If you liked the Kamisama Kiss manga, the Anime-Planet community thinks you'd like:
Both Kamisama Kiss and Shinobi Life showcase the developing relationship between a "protector"-like figure and a girl who is unfamiliar to his lifestyle. Simiarly, both manga deal with the concerns of the lead heroine, and the past lover of the main character.Both manga have fairly established OTPs, though Kamisama Kiss has more humor and supernatural elements than Shinobi Life (which is fairly realistic apart from the central 'timetravel' aspect).
First off, I'll state that these two manga (Shinobi Life and Kamisama Hajimemashita) are in my top ten of all time... thus I may be biased. =) But, if you feel the same, read on: What they have in common:
- The stories both revolve around the couple and their developing relationship.
- Both girls in each story have the male as the protecting figure. In the case of Shinobi it's obviously a ninja, and in the case of Kamisama a fox demon.
- Both girls in each story have trouble adapting to the lifestyle of their male counterpart.
- Both stories have wonderful art, coming from someone who's very picky, and the bishies are lovely.
- Both stories deal with the past of the male counterpart. I won't spoil it for you. =)
- Both can get a little difficult to follow if you skip through or, in my case, have one too many cocktails during your reading session.
- Kamisama has more humor and is more lighthearted.
- Kamisama is a little bit more "episodic" than Shinobi, but still neatly carries the plot.
- Shinobi has many more historical elements, which gives it a more realistic air (aside from the time traveling of course).
Amane has a unique power: if she knows someone's true name, she can control his or her spirit. Because of her unusual stoic attitude and suboptimal social skills, she is seen as creepy by her peers and has a hard time making friends. The only "person" she really talks to is actually her guardian in disguise: Hyoue, a dog-demon, who feeds off of humans' life energy. Amane "feeds" him by kissing him in public, which doesn't with help her public image. Amane and Hyoue must keep their powers a secret while fighting the evil spirits they encounter.
Both of these manga remind me of eachother, but not just the fact that they are about demons and supernatural. In Kamisama Hajimemashita, Tomoe is Nanami's familiar, and in Her Majesty's Dog the Amane tames Kyohei. They also have to do with the main male defending the female lead throughout the story. Both are good reads
Both series take place in modern Japan and both of them are about a goddess and her servant. The thing is in Kamisama Hajimemashita the godess is actualy human and her servant is a youkai, but in Inugamihime no Shimobe the servant is human and the goddess is a youkai. If you want to read a light, japanese-lore-themed romcom, then both of those series should suit your taste.
Kagome was just a normal girl, until one day she fell into a well that brought her to feudal-era Japan. After encountering hordes of demons and discovering that she's the reincarnation of a priestess, Kagome must now journey to protect a sacred jewel from evil with the help of a half-demon named Inuyasha. Along the way they make many enemies and friends, and travel between the modern and feudal eras.
If you're familiar with this manga, you've probably heard this before, but Kamisama Kiss and Inuyasha have many similarities that go beyond the genre of "supernatural" and having youkai.Both are, at the very heart, romance stories. And the leads are very entertaining in their banter.Fans of more recent shojo might favor Kamisama Kiss, due to style or personality. Inuyasha is one of those romance mangas that are tailored to being both "shonen" and "shojo" like...