CaptainSlow's avatar

• The Outback
  • Joined Nov 24, 2012

Welcome to the NHK!

Jul 24, 2013

What I Enjoyed: The characters were all engaging in their own way and the portrayals of Sato's psychotic episodes had the right amount of surrealism. The plot developed as smoothly as a story about unhinged adults could and I even enjoyed the romantic developments. The highlight "arc" for me was the RPG arc, I really got a kick out of it. Also, the soundtrack (as much of a mixed bag as it was) was a highlight, due to strong contributions by Kenji Ootsuki.

What I Didn't: The animation seemed like it had been tossed between one average animation studio and three lacklustre ones. The inconsistency of it all annoyed me right off the bat. I would easily take off half the points just for that alone - but I enjoyed everything else about the series so I can't bring myself to.

Final Verdict: A brilliant portrayal of how various people cope with adulthood and all that comes with it, Welcome to the NHK covers a lot of different topics (including the otaku lifestyle) with flair. Shame about the horridly lacking animation.

Naga says...

Good points.

Gonozo is not really famous for their brilliant animation. It's actually vcie versa. Almost all of thier anime start to lose steam half way in. But we're in agreement about it. We're here for the context, and not animation.

One of my minor complains is that they left out some of the content from the VN. There was a scene where Satou and Ymazaki went ape shit on marihuana and attended Misaka's church... that was just... gold.

There are more issues but I agree with the review and the score.

Cheers!