Sundome

Dreamsleeper64's avatar By Dreamsleeper64 on Jan 18, 2011

Sundome (2006 ~ ?)
Kazuto Okada

The story of sundome is about a group of selfplaying otaku's in the so called "roman club"
Their club main goal is to discover UFO's and/or ghost appearances.
The club main rule is to never have ***.
If they keep to that rule, the OB "former members of the club now at other schools" promise to reward them with a better education and graduation at higher schools.
Sometimes the "OB" sends out assassins, to test the club members loyalty about having no ***.

The main character is Hideo Aiba.
After the old club president had announced that he had *** he was discharged and Aiba was made president.
Soon after, the new transfer student Sahana Kurumi and school hottie Kyoko joined the club for some kind of vague reason.

In the development of the story there is some kind of strange romantic relation growing between Aiba and Kurumi, she sexually teases him and controls his total body, when he wants to do it to himself, or not. she has the total power but there is 1 thing that wont happen. She said since the beginning of their relation:"i will never sleep with you".

Further in the story Aiba gets the knowledge that Kurumi is not healthy and often goes to the hospital.
Also he comes to known a man who is with kurumi every time when he is not.
Is he her other sextoy? or maybe the man she sleeps with? parent? docter? who knows?
she is very mysterious about all those kind of things.

Further there will be more romantic events, also tragic and mostly comedy.

The thoughts of Eefiejj & Me:
"Sundome is not all about ecchi, it has so much more to offer, if you like romance story's or just plain comedy you can even like it without concentrating on the ecchi."

Kazuto Okada has not only made Sundome!
He also made the titles of:

Chichin Pui! (manga) : Story & Art
Hop Step Jump! (manga) : Story & Art
Kyōkasho ni Nai! (manga) : Story & Art
Sundome (live-action movie) : Original creator
Tenshi ja Nai! (manga) : Story & Art
Very Private Lesson (OAV) : Original story

Most of them are ecchi, but we are trying to read and watch all of those too, and hope to find another story thats not only ecchi, even if you are bombed by it when you turn the first page.

7.5/10 art
8.5/10 characters
ghostblade's avatar By ghostblade on Jun 21, 2011

I found Sundome while looking in the related section of Nana To Kaoru, a manga where a perverted boy convinces his childhood friend to have short, soft S&M sessions with him. As i enjoyed Nana To Kaoru, i thought i'd give Sundome a go.

The plot follows a high school student, Aiba, who is part of the school Roman club.

The club is basically a small crowd of otaku, or nerds, who are interested in aliens, ghosts, most paranormal things. There is one rule, you cannot have sex. If you stick to this rule, the OB (who run the club) will pay for your tuition fees into college/university. If you break the rule, however, your out of the club.

This may sound easy enough, but every so often the OB send in "assassins" to seduce the boys and get them to lose their virginity. To try and abstain from sexual desire, some members choose to develop strange masturbating habits, or even weird fetishes.

These fetishes are what, i believe, make the characters so original. The strange anal fetish of one of the members had me laughing quite a lot, as he was often found with his hand down the back of a fellow members pants while asleep.

Following the rules is easy for Aiba at first, since he has never been too into girls, and stuck to his too-often masturbating routine.

Enter Kurumi Sahana.

Kurumi is placed next to Aiba in class, and, at first meeting, reaches down to pick up her pen. Unfortunately for poor Aiba, he gets a front seat view down her top, and his manly instincts begin to kick in. Her hand rubs against it, but she doesnt seem to realise, and he thinks he got off easy.

After school that day, Kurumi follows Aiba to Roman club, and decides to join. When they get a moment alone, she tells him she knows what happened in class and she knows what she felt.. and in fact.. she did it on purpose.

From then on, Kurumi takes almost total control over Aibas life, including when he can and cant masturbate, and they have a secret, very complicated, relationship.

The artwork in this manga seems fairly simple on most pages, but on some, particularly when Kurumi and Aiba get a moment alone, it becomes a lot more detailed and dark. It looks amazing.

I guarentee all those who enjoy comedy, romance, or sexual manga will enjoy this. Hell, try it even if you dont, im mainly into Shounen anyway and i loved it. Sundome will keep you entertained for hours. It will make you laugh, and cry.

Sundome literally means "stopping the moment before". A brilliant title for a brilliant manga.

Moshnot's avatar By Moshnot on Apr 21, 2011

Sundome presents something of a dilemma to me; the story itself is decent, and it's so funny that I genuinely laugh out loud while reading it, which I find doesn't happen often with manga. But because the plot revolves around the sexual exploits of high school students, I feel bad for reading it. I laugh while reading it, but I'm also constantly looking over my shoulder incase any one catches me reading it. It's hard to explain it really, I think I'd recommend it to any one who likes good comedy manga, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone I actually knew in person because of what they'd think of me for enjoying it. =^_^=

MikeSinner's avatar By MikeSinner on Aug 22, 2011

It should be pretty obvious just by the picture that this is a manga involving echhi elements. And quite a few at that. But that doesn't mean it's all just about that.
I had quite few laughs even litteraly to the point of worrying about my neighbors because of my LOL (insomnia makes me continue way past midnight, so got to keep it down...).
But there's some drama moments as well, actually also multiplying towards the end.
And even though I could already predict the end about halfway through, it does not mean it made the story any bit less fun.
Reading this manga, it should be pretty hard for most people to not laugh, get sad and get pulled in. You might not all like the echhi, especially the domanant/submissive part is a matter of taste (or the ex-prezzes fetish for that matter... >__<), but at the same time, it's hard to not get affected by it.
I've felt myself cheering on one character while becoming protective for the other, so it's safe to say they did a good job on breathing life into their characters. In real life I would certainly have liked to beat up a certain "ex-boyfriend"...
I guess I'm being quite cryptic in trying not to expose anything of the story, but that's because I don't like spoilers. Also meaning, if you want to know what I'm on about, read the manga! ;-)
Gah... It's so hard not to be a spoiler after I just finished reading it, I just want to explode and share everything with someone who has also read it!!
Happy stuff, sad stuff, the things that made me angry.... Waaahh!! Over and out, before I do spill the beans. =P

corkboard's avatar By corkboard on Mar 23, 2014

It took me more than a little time to work up a love for this manga, and had I not been in a situation that left me with a lot of time on my hands and nothing else to do, I probably would have dropped it after the first chapter.

With that said, this is a really wonderful manga.  Erotic, cringe-worthy, poingant, and occasionally even funny.  The story leaves more questions unanswered than I would like and the art took some getting used to.  The "humor" had a tendency to interrupt some of the most emotional moments in a way that was off-putting.  But I don't know that I have ever read a manga that used sexual deviance as a vehicle for understanding interpersonal relationships better (and it's a theme I love to revisit).  The journey that the two main characters take has all the messiness and ambiguity of reality and that's what makes this manga so compelling.  Love, uncertainty, envy, and loss are played out on a stage that is farcically eroticized and provides a more comfortable conduit into laying bare the parts of human relationships that we'd rather not look at too closely.

I highly recommend this manga, altough perhaps you should avoid reading it on public transit or near playgrounds.