BigOnAnime's avatar

• Minnesota, USA
  • Joined Dec 3, 2010

ICE

Jun 2, 2012

Ice, sounds like a dumb name right? Well it perfectly suits this show as it`s a big steaming pile of garbage.

Ice is the first and only anime the obscure animation studio PPM ever made. Guess this made them go bankrupt after putting the OVA and summary movie out.

This show had the shocking art style. For a show from 2007, you wouldn`t expect it to have the 90`s artstyle, and look like shows such as The Slayers, Trigun, Outlaw Star, Pokemon, Gundam Wing, etc. without attempting to look modern at the same time. However this show doesn`t have all that much ground to stand on when it comes to the artwork. It doesn`t nearly look as good as what it`s trying to copy (It even doesn`t attempt to look modern and retro at the same time), and isn`t very pleasing to look at, aside from the backgrounds and a few characters.

The animation, not much to it, even during the action scenes. Pretty simple stuff.

The soundtrack has nothing special here except a few soundtracks. Other than that, pretty mediocre soundtrack.

This show had a story? Well, it had an interesting concept, but the execution was done poorly. The story goes in how the last man on Earth has died, so now, the women are the only ones left. Humanity will be on the brink of extinction as no babies can be produced. You got this thing called "The Ice" (Hence the title), but the problem is they make it hard to understand anything beyond how humanity is on the brink of destruction. They just throw random crap in, and hope it makes sense in the end. Other things are thrown in that are completely irrelevant even.

Where the show failed the most is with the characters. They just throw in a bunch of characters in, don`t do anything to make you care about them (i.e. no character development whatsoever), and call it a day. There is nothing redeeming about them, absolutely nothing. They`re just...there. I doubt any show could top this when it comes to atrocious character development.

It`s already a very, very, very obscure anime five years after it finished, and it won`t be remembered. There is no value to this anime.

Truth be told, Ice wasn`t painful for me to watch, but I can`t see how anyone else could enjoy it quite a bit (I probably enjoyed it more than most people), aside from it being laughably bad in certain parts, such as the black and white movie that pops out of nowhere we have near the very end.

It will be an uphill battle for most people, especially those expecting great characters and a great story as they`re not even decent, they`re just really, really bad.

Now would I rewatch this? Possibly, but I`d rewatch it probably only once. The rewatch value just isn`t really there.

Overall:
Art & Animation: 4/10
Sound: 5/10
Story: 2/10
Character: 1/10
Value: 1/10
Enjoyment: 5/10

3/10

Unless you feel like wasting nearly 2 hours of your life, I recommend staying away from this, and go watch something else with a much better story, and has much better characters.