CaptainSlow's avatar

• The Outback
  • Joined Nov 24, 2012

Hourou Musuko

Aug 23, 2014

What I Liked: Characters are complex and interesting, practically single-handedly driving the plot. The fact that every character reacted differently to things instead of reacting the same as a collective (e.g. reactions to Fumiya's sudden outburst in Episode 5). The watercolour-like animation style adds to the gentle feel of the series. Dialogue and voice acting feels natural and flows excellently. The piano-centric soundtrack, with feel-good opening and ending themes, suits the tone of the series. The next episode previews mixed in with the ending theme. Plot was constantly engaging and interesting, even with the slow pace of the series.

What I Didn't: NITPICK: Trunicating episodes 10 and 11 and making it one episode creates some pacing issues.

Final Verdict: Hourou Musuko is a remarkably well-written and heartwarming series that tackles a number of issues surrounding gender identity and transgenderism through its cast of wonderfully complex adolescents. The dreamy, watercolour-style animation and the softness of the soundtrack make for a series that is just as beautiful as the characters that are in it. On my Favourite Anime of All Time list.