Gantz

damosthenes's avatar By on Jul 20, 2014

What started as an incredible story some where along the line turned to utter rubbish. I'm not sure what happened but maybe about half way through it took a 90 degree turn and never looked back. Characters that only recently were introducted were quickly forgotten and even an entire race (species/evolution) of people that were poised to play a significant role just stopped being written about.

Maybe I'm the one that is missing something but this whole manga just feels like it fell apart.

shadekat's avatar By on Oct 13, 2009

You will not find another manga that can capture the full range of humanity from glory to depravedness as this one.  The mangaka has an amazing insight into the psyche of people in the modern day, the facades that fall apart under stress and the strengths that come from the strangest of places.

There are a few fight scenes that go on for a chapter or two too many, but this is well balanced out by the storyline.

TeHP1nkSh33p's avatar By on Dec 27, 2015

Wow.

Reviewed after completing the manga.

This series was unlike anything I've read previously..

Although initially put off by the art style (which I got used to), its extremely cynical take on humanity and its grey-morality of the whole thing really managed to make me think about a lot of things to do with the state of the world and everyone's potential for evil given the circumstances.

It went on to show me in its full glory, uncensored portrayals of public shootings, school massacres, rape, and all the things you'd think the authorities will ban. It was eye-opening.

I feel like the story was a grim tap into the worst of human nature, allowing even the smallest amounts of goodness to truly shine. While it ended abruptedly due to circumstances, I would still definitely recommend it.

cybermom's avatar By on Oct 19, 2015

Warning: There are some spoilers in this review!

Do you like manga that has blackface? CONSTANT mention of rape? unnecessary killing? intense over sexualizing of the female characters, that are only introduced to quickly fall in love with one of the male characters? Then this manga is for you!! When i first started reading Gantz it was pretty good at first, i started noticing the female characters were really oversexualized, (every chapter has a page at the end with one of the female characters either wearing a bikini or nothing at all) so i thought of dropping it, wish i did lmao. I really thought it was going to get less problamatic, but it never did. Over the course of the manga, the story gets more and more confusing. Nothing is really explained. I can't believe how much rape is mentioned in here like it's nothing? I can't count on my fingers how many times i read "i'm gonna rape her" or something disgusting along the lines of that. Like even around the end of the manga, they forced two of the giants to have sex, while they were crying and both clearly didn't want it. Then there was another part where one of the random characters starting raping one of the giants, and when she tried to pull away, they shot her head off. Then we get to the blackface. I was so disgusted. One of the main characters "Izumi" put on blackface to go gun down a ton of people for such a stupid reason as getting Kurono's attention. Literally the whole chapter was Izumi just killing people. Great character. If you REALLY don't see anything wrong with that, then PLEASE reflect on your beliefs and opinions. The character development is poor, the only character who actually changed was Kurono. The ending left a ton of questions unanswered as well.

JamesGriever's avatar By on Nov 13, 2014

This manga has a great start and i loved it very much.... for the first half or so.  The author jumps around ideas about half way into the series and the manga lost it effectiveness for me.