Skip Beat!

Rebkkah's avatar By on May 8, 2013

I love this manga. I love the unique personality of the main character and the fact that she can have such an intense dark side without becoming a dark character. The male leads are wonderful counters to each other and perfect props for the development of Kyouko. Overall, I find the characters in this manga (from the main charaters to the peripheral) to be well though out and satisfying in their roles.

I think the balance between comedy and drama in this story is incredibly well done. The author has managed to make me laugh out loud on one page while making my heart skip on the next. I'm so completely invested in the story that I want to reread it as soon as I finish the most recent chapters. I have never enjoyed a story as much as I have this one and would recommend it to anyone with a pulse.

As for the art, I have always enjoyed the art from this author. It's unique and entirely effective in expressing the story and the characters' emotions. Dramatic on one frame and playful on the next. Love it.

From what I have seen, this manga seems to be becoming somewhat of a movement. Get behind it!

I challenge you find the flaw.

HinaXAnyone's avatar By on Jul 2, 2011

I started reading this mainly because I needed to balance out all of the drama and shounen mangas I read with some comedy, and this DEFINITELY did the trick!

Story: It begins as a revenge story and develops into so much more. Even though it still is about getting back at a guy, it also incorporates finding one's true identity after being dependent for so long. It discusses vulnerability and how pain, although no one likes it, is necessary for growth. It is heartwarming and also hilariously comedic. I cannot count how many times I have literally laughed out loud or had to take a moment to recollect myself while reading this. It may not be COMPLETELY realistic, but the emotions behind it are real enough to make a believer out of anyone.

Art: The artwork is really good for the most part. The flaws only really occur in the males of the serious; sometimes they are drawn disproportionally tall and broad. However, besides that the art is great, ESPECIALLY when Kyouko goes through her "transformations". The clothing and the facial expressions are drawn well and realy capture the essence of each role she takes.

Characters: So good!!! You will be rooting for the main character the entire way. She isn't perfect either. Most of this manga is about her finding a way to accept love back into her heart, however she is fiery, energetic, strong, and most importantly, the kind of heroine that someone can relate to. The supporting characters are well defined as well, each with their own set of personality quirks that make them fun and refreshing. There may sometimes be a lot of characters and it does sometimes get hard to keep track of, but they are all so fun that this doesn't become an issue.

Overall: A great manga that is doing things right. It is fun and entertaining. It also does go into deeper topics without losing the levity that the story relies on. It is a great read for all times. Definitely one to read!

Brimae's avatar By on Jan 8, 2015

Skip Beat is an amazing manga. There are many things about it that can't help but bring me to read it, such as the stronge, cute, hilarious lead Kyoko. The beautiful drawing style. Or teh plot line which has you make a personal connection to the events that are occuring around her. The only problem with this manga, it doesn't update fast enough for my taste! I've perosnally read it over and over again, and suggest all who are interested in quirky, talented, surprising and clumsy things, read Skip Beat, because it has all that and so much more. <3

Katspearl's avatar By on Jan 21, 2014

Story: Skip Beat is my favorite story in manga, anime, and even the live action drama! The story is deep but funny and light-hearted with the characters each having some emotional problems having to do with love while the setting is in the world of showbiz.

Art: The art may be a bit unsettling at first since the characters are definitely elongated, but the facial expressions are amazing and the art starts to grow on you after awhile. I love the switch between chibi in the light parts and the detailed expressions in the emotional parts.

Character: The characters are all well planned and characterized, especially the protagonist Kyoko. She's not your typical female protagonist since she is very innocent except for the revenge for Sho. My heart really goes out to her! Ren and Sho as well are well characterized with emotions and character depth. Even though you are meant to hate Sho, I really can't hate him for too long because of his character flaws. This story also portrays the different types of relationships well.

Enjoyment: The rollercoaster that is Skip Beat is definitely a fun one! As Ren and Kyoko get closer, there is more and more tension and the depth is well balanced with the funny parts and chibi.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this manga, even if you don't typically read shoujo.

XACiel's avatar By on Nov 6, 2011

Skip Beat! Is a manga that I did not expect much from. The summary given did not give a very interesting inlook on the story, but once I began reading it, I couldn't stop. I'm on my fourth, (yes, fourth,) run of re-reading it, and the humor of it still makes me literally laugh and giggle at nearly every page of the adorable, quirky, hilarious spaz that Kyoko, the main character, brings into the story, as well as all the other characters. The characterization of every character in the story is amazing. Kyoko's character is so complex and yet relatable that she is quite unlike any character from an anime or manga that I've seen. She is so crazy, and wise and mature and naive all at the same time that it's hard to pinpoint exactly what she is, because she is in fact all of these things. Ren, the love interest, is at first cold and sarcastic towards her, which isn't rare at all to see in a manga. What's different with Ren is that he doesn't get caught up instantly in love with Kyoko, he battles with himself, and is his own character, rather than a generic sarcastic-bad-boy love interest. The characters in Skip Beat! (and there's a plethora of them) are all so wonderfully made that they make the story interesting when the romance in the story develops slowly. Unlike most, Skip Beat!'s man protagonist is not ultimately focused on love. I fact, she refuses to allow herself to be in love until about 120+ chapters in. Instead she focuses on her revenge of her childhood friend, Sho, and creating her career as an actress to achieve her revenge. The manga is so long, that you become attached to every character and when the romance does start, you are completely and 100% intrigued and hooked. The only bummer, is that the chapters are so slow to be released, that once you get to the newest release point, you have to wait agonizingly long to know what happens next. But it's worth it, and I HIGHLY suggest reading this manga!