Skip Beat!

mangaislife's avatar By mangaislife on Nov 13, 2010

Premise - A girl is tossed aside by her childhood friend who's now a celebrity and decides to pursue him in showbiz.

Plot Exposition - This is perfect pacing. Perfect. Pacing. Pacing. Perfect. It's so interesting as well!

Protagonist - This is one of the most likable characters ever written. Relatable, interesting and awesome.

Love Interest- He seems almost flawless, but he has a childish side and even a tragic and maybe delinquent-esque past. He's so interesting.

Supporting Cast - All so original and interesting. Although that might be helped by the small cast, which is usually good for a shoujo manga.

Romance- This is amazing.

Comedy - BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Tragedy - That's so...terrible...

Story -It takes so many risks and they all pay off. It's interesting, unique and never stops to be entertaining.

Characters -THEY'RE ALL SO INTERESTING AND UNIQUE! All extremely well written and you can tell there was a lot of thought put into each one of them.

Art - The style is so weird...takes so many risks...that it works. It's obvious that the artist is chosing the avoid using regular human anatomy and it works so well. The subtle changes, the emotion...

Recommended? - HIGHLY.

musicaficta's avatar By musicaficta on Jun 4, 2010

There are very few manga that have left me with the kind of painful cramps that come from hysterical laughter.  For my personal comedy tastes, Excel Saga, and 1/2 Prince immediately come to mind.  I also found Perfect Girl Evolution and Rave Master to be an excellent source of laughs.  Perhaps it's just that I enjoy parodies.  And this brings me to Skip Beat! - a manga I'm reviewing because I needed to take a breather from so my ribs don't break.

I won't bore you with the details of what this manga is about.  Rather, think of it as a parody of the entertainment industry.  In some ways, the whole of the story reminds me of a Shakespearian comedy.  As the show goes on, it becomes far more complex.  The characters visibly evolve (and sometimes devolve).  Although some of the story arcs feel a bit contrived, nearly every other page is filled with witticisms and other humor.

~~I particularly enjoy the art.  Nakamura Yoshiki, the mangaka has a certain way with facial expressions...well, you have to look at it to understand.

~~What I like least is Nakamura Yoshiki's tendancy to "forget" about characters for several chapters before reintroducing them.  Again, it's something hard for me to explain - kinda like "out of sight, out of mind, even though half the story revolves around this person".

Anyway, it really is a great read.  It isn't particularly realistic, but that is part of the charm of the overall plot.  Try a few chapters; you might be pleasantly surprised.

8.5/10 story
Midcat's avatar By Midcat on Sep 3, 2011

I doubt that I will be adding anything new or that hasn't been said about Skip Beat!, but I will say that no matter how much I have searched for something to compare it to, it is just plain impossible!

Skip beat has everything that a blockbuster needs in order to become timeless classic.

The humor is beyond anything I have ever experienced and it just makes reading this manga a treat that I love to sample full on.

Ren is the good guy that is just soooooo goood, it makes all girls swoon for him.

I can place a bet and come out winning that every single female that has read Skip Beat! has wished for her own Ren.

His character is complex and well defined while at the same time he holds an aspect of mystery that still has not been revealed, but leaves you wanting for more.

He is transparent, you can see him clearly and without doubts, but at the same time he holds that miterious past inside that makes you wonder if what you are seeing is really a character acting as an actor... Does that make sense? Believe me, Ren's character is THAT COMPLEX!

HinaXAnyone's avatar By HinaXAnyone on Jul 2, 2011

I started reading this mainly because I needed to balance out all of the drama and shounen mangas I read with some comedy, and this DEFINITELY did the trick!

Story: It begins as a revenge story and develops into so much more. Even though it still is about getting back at a guy, it also incorporates finding one's true identity after being dependent for so long. It discusses vulnerability and how pain, although no one likes it, is necessary for growth. It is heartwarming and also hilariously comedic. I cannot count how many times I have literally laughed out loud or had to take a moment to recollect myself while reading this. It may not be COMPLETELY realistic, but the emotions behind it are real enough to make a believer out of anyone.

Art: The artwork is really good for the most part. The flaws only really occur in the males of the serious; sometimes they are drawn disproportionally tall and broad. However, besides that the art is great, ESPECIALLY when Kyouko goes through her "transformations". The clothing and the facial expressions are drawn well and realy capture the essence of each role she takes.

Characters: So good!!! You will be rooting for the main character the entire way. She isn't perfect either. Most of this manga is about her finding a way to accept love back into her heart, however she is fiery, energetic, strong, and most importantly, the kind of heroine that someone can relate to. The supporting characters are well defined as well, each with their own set of personality quirks that make them fun and refreshing. There may sometimes be a lot of characters and it does sometimes get hard to keep track of, but they are all so fun that this doesn't become an issue.

Overall: A great manga that is doing things right. It is fun and entertaining. It also does go into deeper topics without losing the levity that the story relies on. It is a great read for all times. Definitely one to read!

Sfksmile123's avatar By Sfksmile123 on May 20, 2010

This Is really great!!! Although it starts out a little slow in the beginning, Kyoko's turning her life around really hits as a turning point. Her little "adventures" through the world of acting and television are really comical. Also, the character developments in this manga are great. Kyoko evolves from a frightened, lovesick, dependent girl into an Independent, witty, talented, and courageous woman. The love interest is not just some cliche, perfect guy who everyone adores and treats the protagonist as though there is no one else in the world. On the contrary, Ren Tsuruga turns out to have little faults of his own that take away from his "perfection", as well as his treatment of Kyoko. This, however, makes the development strong as he becomes a kind of inspiration as well as teacher for Kyoko. He, too, undergoes major character developments as he realizes his feelings for Kyoko and then conflicts with himself for how to win her heart. Sho's battle in this comes just at the right time, and adds interest to the plot. Overall it's a great read, as I'm sure many would agree. The anime for it left alot unfinished, but the manga loyally continued its wonderful plot. However, the only thing that concerns me now is that at this point the plot is really being pulled out to such an extent and continues in this way to not tie up threads. I feel it's about time that it makes a turn now and starts to wrap up those story lines and eventually lead up to the finale because now it doesn't seem to be getting anywhere. But I highly recommend this manga to any beginners!! It's great with a variety of themes and unique characteristics to it! It's one of my top favorite reads!