CaptainAwesome's avatar

CaptainAwesome

• Gotham City
  • Joined Jan 26, 2012

Overall I wish I could only speak positively of this anime, since it was in fact a bliss to watch. It held very great music, which I'm not presented with too often, the story was agreeable, though much likely that of La Corda D'oro which also includes a clumsy, half-dumb girl who per luck gets accepted to a music academy and gets to study with a bunch of handsome boys, whom she either falls in love with (all of them) or they all fall in love with her.

And somehow she's able, as the absolutely first and only person in the entire world, to understand their terrible lives and fears. I'm not the type for harem-anime, which we must admit this anime strongly is, which is also a clear answer to why it's been made into a dating sim game.

But I digress, what I want to talk about is the main character; as I already stated she's clumsy and not too bright, perfect for this kind of anime actually, but of course she also lacks talent, which leads to her passing the entrance exam to this so-called music academy, by accident or luck.

In my eyes she's a complete and utterly Mary Sue character. To begin with she's unable to read music and notes, she had only been able to play the piano in a somewhat descent way, but her willpower is so great that she's able to learn this hard skill in only one lousy day.

Come now, nobody is able to learn something like that in just a single day, no matter the amount of will, it's generally impossible.

Not to mention the character's design, the other students (of course) looks pretty normal, for what is normal for anime characters mind you, and so does the boys.

Haruka Nanami, as her name is, has the creepiest, most yellow, cat-like eyes you can ever imagine. I don't know what went wrong in the designers' heads when they gave her eye-colour, but it's so psychedelically green/yellow that you won't be able to look at the girl without thinking; "What sort of toxic waste did you grow up next to?"

The design is original of course, but completely unrealistic, still considering we're talking anime, entirely because of her stunning eye-colour I branded Nanami as "ugly" the first time I saw her. It was indeed unbearable.

And the fact that she's able to be so understanding towards the boys and their problems, I must admit, somehow ticks me off. Anime creators has this liking to make flawless heroines I've noticed, and if they actually have flaws (well, I've pretty much already stated them) they're just klutzs and lightheaded. In a sense I'm surprised these girls are actually liked in the series - and Nanami is no difference.

Don't be mistaken though, the best part of this anime other than the copied storyline as well, is the music, no sarcasm added this time.

I think the male voice actors did an incredible job, and I've been watching a load of musical anime in my time, this one I should say beats them all.

The animation is lovely - Nanami's peculiar design excluded - the boys looks handsome indeed, I'm personally having a hard time figuring out which one I like the best.

The dancing however looks absolutely bizarre to anyone watching, before I saw the anime I was able to see the "music video" of the boys dancing and I practically began laughing right away. It consists of several odd jumps and arm movements, which would put any real life pro. dancer to shame. I have no idea who thought that coreography, or whatsoever, up.

There are some great animation effects included though, during the soundtracks, that I was really impressed by; the opening scene is a fine example.

I won't be giving high rates however, entirely because of the story and characters, had it been a bit different I might've reconsidered. But hey, there making a second season, I still have time to change my mind and so do you.