Kuroko no Basket

Alt titles: Kuroko's Basketball

BigDumbOhFace's avatar By BigDumbOhFace on Oct 8, 2014

I came across Kuroko no Basket because of a friend's recommendation.  We were just talking about anime in general and this particualr manga came up.  I checked it out as soon as I got home because it was the first basketball manga/anime I've heard of.

Teiko Middle School's basketball was a dominant force as they won the championships for the last 3 years.  During those 3 years there was a group of 5 players that came once in a generationc called "The Generation of Miracles".  However there was a 6th player that's gone unnoticed by the media but those on the team fully respected him.  That 6th member is Kuroko Tetsuya.  Now all in high school, Kuroko sets out to beat him in a relatively unknown high school, Seirin High.  Pretty good engaging story.  However, it's completely unrealistic but that's manga for you.  There's a guy that can shoot from completely the entire length of the court and hit nothing but net.  There's a guy that can literally just throw the ball at the basket and it'll go in.  It's ridiculous but it's still pretty darn good.

Art

Basic shounen art style.  Not much to say.  Nothing really special.  However, it's still pretty good quality.  In general I find that all sports manga are difficult to have.  I feel it's way better to see the entire animation instead of just picture by picture.  You don't really get that perfect picture and it doesn't really feel good.  I want to fully see someone getting dunked on.  Although it's called a poster, it's just not my thing.

In all mangas there's always someone that you have to hate.  There's none here.  Everyone is just absolutely loveable.  Only one comes to mind but he's only in for one time and that's it.  But yeah... everyone was great.  They were all really cool and tough to not like.

Overall

Amazing!  Great story telling with good quality art.  It's a must read for sports manga fans.

KailaKin's avatar By KailaKin on Sep 28, 2014

Yes, this review does contain the odd spoiler. And by "odd spoiler" I do mean the ending.

If I'm honest I finished reading this manga for two reasons only. The first was its popularity among those that had read it and the second was pure stubbornness. In the end I feel slightly disappointed with it, and wish I hadn't bothered. The main problem here was the predictability, which while generally forgiveable in a sports manga was just too much. Regardless of how much thought went into the characters and their backstory, regardless of the comedic moments, regardless of the artwork, the predictability just overshadowed everything.

For me there was no sense of tenseness, no heartfelt desire for Seirin to triumph. It's true that I liked Kuroko, but this had a secondary impact on my enjoyment of the story - when I felt his storyline or use was being misused, or when he failed to achieve something yet again, I just felt irritated at the manga itself. I wanted Kuroko to succeed, but rather than wanting to read on when he was down on his luck, rather than routing for him or feeling sorry for him...I just wanted to stop reading instead. I felt that it was implausible that Kuroko would end up in such and such situation, etc etc. The mangaka was trying to achieve one effect, and I was being affected in a completely different manner.

More so, usually I'd be supporting the team/player the manga followed, but I was completely unsatisfied with the ending. Seirin winning? I'd have been more satisfied if they'd lost.

All these "oh he's entered the zone" and "oh wait, now he's entered the zone too," and then "oh but there's more to the zone than that, see there's a zone beyond the zone" actually....I didn't like it? In a sports manga like say Prince of Tennis, they do have all these special moves and ridiculous talents but I never go "oh, this again, this is just silly" because it gets me excited and I want to see what they do next... but in this manga I just couldn't (to an extent). Rather than get excited, rather than increasing the tension, it just didn't do anything for me.

I was all over Kuroko's misdirection, but by the time it became zone-this and zone-that, I was yawning.

The stupid thing here is that I'd give the story a fair rating at times, because of the character backstories, and the fact that everything ties together, and I'd give the art a high score because I really like the art style, and I'd give the characters a high score because they were diverse, and I thought quite well done... but despite all that I couldn't give it an overall high score for the chief reason that I was bored a good proportion of the time.

Tennou's avatar By Tennou on Sep 2, 2014

Just finished  Kuroko No Basket manga …..this is probably the first ever sports manga I have ever read and have to say…

It provided me with a pleasant surprise, this particular series just opened my eyes to what I was missing, it just drew me in from the first chapter. The character design is well done, this series is much more than just basketball and some crazy guys playing sports.

Each of the characters are actually well developed and you actually end up learning a huge lot about each of them, from personality to reasons why they enjoy the game and what gives them that extra edge when playing. The story progressed nicely and had a nice flow to it with really intense matches and some lighthearted comedy. I'd say the only downside is that it's somewhat predictable, but don't get me wrong, it's still a very interesting story. There weren't any parts of the manga that really stood out as lacking or rushed to me.

At times, due to it being a manga it felt compelling to keep on reading, as I wanted to see more and know more on what was occurring, reading the manga allowed me to truly get a feel for what was happening through their minds and how it must take a toll to even get so far in doing something that kills you inside, but at the same time, ignoring the pain and striving to succeed.

Though at the end of the day, to me, the ending was a bit of a let down, not entirely though, since it felt warm, it felt like I wanted to cry, since at every moment I felt for each character, but the only thing that really lacked, was closure of each character, since that the thing that I wanted to know, what was each characters future, would they end up in the NBA or going against the world in a world tournament, or if Kuroko could even go into the Zone….

Overall, I really did enjoy this series and I'd recommend it to anyone unless you absolutely detest sports, in which case this may not be the manga for you as they do play basketball a lot. But if you are unsure how you feel about sports manga and want to give one a try, this series is a great start. Kuroko no Basket will definitely be added on to my list of favourite manga!!! So awesome!!!

But if you are one of those, watch the anime as well, the anime does justice to each chapter and combined with the soundtrack and art style, its an amazing adventure and I can’t wait for season 3 of the anime in december!

xviighexvii's avatar By xviighexvii on Oct 11, 2012

I'm not so interested in sports-themed manga and Kuroko no Basket is an EXCEPTION. Kuroko no Basket is about the five Generation of Miracles who are considered as basketball prodigies. They played as a team for Teiko during middle school and defeated all teams. However, rumors spreading says that there is a sixth member known as the "Sixth Phantom". His name is Tetsuya Kuroko.

The story revolves around Kuroko (the Sixth Phantom) and the "Generation of Miracles" who went to different high schools and played the role of ace players of each school's basketball team. In Kuroko's case, he plays as a support for Kagami, Seirin's ace player. He considers himself as a "shadow" and Kagami as a light. Seirin High aims to be Japan's #1 but in order to do so, they have to defeat the teams where the Generation of Miracles play.

So far, I love the flow of the story. It shows the true essence of basketball as a sport for teamplay. Although the skills seem to be a little bit exaggerated, the overall story is awesome! Unexpected things will soon come because Seirin High is just two more steps away from their goal.

**I LOVE KUROKO AND KISE** xDD