Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai

Alt titles: The World God Only Knows

Joesama's avatar By on Dec 7, 2014

(excuse my awful grammar/mispellings)

This was the most furfilling manga i've ever read. the characters were so accurate and taught me so much about the generic romance anime situations, characters, scenes, etc. and honestly after reading it, im only in love with game/anime girls. It was absolutley perfect how his arrogant personality and his dislike of the real world eventually was moved because of his realization that it wasnt just a game, and that he was actually hurting the girls who felll in love with him.

It was the perfect mix of comedy, drama, and romance without focusing on one single genre. The comedy parts were halarious and super relatable (me being the socially awkward shut in i am) The drama parts made my heart stop and me cry and the romance part made me just cant with life.

best manga i've ever read

genesic123's avatar By on May 10, 2014

Note: What ever you do, don't read past chpt 189,the arc after that has been axed before it could finish.Shonen Sunday had this new "55 manga' move.Thus,  despite doing relatively well in sales,TWGOK was axed for this.My review is based on just first 189 chapters,and the series could end there just fine.

In an age where genre, permise and success formulas define anime.TWGOK shows that originality could still exist.TWGOK may have the elements of a romantic comedy,you are supposed to laugh a lot but as a whole it takes itself seriously.I don't mean it in the superficial violence and pretentiousness,its more of Responsibility,how characters interact with one another and how conflict is resolved.Lets start with the conquests,Unlike other romantic comedies the girls aren't there for the sake of getting them.you'd realize each girl is idealistic and we see how they genuinely struggle against reality.Keima's basically gives them the courage to face it.We see the girls gradually come to tems with this on their own through Keima.The girls for once felt like characters that can stand on their own merits as opposed to just making the main look good.Hence the original concept only this manga has "Our Ideals Versus Reality."

I 'm not a big fan of romantic comedies due to contrived romances and Drama.but in Twgok it is actually is very reasonable cause the main character puts in the EFFORT and is not dependent on dating sim logic only to succeded,and the ultimate objective of TWGOK is understanding.It seems absurd at first,but actual thought was put into this.

Keima is an "actor',but how much of it is true?

TWGOK is a reminder that we are greater that the sum of our parts and celebrates this,while keeping a lighthearted yet down-to-earth tone.It's understanding of reality is not something that is rivaled by even the most serious of anime and manga I have seen,For TWGOK understood that darker is not deeper.

The story is not really about otakuism but of a coming of age story.The main character may be an otaku,but its not about his fear but his hate or dislike.As the series progress we are reminded of how Human he really is.

What Keima goes through is something everybody to a certain extent goes through.

They aren't shonen Jump DBZ villans thats for sure.You actually get to see an analogy of politics and even corruption.Their motivations are in line with their actions.They aren't sympathetic villans,but you understand where their coming form.Logic ,reason,courage and determination are actually genuine here for the Protagonists,No unreasonable convenient miracle power up here .Its awesome to see a mere human stand up against them using just down to earth statics.

What was so bad about post 189 you ask?A forced politically corrrect ending that ironically showed Keima regressing as a character in his attitude,Time travel demon reveal,and a sheer insult to the other characters in  the manga.

I also want to talk about anime and manga in general and TWGOK's place in it.

Its a shame that great writing such as this would go into obscurilty,for anime has been completely turned into mindless Moe and angst due to evangelion and clannad.

And anime fandom has been clearly  divided into otaku or hipsters,of the "Date a live" and "Watamote" side.Either is all about fanservice or just trying to show off to each other.

TWGOK was made in the spirit of the first Gundam series  or Miazaki Flims ,it wanted to see what new possibilities were out there,for the spirit and passion of good storytelling.And the two animes that I have mention above ripped TWGOK off to mock that idea.

Kudos  to TWGOk,for being one the last bastion of quality that anime and manga has to offer.Lets hope that Wakaki would make a new  series that could reach out to a broader audience,or better still become the traliblazer of the anime and manga industry.

Charia's avatar By on Mar 17, 2012

I remember reading this manga when it first came out on manga fox. I only clicked to read the 1st chapter because I thought Keima-kun was FLIPPIN cute. He reminded me of my little brother. Keima's personality was so original to me. Introverted, misunderstood, yet smart and different. I really like the plotline. It is original as well. I mean, who else gets real girls using video games?! The art is great, but its kinda hard to tell from man and woman. Keima looks like a girl sometimes. It's clean and easy on the eyes. Very cute as well. Then, you have your harem genre in this manga. xDD Some characters are predictable in personality by just looking at them. However, I think the manga's originality overcomes it's (sort of) bad points.

juniorakakpo's avatar By on Mar 17, 2012

its so good i can't see something wrong with it love how he calculates every move and it works to its a super awesome manga

hecmosquera's avatar By on Apr 21, 2011

Well , generally so , the story can get very interesting at times but it moves at a VERY SLOW PACE. It takes VOLUMES of Mangas before the general plotline starts to budge but I must admit , the terms and concept of the Anime is unique , fresh and things can get pretty surprising at times.
The story also moves in a mini-arc manner , with every few episodes being a different girl's Arc of which Keima must capture their hearts. Surprisingly , the author does come up with new settings once in a while so the viewer would not get bored from the typical settings and situations all the time and since it moves in a mini-arc manner and since most Mangas are long winded , the viewers are unlikely to get bored from this one.
The characters are likeable and perhaps unique since we don't actually get to see an Otaku as the main lead all the time with a Demon girl who is so air-headed that makes you wonder whether she is even a demon at all. There are also different girls appearing per few Episodes as side-characters and their personalities are well-formed for a character that is supposed to play a temporary role in the plot.
As for plot twists , they happen occasionally when the Manga reverts to the general storyline but I won't get too much into it so I won't spoil the surprise.
Certainly , the author of this Anime had done his homework , I have played several Gal Games myself and I am astounded by how accurate the author described the settings of a Gal Game and there are very interesting and accurate trivia about them being referred to every few episodes.
Anyway , this is certainly a one-of-a-kind Manga which you certainly do not see everyday.