AnarchicQ

The Flowers of Evil

BASED ON READING 53 OF 56 CHAPTERS
14 APR
2013

I discovered Aku No Hana thanks to Anime-Planet's hillarious forum thread about the adaptation sickness this series is currently going through.

Aku No Hana is the tale of a boy named Kasuga who idealized a girl named Saeki and one day he steals her gym clothes. His classmate Nakamura sees this and uses it to blackmail Kasuga, threatening to out him as a pervert.

At first I thought it would go into School Days territory which was something I was dreading because I absolutely cannot stand a single freakin' character in School Days, especially since the character Saeki seemed like a perfect pure little buttercup combination of Orihime from Bleach and Kotonoha from School Days. Luckily, it veered from that direction, or maybe it didn't and I just didn't hate these characters...

Or maybe it's because it takes it time revealing the actual people behind the characters. Kasuga thinks of Saeki as this pure angel, his muse, chaste and perfect, and the more he gets to know her, the more he realizes he's wrong. The story takes it's time doing that, as opposed to, once again, School Days where Makoto was just a wishy-washy indecisive horny prat who played games with the girls.

I powered through all 7 volumes over the course of a day and I really quite enjoyed it. It's a twisted love triangle done...compliantly. I still am not a fan of the desperate wailing ball of naivete that is Saeki, and Volume 7's story just isn't as interesting as the previous 6 but all in all I'm quite enjoying it.

Other Manga Reviews by AnarchicQ