Goth

flyingtarantulas's avatar By flyingtarantulas on Jul 25, 2011

This series is just....phwaaa.....creepy. It's like a detective story, mixed with a slasher film, with an awesome ending. Like I said in my Ibitsu review, Goth has that really Japanese story-telling feel. It flows so smoothly, it hits no snags, it's great. The art...well, I've never seen more graphically drawn gore. Creativity is it's main component though. The originality amazes me. I would highly suggest this manga for anyone who enjoys...well, manga. It's for everyone!

NicoNicoDesu's avatar By NicoNicoDesu on Oct 28, 2012

"Teenagers scare the living sh*t out of me/They couldn't care less, as long as someone will bleed/So darken your cloaks or strike a violent pose/Maybe they'll leave you alone, but not me!"

Story: Kamiyama Itsuki is just like any other high school student except for one itsy-bitsy little detail: He is obsessed with death. Morino Yoru is just like any other high school student except for [...] detail: She is obsessed with death.

Yep, this is one of THOSE stories.

The two of them have an odd relationship. Do they want to kill each other, kill themselves, kill everyone else, burn the world down, or just be normal?

Heck if I know. The shortness of this manga doesn't really work to its advantage--the big explanation seems rushed. It's just disappointing, because other than that, the pacing could have been worse.

Art: Unlike many horror manga, the art of "Goth" is rather generic. Idealized looking characters drawn in typical manga fashion, meet standard backgrounds. I cannot praise the artist here, but at least her artwork isn't an eyesore. It's actually nice, but nothing groundbreaking. (Oh, and there is some blood, but less that you may expect. There is also some explicit nudity, but it isn't sexualized and it isn't the focus of the series.)

Characters: SHORT manga. I'm just saying.

Screw the picture. This is an obscure manga; what do you expect?

Kamiyama Itsuki: He is a strange, strange boy. I like him, sure, but he's certainly weird. He is one of those rare "death otaku," and should probably see a psychiatrist. He's, however, almost a very subtle character. He neither idolizes women nor treats them like dirt. He neither tries to kill nor never associates himself with death. He's just... really freaking weird. (Or is he? o.o)

Morino Yoru: She, despite not seeming to have feelings for Itsuki, almost seems like putty in his hands. That, or she is really trusting. I can't really call her a strong character, but she has a nice (but hurried) backstory.

Everyone else: Really, Itsuki and Yoru carry this story by themselves. Everyone else is just a character (and yes, I know that there are no small parts, only small actors) and not much else.

Props to the mangaka for including a backstory in a short story, but most (save for Itsuki and maybe Yoru) characters are bland.

Overall: I'm a bit torn. I can't decide whether this is just a quick, easy read or an original and interesting manga. Hmm... well, I did enjoy reading it.

4.5/10 art