Rosario to Vampire

Epimondas's avatar By on Apr 9, 2015

This may well be a 10 but it is so close to call.  The manga is a superb creation.  It is a mystery why the anime version short changed the manga so badly that it essentially became a completely different and far weaker story with much weaker characters and far more repetitive nonsensical actions.  The manga is way different however and is in a class all of its own.  Stan Lee would have been proud if such a manga were added to the Marvel line, it is that good.  This is one of the best mangas I have ever read it shines above most all other such creations and even gives many a Western comic and novel a good run for the money.  Few stories do such an excellent job at slowly evolving and building up characters as this one does.  It begins so innocently and gradually, the reader is at liberty to dismiss it and fold it up in the mind only to realize much later that, "OH ya".  The subtlty is sublime.  The participation of Tskunai in his own fate is grand.  He doesn't always have to depend on his monster friends, especially Mocha for every single problem.  He has is own wits, gifts, tenacity, strengths, weaknesses, and choices he can use.  Mocha is not some crutch to lean on for every rinse and repeat type single problem as seen in that silly virtually useless and pointless anime twisted up to crap version of this story.  The anime treats her like a tool to call on whenever trouble strikes and her rosary comes off.  Her character hardly changes especially her vampire form in the anime, but this is not the case by far in the manga, she does evolve.  She is a real genuine and strong yet very compelling character easily gripping the readers attention far unlike the anime version of her which actually due to the repetitive pointless over used way she is treated that it actually makes her a much weaker character in the anime.  She lacks a lot of the depth, background, and sense of trial and triumphs her life delivered her.  You get none of the detailed angles behind each of the characters revealed.  The characters have far more depth in the manga while the anime they almost seem one sided like poster cut out versions of themselves.

You get alot more emotional twists and turns like a rollercoaster in the manga.  Each interaction with other characters takes on a story in of themselves which alone far outshine the sad attempt on television.  It is almost as gripping as any story you might get hooked to reading from start to finish in one go.  You have to seriously wonder if the idiots that made that anime ever bothered to pick up and read even a single issue of the manga it is so far different and so crappy compared to the manga.  It would be a bit like trying to make Star Wars with nothing but stop action puppets like Gumby.  Each character participates very intimately to the story.  They each have their own skills and personality evolve over time as told from such things as their own little side stories which adds great depth to the overall story.  You have to love where the story leads and how it gets there.  Tskunai becomes sort of a leader in the manga and the other friends in his group seem to adapt a bit more to his human personality.  it makes all the monsters at monster high to some degree more human.  It does an excellent job of trying to balance the strengths and weaknesses of monsters and humans and their inter relation to each other.

There are plenty of pleasant surprises popping up in the story that to reveal it might give away too much about the manga that you should experience for yourself.  I wish the story kept going and maybe hopefully it will.  And with any luck someone will do an actual anime rather than a slop job cardboard cut out cheap crappy version of it.

Ryan1555's avatar By on Apr 11, 2014

This manga is a great work of art from my perspective . Even tho at the begining the art quality was a little bit different , but as the books kept coming out the art kept getting better and better. thats is why i gave it a 9.6 .

The story of this manga is fastinating all on its own . About a human boy entering into the world of monsters and then in end becoming one himself . Generally when people think of monsters in this society they think of terribly looking monsters . I like this manga for this on aspect that it made the monsters look awesome . Even some of them cute ;3 haha . Anyways another thing about the story was you really didn't know what was going to happen until it happened . I wasn't ever bored .

With the character devolepmet i found all the characters all interesting and unique . But personally i think this manga was going towards the sex appeal at the begining but i was wrong , the characters after getting settled in became much more than the tipical sex appeal . Granted the manga was from my perspective for mainly guys , but when i kept on reading i thought to myself why not for both . There is the romance for the girls , the sex appeal for the guys , comedy at some parts for everyone . But this story was not just about sex , fighting the typical stuff. I think this story is about the growth of the main character Tsukune and him trying to find himself in the world . Also being able to show his true feelings .

This manga is one of my favorites and i hope it will become one of your favorites too . Enjoy

9.6/10 art
Melodux's avatar By on Jun 12, 2011

I've been wanting to review this manga for a while, and I finally got around to doing it. I usually go pretty in-depth with my reviews, but this review is probably going to be pretty short because I realize how much I hate this manga...

Story: Look, it was a great idea, and it could've gone somewhere nice. But the reasons for the story advancing were all the same! The main character gets attacked by all these monsters because they can't believe that the main character is "with" one of the hottest girls in school. That's basically what every chapter was about. Not to mention all the action was the same as well, Tsukune either pulled the rosary off of Moka, and Moka was then allowed to kick the enemy {which I found to be TERRIBLE character development, and insulting on the powers of a vampire and the "high and mighty" status the manga gives vampires. All they can do is kick and mooch blood off of humans? Lame}. OR, Tsukune uses the vampire blood that Moka gives him, and rips the enemy apart {don't even get me started on this one, no matter how many times they said "don't use it, you'll die," stupid Tsukune did, and NEVER DIED}.

Another terrible plot element in Rosario + Vampire was that the same people kept coming back to cause the main cast trouble. After the art teacher in the beginning {who, evidently, comes back in the end, surprise surprise}, the reader {and the cast} should've known NOT TO TRUST THE STAFF. A majority of their enemies were teachers or testosterone-ridden students. When the writer decided to do something different, and throw in a school gang, the members' abilities weren't different at all, making all of the fights {shockingly} the same. The manga artist didn't even try to make them LOOK different monster-wise, either.

There were absolutely no plot twists in the manga. And when I say that, I mean that everything that happened was completely predictable, you saw EVERYTHING coming. Except for the end, which I'll get to in a minute. When the manga DOES decide to pick up some better plot, it's towards the end. And I feel like the plot-full part should've been in the middle, to let the author's creative juices continue to flow. I think the author didn't know what they were doing, and didn't budget their time well, because there was no development until the last volume or so, and the ending was so short and just -- CUT OFF! Literally, the resolution happened in all of about a chapter. It was like; "oh, everyone go home, there's damage that no one can help with cleaning up. And there will be busses to the human world for whatever reason" *Tsukune skips on home, and of course, all the girls that don't know how to keep their legs shut follow* "you somehow got this letter in the human world, you stayed at home for half a day, but you can come back now." Tsukune: "Oh, I'm not going back." Everyone else: "kbye." THE END.

Art: I DO have to give the artist some credit, because I know that some of those buildings, monsters, and buff characters are hard to draw. But SERIOUSLY? Vary-it-up a bit! The characters didn't look any different aside from their hair and their breast size.

Characters: Even though Tsukune was the main character, you knew NOTHING about him. Aside from the fact that he wanted in Moka's pants. Hey played Good Guy Greg, but you never knew any motive behind it besides MOKA. Honestly? If a girl was putting me through THAT much crap, she would NOT have been worth it. Most of the main cast of girls had a sole motive of Tsukune. Which is the definiton of Harem, I know, but they didn't really go after the guy in unique, characteristic ways. I think that there were too many "creepy" characters in there, as well. "Creepy" is usually paired with mysterious, and that's OK, but after about 2, I think you're just getting lazy with character development. I'm not sure if any of you know about the whole "closed-eyed characters" thing, but they're supposed to be wise, smart, and know everything. The teacher that had her eyes closed seemed to be the most apathetic and ignorant one of all...

This manga is only good for bad fanfiction and a spark for tentacle rape fantasies. If that's what you're looking for in a manga? Well, I could tell you some series that are a much less waste of your time and can still accomplish that for ya. Don't expect anything out of this manga. If you're thinking about reading it because it has "vampire" in the title. Don't. I only read it to see if it got any better, and it didn't. I am not moving on to the second one, nor am I interested in the anime. Good day sir.

1.5/10 overall
mangaislife's avatar By on Nov 13, 2010

Premise - A human stuck in a monster school falls in love with a vampire.

Plot Exposition - It's almost like this chapter is identical to the last one!

Protagonist - I can't criticise him, merely because he's not a character. He has no personality, nothing interesting about him, he's just...nothing. When he becomes something he's really just there for coexistence speeches after he pounds the heck out of some baddy.

Love Interest- What might have been an interesting character turns into a stupid monster-killing machine very quickly.

Supporting Cast - A bit more interesting than the two leads. And by that I mean they have a possible personality.

Romance- This is cheesy and poorly done.

Action - This is poorly done.

Comedy - Oh look, an overused ecchi joke that's not funny.

Tragedy - YES!

Story -The pacing's okay, but it's repetitive and it just is terrible. It's inconsistent and incredibly cheesy, but not in the good way. Often becomes painful to read.

Characters -Ah yes, the crucial element of manga. Or, in this case, the excuse for ecchi.

Art - It's good. Doesn't match the narrative at all, but it is good.

Recommended? - NO NO NO NO NO NO.

2.6/10 overall
thor123's avatar By on Apr 18, 2015

I started reading this after seeing all the positive reviews on this manga, while only 2 reviews were negative. Well, here's a third negative review, because this was really a trainwreck.

The premise is, in short: a human accidentally gets in a school for monsters. With this kind of premise, you can get anywhere of course, and thus it can be interesting. Also, I like monsters in manga/anime, so this got me interested immediately.

However, the story gets repetitive all too quickly: the largest part of the chapters is just about someone who is jealous/angry towards Tsukune and/or Moka, and thus they attack those two, or at least one of them. Next we get some senseless parts to the fight, until one of the two possible endings. And yes, there really are only two ways to end a fight in this manga: a) Tsukune takes of Moka's rosary, thus unleashing her powers (why are her powers sealed anyway? meh, who cares? the author doesn't, so why should you) and then she proceeds to kick the crap out of the enemy or b) Tsukune uses the powers of the vampire blood Moka injected into him. In all the different fights, these two are the only endings (except for one time, but you see that one coming as well).

We only get one moderately interesting arc, completely with Light Yagami-ripoff! Still, this one arc is near the end of the manga, and it's still a low level for my standards.

Of course, I can't forget to mention the fact that during the story, Tsukune's harem also gradually grows. Why? Well, because having important male  characters aside from the MC is so impossible in the real world, so the author didn't bother putting in any other male characters for the MC to befriend.

So, the story is repetitive, with almost no actual plot twists (you know, twists you didn't see coming from miles away). This makes reading this manga so absolutely boring it became a task to keep reading.

- Tsukune, the average harem lead: a boring paper cardboard, who constantly nags about how important friendship is and puts himself in danger without any reason. Seriously dude, just call your super-strong girlfriend and let her do the heavy lifting instead of making her transform you into a monster! (after which he starts whining about not wanting to become a monster --' ) Aside from this, we know next to nothing except for the fact that he's in love with Moka but is too shy to tell her.

- Moka, his main love interest. She's one of the few characters with more than one side to her character. Problem is: the only reason for this is the fact that she has split personalities. Outer Moka is a kind girl, Inner Moka a real monster. That's more or less everything we get to know about her.

- Kurumu, a succubus. Yeah, the type of monster she is says it all,the only thing driving her is Tsukune's d*ck. This goes more or less without saying since she's a member of the harem, but in her case it's kind of extreme.

- Mizore, aka Tsukune's stalkster. Because just adding her to the harem was too mainstream. Again, the only thing we know is that she likes Tsukune.

- Yukari, the loli witch. She openly says she wants a threesome with Moka and Tsukune. She's supposed to be intelligent too. In the end, the only thing she's used for is comic relief.

- Enemies: all paper cardboards too, except for mr Light Yagami (Hokuto) and Ruby they are all just irredeemable villains. There are also other (failed) attempts to give an enemy some depth, when they confront the people from the disciplinary committee. All will be forgotten within 1 week.

- Ruby: more or less the only interesting character, although she is hardly ever shown after her first appearance

Art:

looked a bit plain to me, but not bad either

Other:

- although this manga has received an ecchi tag, there is hardly any ecchi content. I'm not saying that's bad, but you should know it if you want to read a real ecchi

- there are some funny moments, for which I've given bonus points

Overall:

Reading this is a waste of time. If you want vampires/monsters, a good story or interesting characters, you'd better look elsewhere.