Doubt

Alt titles: Rabbit Doubt

corkboard's avatar By on May 3, 2013

A classic take on the murderer in a locked room story.  This is fairly well executed and very well drawn.  There is some rushing at the end to wrap up the story and some of the inevitable "twists" are a little farfetched, but overall this is a very well told story.  The characters could have used some more development, but if you only care about the whodunit aspect of the story and not about any human qualities of the lambs being led to slaughter, then this is a great one to read.  I highly recommend it.

thor123's avatar By on Apr 17, 2015

Premise: 5 people are locked up with a dead body, and someone in there is the killer. Can be nice, although it is a little unoriginal.

Pacing: the story felt a bit too rushed, making the plot "twists" (although often predictable) feel like they were just stupid. It took away a part of the suspense, which should be the most important in a horror story. Still, there was enough suspense left to keep things interesting

Otherwise the story was ok. Because it was so short and still interesting enough, i read it all in one go.

Art:

good, served it's purpose

none of the characters were really interesting, and there was no real depth to any of them. There was also no development because of the rush in the story

Overall:

although a little unoriginal and rushed, it's still a good read (also, it won't take too much of your time because it's so short)

7.5/10 story
DarthVitrial's avatar By on Feb 16, 2015

It was a pretty good story for the most part  - reminded me a lot of Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, which is one of my favorite games.

But the ending...to call it a plot hole doesn't begin to cover it. The wolf's identity is disappointing, and illogical, and the more you think about it, the less sense it makes. And it goes downhil from there, with the rest of the ending making less and less sense. Note: to discuss the issues, I have to spoil the villain's identity.  Read further at your own risk.

So, the hypnotist did it. And...somehow hypnotized everyone into thinking she was dead. Even though she specifically says later on that A: that's not how her hypnosis works and B: That several of the characters, including the main character, were immune to her hypnosis. So...logic hole 1. And somehow she's out of her wheelchair, too. Because reasons.

And...why did she need the main character to call her? And say some random code word to "create the perfect wolf"? If her hypnosis can do that...she didn't need someone else to say the code word.

As for said "perfect wolf"...so, how did she go from comatose, criticallty injured, and strapped to a bed, to holding a knife over the protagonist in the course of a minute?

I still have no idea what hypno-girl's motives were either. Just...kill as many people as possible, in a horribly convoluted way?

Basically, the ending is nonsense. It's pretty good until then, though.

isthisnametaken3's avatar By on Oct 13, 2014

I very much enjoyed this manga, considering I like the more messed-up ones anyway.

The story had interesting twists and plots, however the characters occasionally bothered me - espescially the portrayal of all the girl characters as weak or scared all the time.

Tha artwork I loved, but oh my gosh it put my off white rabbits. The spookiness and psychological aspect of these mangas really made them page-turners; with the added gore it was epic to read.

Kudos, Yoshiki.

VacuumTan's avatar By on May 11, 2013

I hadn't read this Manga before but I had heard some pretty good stuff about it. Some people told me how suspenseful and thrilling this whole story was, so I was freaking pumped when I bought it almost a year ago.

I pretty much sucked up the four volumes in no time, and damn, was I

disappointed.

Yeah, you heard me right. Maybe people got my expectations up, but to me, Doubt will forever remain a barely mediocre little story. I expected genius writing, endless gore and blow-your-mind revelations. But I didn't really find either of that to a greater extent. Yet I don't want to sound like I was hating, so...

ABOUT THE STORY:

• The lighthearted feeling in the beginning that the author had been aiming for seemed somewhat half-assed. Especially when putting cover art like that at the front of the volume. It will make the reader grow suspicious and takes away a lot of the possible shocking appeal. Think of Higurashi, for example. After two episodes you know how it works, but it still punches you in the gut with a lot of gore when the cheery beginning is over.
  • So they are knocked out and thrown into an empty place and are forced to play a game that apparently includes killing off some of the others.... Well, that sure does ring some bells.
  • The weariness aimed at one another doesn't really feel like it does make sense. I'm not sure, but maybe putting someone else's perspective in would've made it clearer and the characters would seem to have more logically explainable emotions.
  • Also, the final reveal... well, I didn't think of it, but it wasn't exactly shocking or anything. "dafuq did i just read." Sums it up nicely.
  • And the way it ends... it's the kind of thing you can pull in a horror-game, but not like that. You need some jumpscare-sfx for that.

ABOUT THE CHARACTERS:

• They all pick up some sort of cliché. And, while some Manga can pull even that off, Doubt just has clichéed characters.
  • YU: The typical protagonist that doesn't get anything but still makes it, somehow. The fact that he's the one missing... a certain something... doesn't make it better. Neither does the fact that he's the main love-interest's love-interest.
  • MITSUKI: The typical damsel in distress, the fighter for love and justice, Heart Aino and Bang Shishigami's forbidden love-child- that's what Mitsuki is. Well, until everything goes down. But even so, she's just that plain.
  • HARUKA: The sexy onee-chan that messes with Yu's hormones. She's only there because TEEEEETS.
  • EIJI: The high school delinquent. Smoking and drinking, really.
  • REI: She doesn't exactly fit a single cilché. It's more like she's a mixture of a few. A crippled psychic and an adorable distant loli. Until everything goes down. But even then, she's still kind of... predictable.
  • HAJIME: Mysterious older megane with a pretty face and doubtful reasoning and background.

ABOUT THE ART:

• It's decent, overall. I'll just put a few cons below.
  • The faces are sometimes entirely off. Like, seriously. The mouths go anywhere and the eyes travel up and down. Also, some expressions aren't as expressive as one might want them to be.
  • Physics. No, you can't keep up a limp body by just driving a stake through each hand and the chest. Unless you impale the person's chest so hard that the stake goes through and you can still dig it 20cm into the wall. Then maybe it won't go floppy-floppy.
  • When Hajime first appears he is, if you pay attention to where his behind is, sitting INSIDE the wall. Or above the floor. Your choice.
  • Sometimes, the blood splatters are kind of awkward. Especially below girls. I mean... yeah.
  • Something that really is anticlimatic is that the backgrounds aren't dark and elaborate enough. It's one of the most important things to get the atmosphere right. Even in an empty room the walls have to be dark and the ceiling and floor need to be detailed enough to see each and every crack.
  • Spaghetti-anatomy or suddenly becoming fat. It happens frequently when the character is not the main person in the picture. And sometimes even then. But that can be forgiven easily.

Doubt is labeled 16+ in Germany. I don't see why.

Where is the gore that you promised me? Where is the stomach-turning story?

I've seen a lot better, but I've also seen worse.

Final rating: Meh.