Sundome

RingoStarr1991's avatar By on Mar 23, 2014

***This is a semi non-spoiler review***

This manga was a real puzzle for me; so many people seem to praise it for many different reasons. Is it how the female lead treats the male lead like absolute s%&t and manipulates him in every chapter? I don't really know but there are some good things here.

Story: 5/10

There's a story? Well kind of; essentially we follow Hideo and Kurumi's pervy adventures in the "Roman Club" (they look for aliens). This club goes on many adventures looking for aliens for just checking out really creepy areas and of course something pervy happens between the two lovebirds in every chapter. Look I get that this is an ecchi manga but some of the fetishes are just a little too awkward to endure (and I'm pretty open minded). That aside, the manga is actually pretty fu$%ing hilarious. There were a plethora amount of moments where I was literally laughing out loud at what was going on. The author should be praised for his sense of comedy.

Art: 8/10

The manga doesn't look too bad. It has a lot of rough looking scenes but I think that was done on purpose to some degree. Both Hideo and Kurumi look defined in the more serious and "other" scenes. The quality of the scenes did seem to get better as the manga went on.

Characters: 9/10

The characters are hilarious; all of them. They do fit some of the generic roles but they work very well with each other. They all contribute a lot to the comedy aspect of the manga. Hideo and Kurumi actually had some good chemistry between them other than the whole peeing on each other thing.

Overall: 7.3/10

So I kind of enjoyed reading this manga but there is a small bit of regret. The ending was actually quite mature and had me a little taken back. The characters did an awesome job at providing some really funny moments but overall the awkwardness of some of the fetishes really turned me off (literally) when reading. If you like ecchi and comedy then you will most likely enjoy this manga.

Enjoyment: 4/10

Thanks for reading my review! If you liked my writing style, would like to see some other reviews, or just want to talk, please stop by my page!

Sincerely,
Awesome Drummer

7.3/10 overall
MikeSinner's avatar By on Aug 22, 2011

It should be pretty obvious just by the picture that this is a manga involving echhi elements. And quite a few at that. But that doesn't mean it's all just about that.
I had quite few laughs even litteraly to the point of worrying about my neighbors because of my LOL (insomnia makes me continue way past midnight, so got to keep it down...).
But there's some drama moments as well, actually also multiplying towards the end.
And even though I could already predict the end about halfway through, it does not mean it made the story any bit less fun.
Reading this manga, it should be pretty hard for most people to not laugh, get sad and get pulled in. You might not all like the echhi, especially the domanant/submissive part is a matter of taste (or the ex-prezzes fetish for that matter... >__<), but at the same time, it's hard to not get affected by it.
I've felt myself cheering on one character while becoming protective for the other, so it's safe to say they did a good job on breathing life into their characters. In real life I would certainly have liked to beat up a certain "ex-boyfriend"...
I guess I'm being quite cryptic in trying not to expose anything of the story, but that's because I don't like spoilers. Also meaning, if you want to know what I'm on about, read the manga! ;-)
Gah... It's so hard not to be a spoiler after I just finished reading it, I just want to explode and share everything with someone who has also read it!!
Happy stuff, sad stuff, the things that made me angry.... Waaahh!! Over and out, before I do spill the beans. =P

ghostblade's avatar By on Jun 21, 2011

I found Sundome while looking in the related section of Nana To Kaoru, a manga where a perverted boy convinces his childhood friend to have short, soft S&M sessions with him. As i enjoyed Nana To Kaoru, i thought i'd give Sundome a go.

The plot follows a high school student, Aiba, who is part of the school Roman club.

The club is basically a small crowd of otaku, or nerds, who are interested in aliens, ghosts, most paranormal things. There is one rule, you cannot have sex. If you stick to this rule, the OB (who run the club) will pay for your tuition fees into college/university. If you break the rule, however, your out of the club.

This may sound easy enough, but every so often the OB send in "assassins" to seduce the boys and get them to lose their virginity. To try and abstain from sexual desire, some members choose to develop strange masturbating habits, or even weird fetishes.

These fetishes are what, i believe, make the characters so original. The strange anal fetish of one of the members had me laughing quite a lot, as he was often found with his hand down the back of a fellow members pants while asleep.

Following the rules is easy for Aiba at first, since he has never been too into girls, and stuck to his too-often masturbating routine.

Enter Kurumi Sahana.

Kurumi is placed next to Aiba in class, and, at first meeting, reaches down to pick up her pen. Unfortunately for poor Aiba, he gets a front seat view down her top, and his manly instincts begin to kick in. Her hand rubs against it, but she doesnt seem to realise, and he thinks he got off easy.

After school that day, Kurumi follows Aiba to Roman club, and decides to join. When they get a moment alone, she tells him she knows what happened in class and she knows what she felt.. and in fact.. she did it on purpose.

From then on, Kurumi takes almost total control over Aibas life, including when he can and cant masturbate, and they have a secret, very complicated, relationship.

The artwork in this manga seems fairly simple on most pages, but on some, particularly when Kurumi and Aiba get a moment alone, it becomes a lot more detailed and dark. It looks amazing.

I guarentee all those who enjoy comedy, romance, or sexual manga will enjoy this. Hell, try it even if you dont, im mainly into Shounen anyway and i loved it. Sundome will keep you entertained for hours. It will make you laugh, and cry.

Sundome literally means "stopping the moment before". A brilliant title for a brilliant manga.

Moshnot's avatar By on Apr 21, 2011

Sundome presents something of a dilemma to me; the story itself is decent, and it's so funny that I genuinely laugh out loud while reading it, which I find doesn't happen often with manga. But because the plot revolves around the sexual exploits of high school students, I feel bad for reading it. I laugh while reading it, but I'm also constantly looking over my shoulder incase any one catches me reading it. It's hard to explain it really, I think I'd recommend it to any one who likes good comedy manga, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone I actually knew in person because of what they'd think of me for enjoying it. =^_^=

Dreamsleeper64's avatar By on Jan 18, 2011

Sundome (2006 ~ ?)
Kazuto Okada

The story of sundome is about a group of selfplaying otaku's in the so called "roman club"
Their club main goal is to discover UFO's and/or ghost appearances.
The club main rule is to never have ***.
If they keep to that rule, the OB "former members of the club now at other schools" promise to reward them with a better education and graduation at higher schools.
Sometimes the "OB" sends out assassins, to test the club members loyalty about having no ***.

The main character is Hideo Aiba.
After the old club president had announced that he had *** he was discharged and Aiba was made president.
Soon after, the new transfer student Sahana Kurumi and school hottie Kyoko joined the club for some kind of vague reason.

In the development of the story there is some kind of strange romantic relation growing between Aiba and Kurumi, she sexually teases him and controls his total body, when he wants to do it to himself, or not. she has the total power but there is 1 thing that wont happen. She said since the beginning of their relation:"i will never sleep with you".

Further in the story Aiba gets the knowledge that Kurumi is not healthy and often goes to the hospital.
Also he comes to known a man who is with kurumi every time when he is not.
Is he her other sextoy? or maybe the man she sleeps with? parent? docter? who knows?
she is very mysterious about all those kind of things.

Further there will be more romantic events, also tragic and mostly comedy.

The thoughts of Eefiejj & Me:
"Sundome is not all about ecchi, it has so much more to offer, if you like romance story's or just plain comedy you can even like it without concentrating on the ecchi."

Kazuto Okada has not only made Sundome!
He also made the titles of:

Chichin Pui! (manga) : Story & Art
Hop Step Jump! (manga) : Story & Art
Kyōkasho ni Nai! (manga) : Story & Art
Sundome (live-action movie) : Original creator
Tenshi ja Nai! (manga) : Story & Art
Very Private Lesson (OAV) : Original story

Most of them are ecchi, but we are trying to read and watch all of those too, and hope to find another story thats not only ecchi, even if you are bombed by it when you turn the first page.

7.5/10 art