BigOnAnime

Blast of Tempest

28 MAR
2013

Trees destroying the world. Now this is interesting, not.

Blast of Tempest is a show where nothing matters, absolutely nothing. It's simply pretentious BULLSHIT!

It's got all powerful magic trees that pop out of nowhere, uninteresting and hardly developed characters, quotes from Hamlet for no reason, people just standing there for FIVE EPISODES debating about nonsense (Where the villain even helps his enemy, and later the villain and his enemies for NO REASON all of a sudden become friends), absolutely atrocious pacing that goes from way too fast to way too slow, and more things.

I can't even begin to really describe the story because of how much of a mess it is (It's almost as messy as BONES' last awful work, Eureka Seven AO), which is the result of the pacing being ridiculously fast in the beginning, and there being absolutely NO COHESION. The events don't flow well together whatsoever. It starts out with something about Mahiro's sister being murdered, a half-naked mage being left on an island to die, and other stuff that later does not matter much.

It then rushes through everything, and does not even spend time to have you get to know the characters well (And no, the backstory does not count because that backstory did not prove to be relevant enough to the "plot"), or have you get to know the setting. How am I supposed to care about anything in this show if they don't even bother to take the time to build up their characters and setting? You can not even really tell what the hell is going on because of how it jumps from event to event in an atrocious way, with there being no cohesion as I've stated earlier. This is really something that shouldn't be that hard to mess up. One of the most important things in a show is pacing, and placing of events. You need to have a story flow well so the viewer knows what is going on, and is getting a good deal of storytelling.

So come around halfway through the first half of the show, we then have humanity trying to stop a magical tree from destroying the world. All of a sudden the two groups that are fighting each other then engage in a pretentious debate about time travel, the murder, and other crap for no reason. It seems like this stuff matters, but in the end it doesn't because after FIVE EPISODES of this crap with them just standing there, debating, another tree pops up, and saves the world, so their debate DIDN'T EVEN MATTER! Yeah, let's debate and let a tree interrupt our pointless conversation. Oh and apparently that magic tree ends up dictating everything humanity does, stops crime and other stuff, but we never learn one bit about how that's supposed to work.

After that, the show goes under a genre shift, from some "serious" adventure where people are trying to save the world to just your ordinary school setting (Minus the school), and them trying to find some wimpy guy known as the Mage of Exodus, which they later find, but have no clue if he is it when it's clearly obvious he is. Let's not forget how this show wasted time AGAIN with one of the most stupid things I've ever come across in anime. Two full episodes are spent on the character's going "Who's his girlfriend?!!!" when they should have known ALL ALONG! This just goes to show this show doesn't use its time wisely.

In the end, this show is a total failure that trolls its viewers, and the only thing is has going for it are the visuals (And just because a show has pretty visuals DOES NOT mean it's good, what really matters in the end are the story and characters, something this show doesn't have), and the soundtrack. Those that appreciate good characters, story, and shows that actually take the time to make you care about those things (Ex: One Piece, Nodame Cantabile, Eureka Seven, Neon Genesis Evangelion), avoid this at all costs. It is not worth the time.

Other Anime Reviews by BigOnAnime

Bleach user review by BigOnAnime

Bleach

Blast of Tempest user review by BigOnAnime

Blast of Tempest

Eureka Seven Ao user review by BigOnAnime

Eureka Seven Ao

comments

dan78 avatar dan78
Aug 5, 2013

complex stuff...neon genesis...lol? bleach 8/10? seriously dude, if you hated the show for no good reason, why revue it?

BigOnAnime avatar BigOnAnime
Apr 20, 2013

I can be interested in those shows, but I do also appreciate shows that go into more complex stuff. When you look through my list, you'll see I've given high scores to works like Ergo Proxy, Rose of Versailles, The Tatami Galaxy (The show my avatar is), and Neon Genesis Evangelion. They are not simple, and make you think about various things.

The reason why I've bashed this show is due to just how awful I found the whole thing. It failed completely in story and characters in my eyes.

jacobpap avatar jacobpap
Apr 20, 2013

reading your review it seems that you are interested in simple one dimensional characters a simple plot, clearcut villians, instant gratification from action and whatnot... don't get me wrong I am not accusing you of anything but just because an anime didn't deliver those things does not mean you should bash it for what its not... oh and the story was pretty straight forward and understandable while the whole from the past thing caught me by surpise the overall plot was fairly predicable; i predicted several plot points way before they were revealed, but too be fair I did get some details wrong... all in all this was a great anime...

Status avatar Status
Apr 8, 2013

"Objective reviews are complete illusions as the quality of a show is entirely subjective."

Good, as long as we've established that your review has no credibility and should not influence someone to not watch the show because of your extreme bias with no true evidence to back it up, I'll go away now.

BigOnAnime avatar BigOnAnime
Apr 7, 2013

Not in the mood right now to go on all your points, but here's these.

"Well, if you commit crimes, the tree kills and absorbs you.  The anime mentioned that already.  So everyone was too afraid to commit crimes."

Ever heard of show, don't tell? There's a difference between telling something, and showing something. This show does not show the above at all. It tells you, and then expects you to believe it. Sorry but I'm not going to mindlessy accept that, and not question it one single bit. Just like how in Bleach, a show I love, I didn't mindlessly accept Aizen's "Everything you ever did was apart of my plan." statement. It tells it, but it never shows it. Many things requiring showing it, rather than just explaining it.

"All you listed was opiniated bullshit that's completely wrong.  There's plenty of character development and plot.  The fact you use the term "magic tree" shows your lack of objectiveness and credibility for anyone to take you seriously.

To sum this review up: "Waaaah, I didn't like the show, so I'm going to spew subjective slander about it to get attention.""

I stopped taking this seriously after you used the word "objectiveness". I'm sorry, but anyone that believes they can judge a show objectively is full of crap. Every single human being has this thing called bias (Yourself included), and you can never write a review without bias. Going into a review believing you won't have bias is bias in and of itself. Objective reviews are complete illusions as the quality of a show is entirely subjective. And honestly even if they weren't, and there was such a thing as objectively good and objectively bad, things would be boring because everyone would sound like a machine.

If I truly wanted to get attention, I'd be acting like roriconfan before he became the first and only person on this site ever to get comment banned. I review the shows I review because I feel like reviewing them, not to get attention.