default avatar

• San Diego
  • Joined May 13, 2013

Zero no Tsukaima

May 13, 2013

Zero no Tsukaima continues to be one of my favorite animes. If you like Tsundere, magic and a good ol' rom-com then Zero no Tsukaima is for you. The show focuses on the "relationship" between Hiraga Saito, an average Japanese boy and Louise Françoise Le Blanc de La Vallière, a talentless young mage. The story begins when Louises school has it's familiar summoning ceremony (where each student summons a life long companion) and while others summon frogs, salamanders and dragons Louise summons Saito. They are from two different universes but they have to learn to work togethor to save the kingdom of Tristain.

Okay even though I HIGHLY recommend this Zero no Tsukaima, It isn't neccesarily a good anime. I recommend it because it's almost exactly my preference. I LOVE fantastical magic otherworldly romance anime, and although that's what Zero no Tsukaima is, it's not great from a critical standpoint. Fan service everywhere, contrived characters, and the same "hilarious" interchangeable joke over and over. You see where I'm going with this. But in spite of all this I enjoyed every moment from season 1-4, interesting scenery, an immersive world, new cultures to discover- endless possibilities.

So final verdict: Buy it only if you like Tsundere and fnatasy magic genres. If not I suggest you stream the first season to see if you like it. Watch it subbed! Seriously the dub is just awful. I couldn't take Saito seriously. Rating: 7.5

-A