Kyou, Koi wo Hajimemasu

Stephy's avatar By Stephy on Jan 4, 2013

In my personal opinion, "Kyou, koi wo hajimemasu" is my favourite manga of all times :) . It reflects on real life events for high school students and is highly recommended for teens. The main persona "Tsubaki" is a girl who does not know how to dress herself up to look pretty, the concept of "change" is very evident in this manga. Not knowing how to dress up herself, her time is spent on studying and therefore is one of the top students.

"Kyouta" is a very goodlooking player who is very outgoing, gutsy and always confident however he too, is one of the top students which is cliche. He supresses Tsubaki in studying as well.

The art and graphics are very desirable for teens, and the characters are great. The story reflects on real life relationships, feelings, is romantic, has a touch of comedy and smut. I love how the story is not too childish and actually conveys how high school students feel :D

To be honest, on the first couple of pages, I though Kyouta was ugly with the long hair, but tsubaki cuts it off as they argue in the first chapter. Hope you enjoy. The characters turn more attractive as  story progresses!

RadiantStarr's avatar By RadiantStarr on Feb 7, 2014

Kyou, Koi wo Hajimemasu is Minami Kanan's best work by far. I remember starting this series because the cover art was gorgeous (and indeed, Minami-sensei has a beautiful art style). I wonder to myself, if the art was not good, would I have miseed out on such a wonderful shoujo manga? I would deeply regret not reading this.

The premise of the story is cliche, good girl falls in love with the bad boy. Hibino is your typical Mary Sue, one who has gone from being an outcast to fitting in and making friends, and Tsubaki is your typical bad boy gone good. And in the beginning of the series, though the scenarios Minami-sensei thrusts our star couple in tug at your hearstrings and makes your heart race, it seemed no different from many other shoujo mangas I have read.

The manga's real merits began to shine as the story progressed. Minami-sensei creates very relatable, realistic (okay... somewhat realistic but without a touch of fantasy, it gets boring, no? But Minami-sensei does touch upon realistic issues that many high schoolers have) scenarios, allowing readers to truly immerse themselves in the manga and connect with the characters. The fact that Minami-sensei doesn't end the manga when they start going out is a huge plus. As a shoujo veteran, it's tiring and frustating when a manga ends right there. You think to yourself, what happens afterwards? There's more to a relationship than just simply getting together.

The anxiety of your first time with the guy you love, the fear of diverging from the career path your parents chose for you... Tsubaki and Hibino tackle each and every obstacle together, overcoming it, and strenghthening their bond each and every time. One of my favorite things about this manga is that Minami-sensei allows the two to truly think about their problems rather than quickly solving them for a quick happy ending. So not only does their relationship grow, but they themselves mature and grow as people. Finishing this manga, I felt a great sense of pride, seeing how they changed from chapter 1. The character development is some of the best I've seen in the shoujo genre.

I highly recommend this to others to read. It's a beautifully done manga that will leave you completely satisfied. Enjoy!