Aphroditexx's avatar

Aphroditexx

• Holland.
  • Joined Jun 9, 2010
  • ? / F

Ahh, the anime with the long name I cannot pronounce.

Let's call it Uraboku, as that's a lot easier on the keyboard.

My, my. I have been around Anime for a while now and I was quite disappointed in the 2010 line-up so far. In a bored moment I turned on Uraboku, because of the Animation and Shounen-ai element.

Boy was I in for a treat.

The story starts out a bit cliché (a bit? try a lot.) with a normal high school student with powers he cannot control. He was abandoned at a young age and cannot handle the loneliness in his heart. Until one day a long haired man appears at the Orphanage he lives and claims to be his brother.Ofcourse, with every good anime, there is always a twist. This man also has powers, along with several others of the clan our normal high school student Yuki belongs to.

I won't give away too much of the story, but this is a treat for any shounen fan. Uraboku is about reincarnation, the bond between souls and eternal love. All wrapped up in a dark atmosphere, goose bump worthy action and animation to die for.The shounen-ai element in this anime seems obvious at first, but withers away after you learn the true story behind Yuki and his Luka. I made my shounen/action addicted boyfriend watch this anime and even he, manly as he is, was smitten with this anime. (so boys, don't worry. this isn't some soppy romantic anime where the two male leads can't stop holding eachothers hands.)But what really sets this anime apart is the depth of the characters. Uraboku doesn't have just one or two leads, it has 13. 13 characters which have their stories told within 24 episodes, without the anime getting boring or stuck. I know, it almost sounds too good to be true.The music in this anime is shounen-worthy. Riveting guitar riffs, rock music and on the other hand it has a sweet melancholic Victorian feel to it.

This started out as a boredom-anime. We all know them, those you watch without really paying attention. But I am one episode away from the final end, and I assure you.. This anime has creeped it's way up my top .

I can recommend this anime to all shounen fanatics, Lolita lovers, Vampire addicts, shounen-ai fangirls and boys, but most of all.. I can recommend it to the true, anime fanatic.

Edit:

As a dear fan of this show, I was let down by the ending, dropping my overall score. However, another season has been announced. Let's see what that will bring us.

9.5/10 animation

reaferraid says...

Thanks for the info. I was considering dropping since I don't want to watch a past love life anime between a guy and girl tuen into guy and guy, but I'm convinced that the storyline will keep my attention.

Dec 22, 2011
CommanderKarasu says...

Where did you hear that a second season is being released? I haven't heard anything about it.

Nov 12, 2010