Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - Tatarigoroshi-hen

Alt titles: When They Cry: Curse Killing Arc

SadisticTendencies's avatar By SadisticTendencies on Mar 3, 2011

Sigh... I promised myself that I would read 'Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni' in moderation, in order to be able to enjoy the story for a few weeks. However, that does no longer seem like a possibility, as it's become highly addictive.

In volume 3 the main focus lies on Satoko. When I was first introduced to her in volume 1 I found her annoying and that impression lasted until I read volume 3. In here we are given explanations for her irritating personality. It is revealed that she has a brother named Satoshi who ran away from his home about a year ago. Satoko is convinced that he will one day return, but Rena seems to lose her sanity every time the subject is mentioned.

The mystery is really improving as it keeps developing, and as we get better understandings for the characters, it's more enjoyable watching them doing every-day stuff like club activities. The artwork keeps the high quality I've gotten used to, combining cute with creepy.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that there are several different manga artists working with this manga. Their styles are similar to eachother, and frankly I didn't notice the change of artist at all. Also, in each volume the original creator of the story gives his opinion on the volume, which might be interesting to read.

Here are my grades:

Story: 10/10

Art: 8,5/10

Characters: 10/10

Entertainment Value: 9/10

Overall: 9,4

8.5/10 art