Black Butler

Alt titles: Kuroshitsuji

FeenixDOWN's avatar By on Dec 29, 2012

My all time favorite manga.

The story is dark and unique. I also like how it is set back in the late 1800's 10/10

The art is so mind-blowingly beautiful. The characters @-@ OMFG. The B.E.S.T I've seen.  100 million/10

The characters, are not only GORGEOUS, but they have good backgrounds and definate and unusual personalities. Did i mention they were gorgeous!  10/10

OVERALL: 10 million/10

I just wish that they would have held off the making of the anime for a while and followed the manga instead, i would love to see the current chapters animated.

Maybe they can do what they did with Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood.  Remake the anime but this time follow the manga.

PoisonBite's avatar By on Jun 26, 2012

My opinion on Kuroshitsuji....Well to be completely honest, i love the manga so far. Im only on volume 9, and am already captured by the story. Its sure to keep your attention. The story has a serious, yet comedic, outline. Very interesting manga. The character, Sebastian Michaelis matches the role of the butler very well. Definately an amazing character. Im anxious to finish the rest of the volumes. I highly recommend this manga.

ShizukaTheOtaku's avatar By on Jul 2, 2015

I just have to say Kuroshitsuji is just a work of art. Really. The characters are just drawn with such detail, and all have their own distinct personality which makes the story that much more worthwhile. It's set in the 19th century in England and the creator Yana Toboso really executed this era, through the clothing style, the setting and even the little things like the dining.

On the other hand the story changes rather frequently, with each arc bringing in a new twist, but it all goes back to the main idea of Ciel getting his revenge quite well.

Overall this manga was one of the first I've read but I'm still obsessed with it till this day and I hope it doesn't end any time in the near future.

7.5/10 story
9.5/10 art
EchelonHunt's avatar By on Apr 1, 2015

Victorian Era? Check.
Sherlock Holmes-style Mystery? Check.
Dark themes? Check.
Comedy? Check.
Unique insight on human nature? Check.
Strong-willed protagonist? Check.
One hell of a butler? Check.
Who takes in stray cats? Check,
Interesting dynamic and relationship between protagonist and butler? Check.

Every arc of Black Butler is filled with their own sub-plots, dealing with the specific characters in the stand-alone arcs. In the beginning, it seems bare and almost lacking in substance, I feel this is just laying down the skeleton of the story and characters, for the purpose of fleshing them out later on when we least expect it.

And oh boy, do they get fleshed out.

It's a pleasure to watch the twists and turns of characters and the stories, dare I say, it makes it re-readable material again and again without getting old.

Great suspense, top-notch story-telling.

I don't want the manga to end but the question is always at the back of my mind; how will the author end this spectacular series?

Will Sebastian consume Ciel's soul at the end? Or will he continue serving Ciel until the day he dies of old age? Somehow, I like the latter option better, it would be bittersweet.

MelodyKondrael's avatar By on Jun 21, 2013

First off, the best reason to read this manga is if you are at all into classic literature. I'm surprised I haven't seen it brought up yet: Black Butler is at its heart a Faust story with Colin from the Secret Garden as the lead. This made me very happy.

Having established that, my least favourite parts of the manga are always the bits that don't have to do with the main story. (And the occasional fanservice. Seriously. Didn't need!)

The rest of the manga is a cherry-picking of the best images of the late Victorian era, around 1890-1910; while technically it is 1889, nods are made to events that have not happened such as the Titanic.

The highlights include zombies & shinigamis on the Titanic (complete with a James Cameron reference, lol), Sherlock Holmes in the Phantomhive mansion (complete with an appearance by Jeremy Brett), and Jack the Ripper (complete with social commentary on the period yay!). The anime also includes the Hope Diamond.

To bring this back to the subject of fanservice, I need to put to rest the idea of a yaoi relationship between Sebastian and Ciel based on their master/servant relationship which apparently is appealing to some people despite the innate creepiness of the very idea. Sorry, ick. =P

The things that Sebastian does for Ciel - help him dress, etc - are rather period. Read some good classic British literature about upper-class kids. Kids like Ciel don't know how to dress themselves. Part of this is because the higher class you are, the more likely your outfit is something that you are not going to be able to get into by yourself; and the rest is because from birth servants have been there to attend to your every need. Why bother?

Sebastian does read as a creep sometimes. He's a demon who intends to devour Ciel's soul. Yeah. I think he warrants a little creepiness. But he never seems to have a sexual interest in Ciel. The author seems to get some fun out of fanbaiting, however. I'm not even sure why because there's obviously no real shipping going on.

As a side note, it's a very dark manga. Lots of blood (and dismemberment in the case of zombies) and the villains tend to commit crimes against children which can be disturbing. And yet it's also very funny. Sebastian, despite his evilness, manages to be very dry and witty intentionally, while at times he's utterly hilarious without meaning to be.

Ultimately, though, it's Ciel who keeps my interest. He's such a small boy taking on the world. Will the weight break him? Will he go mad, or will he go bad? He's got so much that wasn't his fault; but his reactions are what matters. So far, he's reacting very darkly; yet I have sympathy for him and hope that he grows up a little.

Will Ciel, like Faust, escape the deal? Remains to be seen but I expect he will - if he's not destroyed by his own madness. It also remains to be seen whether Sebastian will go soft and keep Ciel from hurting himself with his revenge quest. Again, I wouldn't be surprised.