Airotia's avatar

• USA
  • Joined Oct 7, 2010

Interlude

Jan 31, 2012

Story: Dude... he has no name, so we're just calling him Dude here... goes about normal life. You see him hanging out at school with his best friend and almost-girlfriend Tama. You see Dude and Tama being taunted by Tama's friends. You see him going to and from school on the train... you see him wig out and start witnessing weird little shadow creatures climbing out of the seams of some horror movie and into his own, to kill or torture people he knows before it all goes back to normal in the blink of an eye.

What.

He starts seeing a strange girl whenever he sees this stuff, and desparately wants to talk to her to find out what's going on. Events fluidly keep going back and forth between 'happening in the shadow world, wow this is crazy shit' to 'oh no one else seems to notice this happening, I must be crazy.'

That's about 1/3 of the show.. I can't really tell the rest, because the whole point to the show is finding out what is going on, and ruining that ruins the main good aspect of the show.

Animation: The animation for the regular world was pretty average. Nothing visually awesome or awe-inspiring... until you hit the shadow world (or whatever you want to call it, I'm calling it the shadow world). The shadow world had some cool creatures that were awesomely colored with a sort of... sub-dermal fluidity. Flame creatures with lava-like skin and the shadow creatures with layers of ooze-looking stuff underneath the layer of transparent skin and stuff like that. And in the wrap-up episode, there are some scenes that are visually gorgeous. The first episode is pretty average in that department, though.

Sound: I didn't notice the music, and when I did, I didn't really care for it. The voice actors were decent... mostly. Ever watch a show with a girl who has one of those high-pitched whining voices that you can't stand and you just wish she'd stop talking because damn dogs probably howl at that voice. There are like, two of those in this. So I rate the seiyuu pretty low, too.

Characters: The characters that... don't need to be there get too much screen-time, and the ones that end up being the most important ones are the ones that get glossed over the most, up until the last episode. I suppose the anime was trying to trick you into thinking some people were more important to the state of the world than others, but... it was kind of annoying for the ones that should have been the 'main' characters to get so little time on screen.

OH YEAH. And there is the fact that I'm referring to the main character as Dude. They never name him. It kind of makes sense in the context of the show, but they could have slipped in a little something during the wrap-up.

Overall: Honestly, it's interesting the first time you watch it. Skip past the boring stage-talk during the opening that is supposed to 'set the mood,' and try to ignore the boring slice-of-life start that tries... badly... to lull you into a false sense of security, and you have an interesting movie-like OVA.

But if you try to watch it a second time, the ending is ruined, there is o longer any mystery. The things that you didn't realize were bad become more apparent because you know what is happening next already. You know who's important, and you know who's just on-screen to be a pair of boobs that try to trick you.

Stupid tricksy breatsicles, getting in the way of plot... >_>; I dock your anime one point for each unnessecary boob scene.