Goodnight Punpun

Alt title: Oyasumi Punpun

Add review
Pandaman's avatar
Apr 1, 2013

*SPOLER ALERT* There are minor spoilers in this review.

Oyasumi Punpun is a strange way of looking at a slice of life. The story (so far) follows Punpun Punyama from an elementary schooler with a weird attraction to a bullying girl through to a university student Punpun making sense of love and betrayal, all portrayed through the eyes of someone who looks like a bird. At its heart I'd say it's a manga about a child growing up with divorced parents and the issue of identity, as Punpun looks more like a person as the manga progresses. But then I'd say it's none of those things, it's just a comedic slice of life about a quiet person called Punpun.

Story - The story is your typical slice of life but on a much grander scale as you get to witness Punpun growing up, his longstanding love for the girl he knew as a child (not the bully), coming to terms with his parent's separation, understanding his depressed uncle and finding out how his childhood friends grew up. It starts off heavy with comedy but as the story progresses it becomes more serious whilst still keeping its utter craziness.

Art - The art is terrific, it starts off perfectly with Punpun as a hilarious small bird with no arms that stands on his seat rather than sits and is at least a foot smaller than everyone else, the fact that Inio Asano can make a bird fit in so perfectly when surrounded by people is quite something. The reason I have given it a meager 6.5 is because as the story progresses, the laziness of how Punpun is drawn increases, first the frills go, then the form, until he's just a misshapen rounded rectangle with hands and legs. You might argue this shows his development and how he's losing his identity because he wears brands and becomes just another Hollister Hipster rather than Punpun as an individual, but it was still disappointing to lose part of what made the manga so funny.

Characters - The characters are very unique, from Punpun's love Aiko, a complicated daughter of a cult religious organisation to Punpun's uncle, a depressed middle aged bird who steps in to help his sister (Punpun's mother) look after her child. Almost everyone has a scarred past, even the minor characters, which may be a shout out to modern anime and manga where the main character always has a hidden past or it may just be the author's way of making the manga more interesting.

Overall - Read it when you're in the mood for a surreal slice of life but don't read it because you enjoyed Yotsuba&! because they are completely different slices of life. The manga will keep you reading but you have to be in the mood which is why I've given it an 8 overall.

6.5/10 art
Alter's avatar
Dec 4, 2015

I don't know what should I write to here, but I can definetely can say that this manga is a masterpiece.

I has very intense and powerful story which fill you with many emotions. I can summarize Oyasumi Punpun with just "A manga which tells life of Punpun", but this explaination is very shallow to describe what Oyasumi Punpun is. There is many realistic characters in Oyasumi Punpun and it can be said that if you want to get rid of burden of real-life, you are reading wrong series.

It has very dark and depressive atmosphere which make it hard to read, but you will be glad after read it. Author consult many imagery to depict emotions and characters especially Punpun and his family. Therefore, art even without them was perfect, with these gain art value which is like read some good pictured novel.

You can cry or be angry when reading this manga, but after finish it, you will be in a very depressive mode, because of many events which occur in story. You will critisize, question characters, also this manga gives very realistic aspect so you start to want characters' happiness or you will regret what they cannot.

Overall, it is a masterpiece with every aspect. Everyone should read this manga even if this seems so hard to read. You can become depressed or awake your depression much more like myself. However, you won't regret to read it.

Lexter's avatar
Feb 4, 2017

I have to say that the art is alright, not amzing but deffinitly fine. When I start reading the depiction of the main character was really nice and I was looking for some interesting story, but after this first feeling dissappeared I started to get annoyed with everything. The story in the beginning was simple and it worked. It was realistic and nice, but while the Main character was getting more and more unlikable (for me atleast) the rest got even worse, every one of them was a walking phylosophy book and that just broken the realism (I know the author was amining for that, that ia why he made the MC and his family like this and put abstract drawings and "god" there too, but was the dialog simply wasn't working). I guess that this story will change in sometime in later chapters, but I simply didn't like any character enough to follow this manga. Honestly the edge was just plain stupid at some parts.
So I suggest you read some chapters and prepare yourself for a lot of dialog and hard thinking on your part to see what you want see in this manga.