AirCommodore's avatar

• Joined Jun 7, 2009

Pandora Hearts

Dec 16, 2009

So... many... bishounen...

And really, that's the only thing that separates Pandora Hearts from all the other shows ever: the sheer amount of potential yaoi shipping between the bishounen-heavy cast. Quite a bit of screen-time is spent with them fawning over each other, clutching at each other's clothing, watching each other sleep, and freaking out if they think one of them has kissed (gasp!) a girl. Unfortunately, I couldn't muster the fangirlishness needed to enjoy any of this.

ANIMATION/CHARACTERS (because I don't feel like commenting on the rest):

I didn't really like it. In general, it was too muted. Yes, sometimes it was really pretty- when they were in a well-lit locale. But most of the scenes took place in a dimly-lit building, in a dimly-lit underground tunnel, in a dimly-lit outside area, in a dimly-lit alternative universe, you get the idea.

The character designs were mostly good (as I've mentioned, the bishounen were especially bishounen-y, but not of the terrible overly-feminine variety. I approve), and the costumes get top marks. Mostly. Alice was the notable exception. Her hair looked really stupid and there was too much of it. I felt the same way about her enormous coat and novelty-sized bow that covered half of her torso. Additionally, apparently nobility in alternate-universe Fantasy Europe are exceptionally scruffy looking. I know it was supposed to make them look more "cool" (it did), but characters who are supposed to be active in high society probably shouldn't have their faces mostly covered by their overly-long un-evenly trimmed hair. Just saying.

There was a CAT BOY. And not the terrible moe type, either. Dark/edgy/whatever catboys/girls are my faaaaaavorite, and there's nowhere near enough of them. The inclusion of one significantly bolstered my enjoyment of the show.

Oz was quite the mopey main character, but it didn't really bother me as much as these sorts of things usually do. Maybe I'm getting used to useless characters (ugh).

MageOnx says...

"...most of the scenes took place in a dimly-lit building, in a dimly-lit underground tunnel, in a dimly-lit outside area, in a dimly-lit alternative universe, you get the idea. ..." part is epic!

Sep 16, 2010
ThePatches says...

Quiet! Oscar's stubble makes him look "rakish".

"But most of the scenes took place in a dimly-lit building, in a dimly-lit underground tunnel, in a dimly-lit outside area, in a dimly-lit alternative universe, you get the idea." hits the nail on the head. Too bad we disagree on Alice's character design (boots!).

Jan 14, 2010