Bessie's avatar

Bessie

• i'm totally russian
  • Joined May 7, 2009

I thought It’d be a failure. ‘Russian anime, oh Lord, and It’s about the War!’ – that’s what I thought. The Second World War (aka The Great Patriotic War for Russians) is the main theme for lots and lots of movies, cartoons, TV-series, books.. And now they created an anime.

Watching it at Russian with English subs (because I cannot disconnect it) was rather funny, but now I can tell you – English subs lie! They missed some words and something was wrong about the names. But It was all right at all.

I didn’t like the story. As for me, war is something more serious than Nazi’s endeavour to revive their conqueror who’s been being dead for 700 years. And seems there’s gonna be the second part, but as It hasn’t even shown in Russian cinemas – I cannot say anything. Strange and uncertain plot.

The characters are really weird, It’s almost nothing said about them, only a little bit about Nadya, the heroine of the story.

But talking of the animation – It’s awesome, though It’s too similar to all these old Soviet cartoons I used to watch when I was younger. But I didn’t mind it as it’s Russian, but If it were Japanese..

And music.. The sound, especially ending theme, is great \there must be this emoticon: *___*\.

So, I have to say that I liked it more than I didn’t. But ‘First Squad’ OVA is a complete uncertainty and It’s hard to rate it and to talk about it.

5.5/10 overall

saviornt says...

I found that this was an interesting anime in general terms, with the entire mixing of live action and anime (the live action was taken as a documentary-style form).

Overall, I would say that if you are into the mixing of the occult and war, then you would probably like this show. I personally though, did not.

Nov 25, 2009
VeRDaNT says...

It is shown in cinemas now...

And it is failure