default avatar

Al9826

• Joined Mar 6, 2013
  • 21 / ?

In the "SPIRIT(pun on series title: "Fighting Spirit") of continued appreciation for this anime I have decided to write a short review.

Hajime no Ippo is an emotional journey full of memorable characters. The matches, the personal stories, the hardships, and the funny moments all feel very real and the result is a very human cast.

The matches are intense and the animation never skips a beat, it puts you right into the action and keeps you on the edge of the seat.
When you aren't laughing, you are cheering someone on, or excited for what happens next.

The best and worst thing about this anime is that it is incomplete. Nine years from the release and completion of this anime, Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger was released continuing the story, though it is still about only the midway point in the manga after that. It gives hope that one day the cast will come together again to complete it, or that there will be more, though there is always the fear that it will stay unanimated and unseen by others.

Upon watching the anime I was inspired, being a part of Ippo's life makes you realize that he is always pushing forward and never givng in. It gives you hope, it makes you want to get up and go after your own dreams, and if not it shows you that anything is possible.
The most valuable thing about this anime is that it shows you that no matter what you go through, no matter where you came from, you can be great. It shows that all anything takes is a first step, and having the courage to take that step.

Hajime no Ippo is has a wonderful story, great action, hilarious antics, and very human elements that hit close to home. Though many may not like sports, or be hit close to home by the struggles and hardships, it is still a very well done anime that I think can be enjoyed by anyone. I highly reccommend this anime, and would even venture to say it is one of the greats, not only in the category of an anime about sports but as anime as an art form as well.

I hope that anyone that stumbles across this review finds it to be helpful in some way, shape, or form. I also hope that the same sort of appreciation I have for it comes to those that watch it as well.

Thank you for reading this review, take care.