Tower of God

RoyalOss's avatar By on Oct 1, 2014

I keep saying Ill keep it short, Im rather lazy :)
But since there is no synopsis I will spend some more time on that.

Synposis:
Everyone lives, eats and works in The Tower of God. Those who can fight their way to the top through the monsters and passed the other contestants can achieve everything they desire. So what do you desire? Fortune? Glory? Power? Revenge? Or something that surpasses all others? What ever you desire, that is here. Tower of God.

The Tower of God is the world and that there is no 'outside' but despite that there is Baam who has lived his entire live beneath the tower, alone in the darkness. Till one day a girl named Rachel fell down the roof. Rachel taught him to speak, read, play games, everything. Baam couldnt be happier but Rachel wanted to escape the darkness. Baam begs her to stay but she insists to break into the tower to fullfill her wish to see the stars. Once again alone in the darkness Baam decides to break into the tower, catch up with Rachel and try to convince her to return with him.

Follow Baam meeting new friends, experiences everything for the first time and trying to hide his past and the fact he entered the tower illegally while he battles to climb the tower.

The Tower of God has a great story, which slowly keeps on picking up momentum. Everything is easy to follow despite the many characters and the many facets of the tower and its inhabitants. Do note that this is part 1 of the manga so the story slowly builds up to a large cliffhangar / open ending. I recommend to read part 2 aswell, it is better and will answer your questions from part 1.

Art
The backgrounds are good but the characters not so much, however the manga keeps on improving itself and the fact that this is a full colour manga makes up for alot. So it is a matter of getting used to at the start.

There are a whole bunch of them, really alot, and the author likes to joke around by putting in some gender benders so you keep wondering if you are looking at a guy or a girl. But there are alot of great characters. Baam the lead character start out relative weak but he keeps on getting stronger towards the end. Koon is the brain of the entire operation and still has a somewhat mysterious background and Rak is just Rak, the love-able giant alligator.

Overall
A highly enjoyable manga, I definitely recommend you to read this!

8.5/10 story
7.5/10 art
RingoStarr1991's avatar By on Apr 24, 2014

***SPOILER FREE REVIEW***

REMINDER: THIS IS A REVIEW FOR PART ONE OF THE MANHWA WHICH ENDS AT CHAPTER 78

If you had to describe Tower of God with one word, it would be presence. Never in my life have I read such an attention grabbing epic that has left me so many sleepless nights. In fact I do not think I have been this enthralled since I started reading Pokémon Adventure Special around a year ago.

Story: 8.5/10

The best thing about Tower of God is how smoothly it introduces characters and also how well the plot flows. The story boils down to following our main character Baam as he meets new friends on his quest to reach the top of the tower. The plot actually borrows a lot from old fairytales and other stories but does such a good job making it seem so unique. The story keeps pinning Baam against impossible odds but due to his teammates and later on his own effort, he is able to keep moving forward. I can safely say that there is no dull moment between chapter 1-78. It is however not the greatest story in existence but does an amazing job at keeping your attention.

Only negative thing I can think of that relates to the user experience when putting the plot in mind is of course part one ends on a huge cliffhanger. The manhwa as of 4/24/2014 is ongoing.

Art: 7/10

This is a webcomic that is fully in color. I give the artist props for this but some of the scenes are a little sloppy and generic looking. There are though a lot of great looking stand-out moments especially during action scenes. The character models look really appealing as well. Stand-outs are Rak, Yuri, and of course the beautiful Androssi.

Characters: 10/10

The characters are why the manhwa is as enthralling as it is. They provided so many memorable moments of character progression, plot twists, and rivalries. The chemistry between all of the main cast was very spot on and showed in the final chapters of part one's conclusion. It is the events in part one that set the tone for what is to happen in part two.

Overall: 8.5/10

Overall you might have gripes with some of the artwork but the story and characters are top notch. I cannot believe how interested I was into the story as I read from chapter 1 all the way to the updated chapter in part 2. If you are looking for the next great action/adventure manga, give this webcartoon a try. You will not regret it.

Enjoyment: 10/10

Thanks for reading my review! If you liked my writing style, would like to see some other reviews, or just want to talk, please stop by my page!

Sincerely,
Awesome Drummer

8.5/10 story
Kailenrulzu's avatar By on Jul 21, 2016

This is a very good manhwa it has a decent plot with ok drawings, with a different syle but I personally feel its above average. Seeing as how the reader i got combined both this and the "Second Season" into one.

Besides that this is a tournament style manhwa that has a fimliar feeling too it. Maybe a Yu Yu Hakusho sort-of style. I do like the tournament manga/anime they give the impression of who the best in that universe then theres that werid guy who never does the contests and can kill everyone. We get the main character, who's a bitch but can learn fast, who has a penchant for power that is unknown to himself. I won't get to far into details that flow into season two. He wants to make the dreams of his "girl friend" come true, and will do anything to make it happen. I will say the characters aren't new but still cool. The story also loses marks for feeling incomplete. Very worth the read in every sense of the word multiple reads for stuble clue missed on first read, I don't believe i did, most certianly  if you're going to read both seasons together do it. I guarantee it will be worth it.

7.3/10 overall
WanderingRabbit's avatar By on Aug 28, 2013

Well since this is my favorite read so I had to review it and with that being said let's jump right in!

A webtoon Manhwa by SIU which most would overlook,but well worth a read and here's why

STORY: An interesting read even though it touches on a lot of what a shounen reader will be fimiliar with (journeying with friends,powering up,etc) but none of it is used excessively and with a new spin on old concepts it feels pretty fresh.

ARTThe art is a little rough but nice to look at and pretty original while being drawn well,especially for fight scenes.the only downsides I have with the art is it can be gender neutral with  a few characters which had me guessing who was male and female.

CHARACTERS:The characters are where the Manhwa really shines as there's a large cast  of characters to love and hate with plenty of variety in each characters personality,and once their backstorys are fleshed out more I can only see this becoming even more enjoyable.

OVERALL: This is a wonderful read if you like a story with a clever plot,plot twists,action,depth,a wide array of characters and a look at the human condition without being too much of the above then you're in luck,ToG won't disappoint. And so whether you desire wealth,power,glory or something that surpasses all others,be sure to stop by and say hello to Headon-Nim.