation were handled very well, and it just added to the beauty of this movie.

The ending was kind of... I'm not sure how I feel about it, actually. It was beautiful, and happy, but also kind of sad. I felt like there should have been something a little more, because when the credits started to role, I was surprised. I knew the ending was close, but I didn't feel as if the movie had actually ended.

This movie isn't one I would normally watch and enjoy, but there's something about it that touched me. Maybe just the way the characters felt so real, and the beauty their story offered.