Highschool of the Dead

ZombieChan's avatar By ZombieChan on Mar 1, 2010

Ahh...

High school life, Flirting, dating, sports, parties......and Zombies. Like in most cases of Zombies a lethal virus is in the air, and so the world is in chaos, with people just trying to keep from becoming snackies. At Fujimi Private High School a small group of students and the school nurse have escaped from their dead classmates and are now trying to figure out what is going on, and what they must do to survive.

**I cannot stress enough about how this manga is so bloody awesome. The art work is wonderful, the characters are unique, and the story is soooo Zombietatsic. I love this manga, and think that anyone who is 18 and older, that likes to read manga should read this one.**

Karasuma's avatar By Karasuma on Apr 9, 2010

Highschool of the Dead was the very first manga I ever read. I went through the available chapters after a couple days. And was dissappointed when I found out it was on hiatus.

However this one just about tops the list as one of my favorite mangas of all time. I was completely taken back by the high level of blood, guts and action all over the place. When they found the gun/ammo locker and the Humvee and started blasting headshots on passing zombies.

I think the story is very good even though it isn't really origional. You of course have a mall with some other crazy survivors. A stuck-up rich companion who's father just happens to be the leader of a powerful Japanese liberation group with guns, ammo and resources at their disposal. The school nurse just happens to have a friend with an apartment with illegal guns and hundreds of rounds of ammo along with a U.S. Army issue Humvee, sadly without a .50 cal turret out of the roof.

Despite all that, I'm still interested in how the story progresses, like if they manage to make it in and out of the school and police station safely and where they're going to go after that. Back to the mall? Back to the highschool? Or will they leave the city and make it to the sparcely populated countryside? Personally I'm thinking they'll go for the airport.

The characters to me are pretty typical but at the same time pretty extraordianary. Here you have half a dozen highschool kids and one 8-year-old, who, despite having lost most of their friends and family are braving the worst by looking out for eachother and picking up weapons and running around killing the one thing they have to fear.

Saeko Busujima might just be my favorite character. A swordswoman who just recieved a minty fresh katana. She has to run around slashing heads and limbs off zombies (just like I love to do in Left4dead 2, I pick up a katana if I find one, drop the gun and run into the crowd, it's more fun that way). What makes her different is that normally a girl would hate doing something like that, like being hemophobic (fear of blood). But she loves causing pain, anguish and cutting off limbs spraying blood. That's what I like about her.

Kohta Hirano also tops the list as one of my favorite characters. It's unrealistic but how many Japanese 16-year-old guys have actually fired a real gun? He knows the ins and outs of just about any gun on earth. During the first couple of chapters he turned into some fatass who was bullied on a daily basis to a man of action. The spearhead of the group he's in.

Anyway, this really is my favorite *seinen* manga of all time. I just wish that new chapters would be released faster. Would be nice.

TheSage11's avatar By TheSage11 on Apr 16, 2010

I love this It mixed my Three Favorite things: Weman, Zombies, And Weapons Because Of this I can't what for them to get off thier hiatus and make another undead pycho auesome manga and I really can't wait for the Anime there making too..........

Thos Maga have Action packed drama with heart-felt love scene that can make you cry as the Zombie Rip there flesh apart.........

I Swear On my great grandmas Grave that if you start reading it you won't stop til the end but thats just my Thought.........

Favorite Month of this years going to be July because of this manga......

Anudevil13's avatar By Anudevil13 on Nov 15, 2013

High school of the dead is not ur everyday manga as one would expect.

The story follows story of  boy Named Takashi who witnessed the start of zombie accoplyse at his school and tries  to save her childhood love, from eaten. Luckily they meet bunch of survivors who accompany them as they go on journey to save themselves from zombies by mascarring them to check up on their families.
They must not hesitate to kill,or it will be them who will end up dead.

It features mix of action, romance and ofc the biggest selling point echiness thnx to good plot( if U know what I mean)

The characters are drawn beautifully with Action scenes elaborated nicely and ecchi  scenes which make it lovely to read and view.

Characters are nice and cool, variety of types are there from

Saeko who loves killing Zombies(and people for that matter)

Rei who is quite annoying at start but gets good as we progress

Shizuka the Comedian(and got the biggest Plot)

Saya The Miss Im better then all of you !

Kouta the Weapon Expert(more like freak)

And Takashi the lucky harem Getter

Overall - All is well in manga except for the long hiatus which demorilizes the reader