Loveless

NekoKriszty's avatar By NekoKriszty on Mar 19, 2010

This week was my third time reading Loveless. Before I review, I'd like to say that this is the only boyxboy pairing manga that I have read and liked, not counting doujinshi.

So, what is it in this particular comic that makes me disregard the flaws, weird characterizations, guys who look like girls, and the pedophilia? The genuine feelings of the main character, a 12 year old boy who is the receiver of child abuse from his psychopath mother, a witness of his brother's - who is his sole defender and role model - brutal murder and the victim of schizophrenia. This boy, Aoyagi Ritsuka, seems like someone who is too old mentally for his age - reads a lot, tells his classmates that they are idiots on his first day, and keeps to himself. As the other main character of the story, 21 year old Agatsuma Soubi appears and declares that he's a friend of Ritsuka's late brother, we witness the metamorphosis this kid goes through as he becomes someone who questions everything, most of all himself, believes he has no value, and is ready to give his whole being to someone who would finally be honest with him... And someone who is able to love him.

The manga is in a bit of a standstill at the moment, but it's worth the reading. I think the way we can follow how a psychologically damaged boy suffers through his childhood in a world where you can see whether someone is a virgin or not by only looking at them (literally), finally unravels the mystery behind his beloved brother's murder, learns to make friends and become attached to people, and accept that no man is flawless... This kind of mindrape makes this manga my favorite, making me get lost in a different world while reading.