Liar Game

griffioen's avatar By griffioen on May 27, 2011

Liar game is all about a game wich is obviously called liar game. In the game they will lend everyone a huge som of money (usually 100 million yen but in one case even 400 million yen) and at the end of the game they have to pay that back. While some people makes loads of money, others get an enormous debt.

The games,at first glance,look totally boring. But the writer makes a boring game like musical chairs into an interesting occurance. The story centers about kanzaki nao. A really honest girl. Together with akiyama they participate in the liar game. While in the liar game they have to face off against other masterminds.

I can´t really compare this manga to others because it´s the third or fourth manga I read. Before I was more into anime and I have to say I would love them them to make an anime about it. Even though nothin much happens, there is a lot of tension and at the moment you are sure you´ve figured out what they plan to do, it shows to be something a lot more fascinating. ( to be honest, I always start wondering what plan they have but I didn´t guess right even once, it seems Im not suited to become a mastermind because I couldnt even figure out the trick behind the most simple games)

I would recommand this manga to you, if you like high stakes games where masterminds face each other to be the ultimate winner of the liar game.

Airotia's avatar By Airotia on Dec 16, 2011

Story: Liar Game starts off with a simple enough concept. A girl gets a package in the mail from the "Liar Game Corporation" full of 100 million yen, and finds out that she is playing against her old teacher. At the end of the month they each have to pay 100 million yen back to the LGT... but the catch is, if you can steal the other person's 100 million yen, then you get to keep the extra and the other person gets put into debt that they can't possibly ever pay back.

So the girl, Nao Kanzaki, gets easily tricked by her old teacher and enlists the help of a mysterious dude named Shinichi Akiyama. From there the two of them progress through multiple rounds of the Liar Game, each round different and more difficult than the last. The winners of the higher rounds win more money than they could have won from previous rounds, but the losers are entered into even more debt.

Art: The art style is nothing notable. It gets the point across in a clean way, but backgrounds tend to be pretty secondary. There are a lot of scenes that just focus on people's facial expressions where the background is greyed out, and the character designs aren't exceptionally note-worthy, aside from the huge range of character designs the manga employs. In many manga, each girl looks indistinguishable from the others save for the hairstyles. However in the Liar Game, it is often easy enough to spot the more frequented characters just by looking at their eyes alone.

Characters: You don't see the main characters outside of the Liar Game often, unless it is mentioning the few days leading up to the new round, anyways. Backstory is sometimes revealed and there is loads of development, showing easily how some people become less selfless or how someone who was an enemy at the start eventually becomes a loyal ally.

Most notable is watching Nao Kanzaki get tougher and (somewhat) smarter through Akiyama's coaching.

Overall: Overall the manga is very interesting, if you like heavily psychological manga. It has a lot of text but the games are so suspenseful with loads of dramatic twists and turns that make it a worthwhile read. For some point of reference, think of the really talkative episodes of Death Note and remove all of the supernatural-ness.