Gantz

damosthenes's avatar By damosthenes on Jul 20, 2014

What started as an incredible story some where along the line turned to utter rubbish. I'm not sure what happened but maybe about half way through it took a 90 degree turn and never looked back. Characters that only recently were introducted were quickly forgotten and even an entire race (species/evolution) of people that were poised to play a significant role just stopped being written about.

Maybe I'm the one that is missing something but this whole manga just feels like it fell apart.

shadekat's avatar By shadekat on Oct 13, 2009

You will not find another manga that can capture the full range of humanity from glory to depravedness as this one.  The mangaka has an amazing insight into the psyche of people in the modern day, the facades that fall apart under stress and the strengths that come from the strangest of places.

There are a few fight scenes that go on for a chapter or two too many, but this is well balanced out by the storyline.

AnimeFreak127's avatar By AnimeFreak127 on Feb 3, 2012

What is a good attention grabber to immerse the reader into the story? Gantz. Kei Kurono and his childhood friend Masaro Katou are run over by a train and are iinstantly transported into a war zone where people are violently slaughtered by strange aliens.

The man who wrote this story, Hiroya Oku, is truly a genius, as he heavily immerses the reader into a breathtaking story. Whenever I read Gantz or any of his other works like Hen, I find myself unable to stop reading. Gantz has an amazing story and is very unpredictable, as characters you bond with can be killed at any moment. This manga is still ongoing and I have yet to witness the closure to this manga.

The art is one of my favorite aspect of Gantz. The weapons, the armor, and the vehicles are completely original and add depth to the story. The aliens, likewise, are completely innovative and have intricate designs.

There are a lot of interesting characters to be found in this manga. Kei Kurono, the protagonist, starts out as a pessimistic and horny high school student who only sees the negative in society. As he fights in more battles, he transforms into a hero who values human life, but is not blinded by justice, like his friend Katou (who has trouble even fighting the aliens). Other characters, like Nishi and Izumi, tend to be a lot darker (antiheroes), yet I found myself cheering for them.

Overall, this manga is a masterpiece and anyone who wants to read a great and original story, should give Gantz a try. This is one of my all time favorite mangas, so give it a try!

A word of warning: Gantz is not for the faint-hearted, but neither is it as simple as it looks. Gore, rape, drug use and violence is rampant, as are portrayals of greed, violence, and all the ugliness that one sees in society today.

JtkBasketball's avatar By JtkBasketball on Sep 23, 2012

I had always wanted to read Gantz, but all the reviews and stuff I would find said how mature themed it was. It would say something like, "If you like a lot of boobs and tons of unneeded bloody scenes than this is for you." That kind of thing turned me off from reading it, but eventually I gave in. One of the best decsions of my life.

Story: There are three arcs to Gantz. An introduction one, a middle one, and a finale. That is not very descriptive, but that is how it goes in my mind. One sets up the next very well. So basically you die and are sent to the Gantz room. The Gantz room sends you off to kill aliens with super powered suits and high tech guns. Seems simple enough, but if you read all of Gantz you will realize how in depth and well written Gantz is. There is also love and other themes too. In this manga people are gonna die and people are gonna barely survive. There is no point where I thought, "Oh shits hitting the fan right now, but somehow they will power up and survive." It was more like, "Oh my God, he is gonna die, and the manga is going to change forever." Also there are vampires, I know, really random. They are a third party who does not fully make sense yet, but I am sure they have some huge meaning yet to be determined.

Art: Gantz has some of the best art in all of the manga world. It is really detailed from the characters to the background. Everything looks amazing. The only knock I have on it is that in some action scenes it is so detailed that I cannot distinguish what is what, but do not get me wrong. This is some top notch art work from top to bottom.

Characters: The characters are amazing in Gantz. They are all unique and have their own views. The aliens are all so one of a kind and cool looking. They are just spectacular in every sense. The main character Kei starts off unlikeable, but eventually becomes very likeable... as well as a BAMF. Every character has such a distinguished background that every decision they make I think, "Oh, I could see why they do that." Some characters have sad stories that just makes me feel like I can connect to them somehow. The way some characters are potrayed in death is really well done, and it shows their true colors. Mistakes are often made by characters in this show and they pay the consequences. The "this is your only shot" type of thing that Gantz brings makes it that much more exciting.

Overall: Overall, I just love this manga. I read through the chapters so quickly. It was evident that I had become a complete addict after 30 chapters. Even when I did not like or I did not think I liked where the story was heading I was always coming back for more. This is a must read in my opinion.

9.2/10 art
9.5/10 characters
9.8/10 overall
4L3x's avatar By 4L3x on Jun 18, 2013

Gantz es un manga Seinen que empezó a ser publicado por ahí del 2000, bajo la pluma y mente de Hiroya Oku.

A todo esto, de que va Gantz? Oku nos cuenta una historia en donde varias personas al morir, son transportadas a una habitación sin saber porque, luego una gran esfera negra les brindara armas y trajes especiales para combatir contra extraterrestres en asignadas misiones, misiones de asesinar o ser asesinado, al final de cada misión los sobrevivientes serán premiados con un puntaje como si todo eso se tratase de un juego. Al llegar a los 100 puntos (Puntaje casi imposible de alcanzar) el sobreviviente tendrá la opción de

1. Revivir un compañero asesinado
2. Obtener un arma especial
3. Ser liberado del juego y volver a su vida normal.

Básicamente así se despliega esta historia, la cual claramente se volverá más profunda, y empezaremos a saber del porqué de este tipo de cosas, Oku decidió dividir el manga en tres arcos la denominada 1st Stage es la que albergara todo el inicio de la historia y de que va Gantz, 2nd Stage también conocida como “Katastrophe” que albergaría 237 capítulos, en este arco el manga se profundiza y nos damos cuenta que eso de matar aliens no es algo tan sencillo y tiene un porque, introducirá un cantidad desmesurada de nuevos personajes, como el equipo de Osoka, además de equipos de otros países, esto ya no va solo de Japón, Gantz está en todo el mundo. Por último la 3rd Stage o la Fase Final, que es la que se encargara de cerrar el manga contándonos la inminente destrucción del mundo con una última guerra extraterrestre.

Gantz es un mundo increíble, Oku ha creado una historia esplendida con un sin número de detalles, personajes únicos, solidos e interesantes (Por no mencionar el excelente desarrollo que estos sufren), su dibujo es fenomenal, un cuido de detalles único, desde trajes, armas, robots, vehículos, espadas, todo en este universo es auténtico. Después de 13 años en Junio Oku decidió terminar Gantz con 383 capítulos, cerrando toda duda existente sobre este universo. Como punto negativo seria mencionar la cantidad absurda de capítulos de un mini arco de amor entre Kurono y Tae, el manga aburría y yo pensé que Oku no sabía que hacer, gracias a Dios Oku pudo encarrilar ese tren y poner todo en orden para darle su justo final.