Hotel

Add review
AngelBeatsYui's avatar
Jun 27, 2015

Warning this review may contain spoilers

This manga is a collection of stories around the last hotel on earth or something like that. This manga explores certain themes are that actually quite real in the world at the moment such as global warming.

STORY

So like I said this is like a collection of stories, the first being one following the story of Keira. A young girl who is trying to survive the hard ages of the global warming that hit eart. Really I can't go into much detail as they are only one shots in a collection. Well halfway throught this chapter is where the main story kicks in with the protextion of earth.

The second story is slightly different, this time it follows the story of a couple, this time the girl in the relationship is rushed to hospital due to heart problems and the sci-fi element here is about a robot who pretty much saves her life. This story is quite unique and different.

The next one was about...tuna.

Then.....we  have a messed up one (I don't even want to talk about this one...it was horrible)

Finally, we have a short full coloured slightly mecha story.

Overall weird stories that half I hated but some I found a liking to.

ART

The art was strange, honestly I didn't like it. It just felt slightly off and with some of the stories it was just weird.

CHARACTERS

Majority of the characters were strange, there was a range of characters however they were all strange and really quite random in my opinion but then again that is probably all included in the fact I didn't like this collection at all.

-AngelBeatsYui-

Rukishou's avatar
Jul 28, 2010

Though I wish I could have given Hotel a higher score over all, being a one-shot with an art style I don't exactly love (that is, the style of the humans only) I feel unable to do so.

Hotel by Bouichi is a short but beautiful story about not only humans' eternal struggle to live. In April, A.D. 2031 the construction of a humongous tower begin in the Antarctic to preserve DNA from all living creatures on Earth during the inevitable extinction of mankind and the end of the planet as we know it.

Alone in the tower after the end of the world has come is the computer "Louis," doing everything in his power to keep the DNA safe and contained for millions of years until the planet once agains becomes inhabitable.

Like I said, Hotel is a very beautiful story, but be warned that it is also very sad. I would be lying if I said I wasn't close to welling up at the end.

AirCommodore's avatar
Dec 22, 2009

I usually hate anything and everything with an environmental theme (way too preachy), but I thoroughly enjoyed this. It reminded me of Isaac Asimov's "The Last Question", the plot and tone were along the same vein. The art was attractive, especially the couple of full-color pages in the beginning. It's pretty short (one-shot), so there isn't much more I can say, but I recommend it!

(Didn't get full marks because the brief chibi-humor felt weird, and I wasn't quite pleased with the ending, but everything else was great)