Fruits Basket

ffbfran's avatar By on Apr 5, 2016

So the anime is fun, upbeat and light. All fluffy feeling. The manga starts out similar. Then takes a turn to the dark. It turns deep, dark, and not expected. Its still good but some things start to feel rushed. The ending tapers off into an anticlimatic ending but overall the manga is amazing. the character development is progressive and good. The story is interesting, love the concept, and (mostly) moves along at a nice pace. The diverse character personalities make for a fun and heartwarming read. It is very worth it.

happyanifriend's avatar By on Nov 29, 2013

Loved this series! I have read it 3 times through, and I still haven't had enough of it.

STORY: Not wanting to give too much away; the story in a nutshell is about an orphan girl and her effect on a family cursed by the chinese zodiac. Romantic. Comedy, Drama. Doesn't sound all that great, but the characters and how they interract are what make the story great. The author has a wonderfull way of introducing background stories and other information so that it isn't just a long rant to get you up to speed, and some plot twists that are truly gripping.

ART: The art changes over time, which is expected considering how long it is. At first the art was rough, because it was new and there were a lot of details being put in. I loved this. After the first 6 books you really notice how the art is cleaned up and loses some details. I liked this art as well, but was a little dissapointed with how the art was evolving. (if the changes stopped here I would have been happy and the rating for art would have gone up) By the 15th book, her art changes drastically, it is much cleaner, yet totally different, the characters look bland and homely, and I woud not believe the artist was the same at this point. Many of the characters look so different that If you hadn't been watching the evolution you wouldn't be able to match the characters with the first novel. By the last book, some of the characters are less attractive, which is unfortunate since that was one of their defining characteristics. Being a person who gets irritated by bad art and drops stories when the art is intollerable, the story made up for the shortcommings. that being said, I would have dropped this story early on if the art had been like this at first. (note that I started another of her series done after FRUBA and I dropped it fast)

CHARACTERS: No matter how great or stupid the plot, the characters are what make the story in my opinion. Each character has his/her own unique characteristics, and more than one dimention. There are even some minor characters we find out more about.Character development is done rather well throughout the whole series.

Shinjiru's avatar By on Sep 12, 2013

love the series! I ove the plot andall the characters even if they are bad... I just love Tohru!

Rebkkah's avatar By on May 21, 2013

What can I say about Fruits Basket? "WATCH IT!!!" is the first thing that comes to mind...

But seriously, this is a lovely story from start to finish. It hits all the right notes in all the right places to keep you enthralled from page one. Light hearted comedy, brutal rivalry, love triangles, personal tragedies and more. This manga is an emotinal roller coaster, I can't remember the last time a story made me so cry so much.

If you enjoy a good tear jerker, you'll definately love this story. I don't think there is a single character in here that doesn't have some way to make you cry for them (Momiji gets me everytime... seriously, I'm almost ashamed to admit it). Irrespective of this, it is still a story designed to lift your heart. It's often sweet, usually cute and mostly pretty amusing. Thumbs up.

9.5/10 story
9.5/10 characters
ultramaniaclover's avatar By on Mar 10, 2013

This story is the best I have read in fact I have read it three times because that's how much I really liked it...but I promise you this book will not let uoy down! the romance the drama and the comedy will make you want to read more or this book you won't be able to put it down...you'll be reading this book again and again!!!