History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi

Alt titles: Shijou Saikyou no Deshi Kenichi

RustfordJC's avatar By RustfordJC on Oct 8, 2011

Story: A nerd/geek/outcast, or at least that's how I see him, enters highschool. Being bullied when he was younger and having no friends, Kenichi reads books. One day while walking to school he meets a girl, who throws him, causing a book to fall out of his hand.

Opinion(s): I pretty much read the manga two months ago, so I can't remember the beginning.

The plot shows Kenichi become stronger through training, surprise the dude is just a regular person with no out-of-nowhere power ups, with the help of 4 masters. The reason for his training is that Kenichi has become a target to local delinquents and it just escalates from there, to the point where he is fighting in a war against a large organization.

Around the 300s I began to lose interest in the manga and had to force myself to read the next 100 chapters or so. If it wasn't for the tournament arc I would've gave the manga up sooner.

Art: Teenage girls and women with Triple G breast sizes.

Characters: I'll first begin with the relationships, or lack there of.

Kenichi and Miu - Sure they like each other, but it's hard for me to even see a relationship between the two. Either that or I'm just slow.

Ukita's love trianle - I'll understand if he likes Nanjo, which may explained why he joined as one of her underlings or began to like her while being an underling. What came out of nowhere was Kugatachi's crush on him. But this triangle makes him, somewhat, a lucky basterd.

Back to general character bashing. Shigure is a master which is just there for either Ecchi moments or comic relief ones, which makes me forget she is a master to begin with. Her battles are either just fan service or off screen, out of view slashes. Still on topic with masters and fights, no matter how epic they are, they all end the same with the people of Ryozanpaku winning or a draw. The only one who would lose is Kenichi but because of training he wins the rematch.

There's a lot of characters I could go over but I forgot most of them, some of the characters were never important, and I would just keep writing for awhile.

Overall: If you like long shonen mangas that have the protagonist actually training and aging, a man saying Apa all the time, or just Chic's with large breasts, then read this manga.

Most rambling I did so far. Makes sense, 400+ chapters.

-JC

6.5/10 art
Goshin's avatar By Goshin on May 23, 2012

Finnaly cought up to manga, I read from from chapter 143(Anime End) to 474.

The plot of the manga is not that complicated, but it is consistent, despite being a bit slow, it has been 474 chapets and i don't quite see the end. of course there are manga much long but i believe the had more intricate plots

The Story starts out with Keinichi your basic avarage geek with no physical talent, only love of books and gardening. he had a bullying problem huntill he met miu who introduced him to the Ryozanpaku masters. the agree to start training keinich in their respective styles, Juijitusu, karate, kungfu, mui thai, weapons, and i am not sure the style of the Elder.

Thus Keinichi starts trainning and slowly gains confidence. conflcit starts out with simple delinquents, to street gangs, to a super powerfull organization  what i realy appreciate is that there weren't any random powerups for keinichi and he had to struggle through all of his battles.  When he does pull out a win it is believable because we see how the previous training led to rkeinichis sudden realizations and wins.

The Story started out with keinichi's problems and fights, but slowly the masters started getting involved as well. I appreciated that because it meant the story does not revolve aroudn keinichi completely. but revolve around the feaud between Ryozanpaku and Yomi. all the masters seem to have a past involved with yomi. there are still some mysteries as the masters' past  continue to be revealed, as well as the mius circumstances and her father.

ART

I never know how to judge art for manga, because obviously the artist can draw...or else they wouldn't be a mangaka, of course some draw more than others. so author is definately better than kubo as there are backgrounds and landscapes :P. One thing i find different from other mangas, is that there aren't any super powers, only Keinichi's fights can actaully be followed on paper. the masters' fight are apperently to awesome and fast for even the author to draw properly. so a lot of special effects and blurs there. however we are supplied to explanations as to way we can't really see the punchs but only the "shockwave Orbits". never the less i am satisfied. author portrays the awesoness of masters adequately

Charcters

As this is shounen, I find the characters very simple but they are easily easy to love. the Author doesn't seem to forget them, and knows when to bring them out and make them shine. Keinichi being the main character is the strongest, however he is still not stronger than miu yet. the supporting cast improves as he does and are determined not to be left behind. (not like bleach or naruto). The masters are interesting in their own right. memerable characters for me are:

Takeda the boxer, very interesting characters who want to improve and keep with only boxing, not using kicks. he seem to be interested slightly in miu too, but as he is friends with Keinichi he does not voice his feelings.

Sigfried The Immortal is probably my favorite side characterr he, he is undying loyalty provides great comic relief. he fights using only counters and spinning. not too mention a great singer.

As for the masters, Sakaki the 100th Dan Brawler Karate master I believe is the most bad ass and the epitiome of Manliness, altoough probably not the strongest. he is also a great teacher that provides not only martial arts advice but real life advice as well.

we also have the Death God of Mui Thai, Apachai, a 2 meter mass of muscles a heart of gold who only know how to hold back his strenght for children and animals.

there are other interesting characacters but you will have to read the manga to get to know them, these were only my favorites

Overall

Not a bad manga, quiick read, plot is not too thick. if you like martial mangas and improvment through training,  might as well give this a read.

ps. sorry for grammar and spelling mistakes, kinda rushed this review