Gakuen Alice

Alt title: Alice Academy

on

Gakuen Alice is an amazing work of art which I personally score a perfect 10/10. Rather, it should be a 100/10. It's indescribably brilliant, which has far surpassed my initial expectations, and from what I have read, Gakuen Alice exceeds every other with a better story, art and characters overall. Its just mind-blowing.

STORY - Gakuen Alice has an in-depth storyline, and is unbelievably unique and original from chapter 1. The story is so deep, complex and intriguing, and it just pulls the reader in, to experience all the joy, laughter and also the tears and sorrows. Its beautifully crafted and so well planned, you could read it over and over and discover yet another tie from earlier chapters to the later ones. You see the plot connections from double-digit chapters all the way to triple-digit chapters. Its a beautiful story. It just submerges and drags you into every arc, never being repetitive, always so absorbing, always going deeper and deeper. Its just astounding. Awe-inspiring. Amazing. Words just isn't enough.

ART - Gakuen Alice's mangaka, Higuchi Tachibana has done exceptionally well in the art making, with consistency in every chapter. As every mangaka hopes to do, they improve over time, and Tachibana has really improved over time, and quickly as well. The art is intricate, detailed, delicate, and gorgeous to feast you eyes upon. Every scene is stunning, and such beautiful artistic works helps the story and the characters to be so spectacularly portrayed, every single time. Its just so beautiful. So, so beautiful.

CHARACTERS - Gakuen Alice's characters are so unique. They are so meticulously expressed, each character has a story which links up to each arc. Their backgrounds are so different, and so simply but remarkably conveyed to tie each one of them together. There is a focus on each character, so you understand all of them. Over chapters the characters personalities, qualities, and traits and so well built up, you feel you could laugh with them, root for them, scream at them, cry with them. The foundations was brilliant. The characters in Gakuen Alice grow on you, you end up just loving them, because they are THAT awesome. They are THAT inspiring. And they are THAT incredible.

I'll tell you this - DON'T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER, OR ITS TITLE, OR WHATEVER IT MIGHT BE. Gakuen Alice... I'd say is often mistaken as a manga directed to a child, but I'll tell you that Gakuen Alice is DEEP. Its deep, ok. Its amazing, for every reader out there. Look at those ratings!!! 4.77/5. THAT is incredible. Not every manga is able to score that kind of score, so please, SAVE YOURSELF the time to do your perfect-manga-hunting and GO and read Gakuen Alice. It's WORTH IT! So worth it. Don't miss out. It's just... SUGOI!!!

on

ok so gakuen alice was my very first manga that actually made me feel emotion and it is a beautiful manga i cried many times the story is about mikan sakura a 10 year old girl who is a bit of an air head and has a strong heart and a beatiful smile,she goes to japan to follow her best friend the cool beauty named hotaru imai who is an alice. a alice is a child that has a gift of a certain type hers is technology and can make a bunch of strange and useful machines for certain situations which you learn in chapter 2 and 3. so when hotaru leaves it takes a couple months until she decides to follow her to the alice academy once there she is approached by two men and is almost kidnapped but then saved by a teacher after talking for a bit they see a boy with a mask of a cat trying to escape  luckily he gets beaten up and that cat boy is natsume a main ascential to the story he is stern tough doesn't show emotion and has an extremely tragic path in the future and in his past which you learn later on when i met him i knew he was going to be the #### ####### and i'm really happy he was but the ending is so sad why couldn't they just waaaah….. Sorry ok so natsume has a best friend ruka nogi he's the opposite of him happy, sweet, and doesn't have that big of a tragic past also has a crush on mikan by chapter 3. Ok so there's a ton of friends they gain a lot more hardships they go through it all goes fun and happy to dark secrets and a tragedy of the past saddly  i can't explain how sad it is without giving away important facts but heres a hint dont trust HER.(#^-^#)

9.5/10 story
on

Just a quick jotting down of personal notes and what I feel works (and doesn't work) as I re-read this manga.

PROS

-Likeable characters and a very likeable protagonist

-Despite its 13+ rating, it's likely a good starter series for a kid just getting into manga (thinking about giving the first volume to my 10 year old sister for her to try out)

-Actually pretty funny. Mikan is very dramatic without being annoying, and her friend Hotaru serves as her "straight man" with great effect

-Balance between slice of life, adventure, coming-of-age, and a tiny bit of mystery

-Author's avatar is sometimes seen among randoms in a crowd (haha!)

-The camaraderie among the kids is funny and endearing; a few are brats (I hate bratty kids in general: I don't find them cute whatsoever) but the vast majority are very nice, good-natured kids.

-While the protagonists are the equivalent of 4th or 5th graders, there are mature themes that they face such as loneliness and isolation; threats and blackmail; strength of friendships; the meaning of family and friends; challenging authority to rectify injustices; courage and resilience in the face of danger and adversity; slight bullying, etc. that serve to be entertaining without being droll or played-out.

-The potential and possibilities in a school full of Alices is fun to see unfold.

-Hotaru's gadgets and inventions are usually very cute, funny, or insanely useful without being Deus Ex Machinas or Ass Pulls.

CONS

-The panels and layout of the pages are very non-standard and the little antics people get into are often un-paneled. This makes the pages in general look very "busy" which takes some getting used to

-The screen tones are sometimes used too liberally. Either that or the screen tones aren't the highest quality or seem wrong for what they're coloring in and end up obscuring and distracting the eyes.

-Not a fan of the running gag of "Natsume sexually harassing Mikan as a joke". They're 10 and 11 year olds. Yes, it's a manga, yes it's a joke, but it doesn't sit right with me. I'd honestly prefer these jokes if they're done with older people because..I don't know, it makes it less creepy?

-Lots of tiny text and little notes by the author. It may strain your eyes trying to read all of them :x

???

-Not sure if it's stylistic, but the boots and shoes are oddly drawn.

-Filler chapters crop up revolving around an excursion, a newly introduced student, or some shenanigan that further fleshes out the characters. It's all in good fun, but it may confuse the reader as to the sequence of events. (Example: Apparently there's a 4 day festival! Next few chapters have nothing to do with the festival, and then the festival starts.)