Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai

Alt title: The World God Only Knows

genesic123's avatar By on May 10, 2014

Note: What ever you do, don't read past chpt 189,the arc after that has been axed before it could finish.Shonen Sunday had this new "55 manga' move.Thus,  despite doing relatively well in sales,TWGOK was axed for this.My review is based on just first 189 chapters,and the series could end there just fine.

In an age where genre, permise and success formulas define anime.TWGOK shows that originality could still exist.TWGOK may have the elements of a romantic comedy,you are supposed to laugh a lot but as a whole it takes itself seriously.I don't mean it in the superficial violence and pretentiousness,its more of Responsibility,how characters interact with one another and how conflict is resolved.Lets start with the conquests,Unlike other romantic comedies the girls aren't there for the sake of getting them.you'd realize each girl is idealistic and we see how they genuinely struggle against reality.Keima's basically gives them the courage to face it.We see the girls gradually come to tems with this on their own through Keima.The girls for once felt like characters that can stand on their own merits as opposed to just making the main look good.Hence the original concept only this manga has "Our Ideals Versus Reality."

I 'm not a big fan of romantic comedies due to contrived romances and Drama.but in Twgok it is actually is very reasonable cause the main character puts in the EFFORT and is not dependent on dating sim logic only to succeded,and the ultimate objective of TWGOK is understanding.It seems absurd at first,but actual thought was put into this.

Keima is an "actor',but how much of it is true?

TWGOK is a reminder that we are greater that the sum of our parts and celebrates this,while keeping a lighthearted yet down-to-earth tone.It's understanding of reality is not something that is rivaled by even the most serious of anime and manga I have seen,For TWGOK understood that darker is not deeper.

The story is not really about otakuism but of a coming of age story.The main character may be an otaku,but its not about his fear but his hate or dislike.As the series progress we are reminded of how Human he really is.

What Keima goes through is something everybody to a certain extent goes through.

They aren't shonen Jump DBZ villans thats for sure.You actually get to see an analogy of politics and even corruption.Their motivations are in line with their actions.They aren't sympathetic villans,but you understand where their coming form.Logic ,reason,courage and determination are actually genuine here for the Protagonists,No unreasonable convenient miracle power up here .Its awesome to see a mere human stand up against them using just down to earth statics.

What was so bad about post 189 you ask?A forced politically corrrect ending that ironically showed Keima regressing as a character in his attitude,Time travel demon reveal,and a sheer insult to the other characters in  the manga.

I also want to talk about anime and manga in general and TWGOK's place in it.

Its a shame that great writing such as this would go into obscurilty,for anime has been completely turned into mindless Moe and angst due to evangelion and clannad.

And anime fandom has been clearly  divided into otaku or hipsters,of the "Date a live" and "Watamote" side.Either is all about fanservice or just trying to show off to each other.

TWGOK was made in the spirit of the first Gundam series  or Miazaki Flims ,it wanted to see what new possibilities were out there,for the spirit and passion of good storytelling.And the two animes that I have mention above ripped TWGOK off to mock that idea.

Kudos  to TWGOk,for being one the last bastion of quality that anime and manga has to offer.Lets hope that Wakaki would make a new  series that could reach out to a broader audience,or better still become the traliblazer of the anime and manga industry.

hecmosquera's avatar By on Apr 21, 2011

Well , generally so , the story can get very interesting at times but it moves at a VERY SLOW PACE. It takes VOLUMES of Mangas before the general plotline starts to budge but I must admit , the terms and concept of the Anime is unique , fresh and things can get pretty surprising at times.
The story also moves in a mini-arc manner , with every few episodes being a different girl's Arc of which Keima must capture their hearts. Surprisingly , the author does come up with new settings once in a while so the viewer would not get bored from the typical settings and situations all the time and since it moves in a mini-arc manner and since most Mangas are long winded , the viewers are unlikely to get bored from this one.
The characters are likeable and perhaps unique since we don't actually get to see an Otaku as the main lead all the time with a Demon girl who is so air-headed that makes you wonder whether she is even a demon at all. There are also different girls appearing per few Episodes as side-characters and their personalities are well-formed for a character that is supposed to play a temporary role in the plot.
As for plot twists , they happen occasionally when the Manga reverts to the general storyline but I won't get too much into it so I won't spoil the surprise.
Certainly , the author of this Anime had done his homework , I have played several Gal Games myself and I am astounded by how accurate the author described the settings of a Gal Game and there are very interesting and accurate trivia about them being referred to every few episodes.
Anyway , this is certainly a one-of-a-kind Manga which you certainly do not see everyday.

0The0Midget0's avatar By on Aug 19, 2010

When I first looked at the title as well as the summery of this manga on Mangafox I'll admit I was a bit skeptical. It seemed like it would be....well, stupid in all honesty, that or just a little to weird for my tastes. But then I started to read, and then I read a little more, and then a little more, and within a night I had come to find I had read all 95 chapters that had been translated and waiting for the next release!

I had come to find that I was in love with the story, compared to the other things that I had started reading it was actually unique, different. In a way it reminded me of Pokemon, the entire "'Gotta catch 'em all' concept, except in Pokemon there was no risk of anyones head getting blown off, Satoshi's mom was never a retired biker with a soul full of fire, and kissing so many girls was never a requirement for well...anything. Between the slightly dark elements, the humor, and the mystery that everything keeps getting wrapped in its a manga I keep coming back to.

The characters and art are also pleasing elements of the story. Wakaki Tamiki's art style is unique, not in a bad way mind you, but it's actually very appealing. I would say 'cute' is a good way to describe it but then it's something more then that. Can't quite think of the word...Anyway, the characters are also very appealing! I love Keima and Elsee so much! I believe their development is a bit slow, or at the very least Keima's is, but with the type of personality he has it is to be expected I guess. That aside I adore them and what they do to the story.

Over all it's a wonderful story and I can't wait to see how it ends.

9.6/10 overall
noisexkillua's avatar By on Jul 16, 2010

"I can already see the ending!"

This catch phrase actually gets me excited because I know he's going to do something awesome. It kinda reminds of Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro's catchphrase, "This mystery is on the tip of my tongue". Anyway this kinda signifies that something unexpected is going to happen and shows how well thought the plot of this manga is.

Speaking of a well-thought manga it can also be related to Bakuman, in a way that its either the story and the artwork that looks really similar, Except Bakuman is a bit more detailed. If you haven't read it, you should try it.

The story from my own opinion, I think the construction of the plot, from introduction of characters, to development onto heroines went so fast that it captured everyone's readers at the very chapter (Yes, on the 1st chapter). Anyway the devil's contract part was too cliché for me but everything after that was just pure random unpredictable. This is probably the single mainstream manga that didn't bore me after 100 chapters.

The character Capturing God made an extreme twist in a way that he thinks Real girls are trash but decides to capture them anyway (because his head will roll) by using his methods from Gal-games. (I would kill to be a popular geek like him, Lol)

I think this manga is good and I hope you enjoy it like I did.