AltruisticCrono's avatar

• Joined Apr 21, 2009
  • ? / M

Best Student Council

Nov 5, 2010

Best Student Council had potential to stick out, but settled midrange in the vast "All Female Cast in a High School Anime" category - although I give it some props for adding a male puppet for the odd factor. All of the 14 main characters have some quirk/archetype that has been done before, but the addition of each past history/secret that unfolded throughout the series kept things interesting enough to continue watching to completion. Unfortunately, most of the action is pretty forgettable and is an un-obtrusive series that you can watch with little thought. The Anime News Network review of each DVD summarizes the specifics if you are curious.

Rino Rando, the unlikely character combination of Osaka with Chiyo's determination and a talking puppet on her hand named Puuchan, created a scenario feeling a bit like Midori Days set in Azumanga Daioh. Kira Vincent-Davis, who was also the the English voice actor for Osaka, felt natural for Rino and was definitely one of the strongest performances of the series. What really threw me for a loop is that the same voice actor of the super-perfect-can-do-everything-11-year-old Maachi Hisakawa is the same as the super-akward-please-don't-talk Cyndi Manabe. Such a contrast! What didn't turn out so well is that some sequences contain nothing but people saying the other's name again and again. With so many characters, it takes forever to get through the "Kanade" Jinguuji chant.

Sparing a complete summary of what happens at the Miyagami Private Academy and any spoilers that can easily be given away, I have a mixed feeling about Puuchan the puppet and the "hidden power" expressed in the series. The pupet is a essentially a jerk the whole time and gets serious when he is required to resolve anything that he can't solve while being a jerk. Because Rino depends on him like a psyche crutch or the Linus blanket from Charlie Brown, it would be nice to have some more redeeming qualities to enjoy. Although... I did feel sorry when he got struck by lightning primarily because Rino was depressed and I forgive the character in the end since he created tension / action in the series.

The hidden power oddity is thrown into the mix like something from Haruhi Suzimiya (which also ended up being somewhat strange) or Full Metal Panic and turns the series into a slice of life / comedy / fantasy hybrid. It's not too drastic of a power, but somehow feels too rushed in explaination and reveal to make it feel like part of the series. Yes, I know there's talking puppets, food magically becoming better tasting with a special blessing, a gigantic cannon inside a mountain,etc., but this didn't give the feeling that it belonged.

One last thing to mention is that I am a sucker for character demeanour changes (Death Note, Haibane Renmei, Kanon 2006 come to mind) and often the light-hearted gags and jokes in BSC lead way to some temporary drama for some emotional limbo. It might have improved the series overall for me, but it also makes it a little unfocused.

A possible Season 2 is expected and I'll check it out if it ever happens.

AltruisticCrono says...

Yep. "For any given male character, there is a female version of that character".

Mar 17, 2011
CoolStoryBro says...

Is your avatar from Rule 63 Altaïr?

Mar 17, 2011