Fruits Basket

chihinoke22's avatar By chihinoke22 on Jan 5, 2011

~My dreams were ruined!!!!!! WARNING!! Don't let this happen to you.~

Comedy

Drama

Fantasy? (for me anyway)

.....but then it all goes down hill. Why?......

BECAUSE MY STUPID FRIENDS RUINED IT FOR ME!!!!!, but even after they ruined the ending, I kept on reading because I hadn't figured out all the characters yet and I wanted to know how they were. Once I found out I just tossed it to the side and said done.

Story: A young, clueless, spirited little lady, Tohru Honda, loses her mother and ends up into a position of living at the bottom of a hill in a tent near the young "prince" Yuki's home. She ends up into a messy situation and has to live with him and his cousin(?) Shigure. Once she's moved in all the other members of the Sohma family, mostly the juunin, ends up meeting her in various ways with various surprises.

I'm not trying to put any spoilers, so I'll stop there in that section, but the only thing I will spoil is the characters.

Characters: In order of Tohru meeting them (help me if I get them wrong)

• Yuki Sohma_the Rat
  • Shigure Sohma_the Dog
  • Kyo Sohma_the Cat
  • Kagura Sohma_the Boar
  • Momiji Sohma_the Rabbit
  • Hatori Sohma_the Dragon
  • Hatsuharu Sohma_the Ox
  • Akito Sohma_unknown at the time when Tohru meets him/her, but he/she is the God
  • Ayame Sohma_the Snake
  • Kisa Sohma_the Tiger
  • Hiro Sohma_the Sheep
  • Ritsu Sohma_the Monkey
  • Isuzu Sohma (Rin)_the Horse
  • Kureno Sohma_the Rooster

I think the author knew exactly what she was doing when choosing the characters because based on my experience, the Sohmas are exactly like the animal they are in the zodiac in personality and also shows the characteristics of the real life born chinese zodiac.

Art: Funny illustrations are made every now and then just because it's impossible to make Tohru's expressions in any other way. Beautiful guys help too ^_^! Sexy girls too O.o! But really it still had to remain close to a child like age so it's doesn't show much -_-.

DO NOT LET ANYONE SPOIL ANYTHING ELSE FOR YOU AND ENJOY THE STORY!!! IT'S BEAUTIFUL AND IT MAY BE TOO LATE FOR ME NO MATTER HOW BADLY I WANT TOHRU TO END UP WITH ONE GUY, BUT ENDS UP WITH THE OTHER AND A CRAZY TWIST FOR MY ALREADY FUCKED UP MIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8.6/10 overall
aina's avatar By aina on Mar 29, 2011

The story involves an orphan girl, Honda Tohru, and her encounters with the Sohma. I've read this story a couple of times, and have never get bored of it each time. Although at times, Honda Tohru seemed weak, but she appears as cute more often to me. Unexpectedly, I also learnt several 'life lessons' from this manga, as sometimes they give a pretty good saying or advice. The manga was absolutely excellent, and the ending was a little unpredictable (for me).

Viola's avatar By Viola on Apr 12, 2011

I loved the story line. I am a huge fan of anything to do with the Zodiacs but I am not an avid reader of the horoscopes in the journal. I like the whole concept and story about the cat and the rat.  It was quite interesting.  Another quality I loved about the book was the romance.  It wasn't overwhelming but it wasn't boring either.  It was always exciting to some degree.  I think others will like it but I know others won't.  I am not a huge romantic or a huge emotional person but this manga is one of my favorites and it almost made me cry.  :3

SerriaNightshade's avatar By SerriaNightshade on May 12, 2011

Story 7/10

It was a very enjoyable manga with a great plot if not a little bit repetitive. A good read for some and not so very good for others.

Art 5/10

The reason why I say 5/10 is because the story board was very bland and seemed extremley unfinished. It seemed that the author was in an extreme rush to get it done and did not take the time to give the characters any shading to make them more 3-D. They seemed extremely flat and boring if one was to flip through the pages. I really wished the author put more time and effort into the manga, illistration wise.

Characters 5/10

The characters were bland and some where just boring and really didn't need to be there. The main character anyoyed me with such a naivness for a highschooler and her always easy way to cry. The other characters were either a mix of emotions or just uneeded and unwanted. Certain characters though had a certain flair but not that much.

Overall 6/10

I overall give this a 6/10 mostly because of the plot. I only finished reading it because of the plot. Other than that it was one of the most least enjoyable mangas I have read.

jypsyjulia's avatar By jypsyjulia on Jun 21, 2012

**THE SPOILERS!  THEY'RE EVERYWHERE!

I'm trying to think of how I can review this unbiasedly, but I really don't think that's going to happen.  Be prepared to enter the realm of the mind of a fangirl attemping to be unbiased.

I fell in love with Furuba at the tender age of 14.  The STORY follows Tooru Honda, an orphaned girl who is sickeningly optimistic, as she finds herself camping out on Souma property.  The Souma's are a family group posessed by the Chinese Zodiac.  Everytime they're hugged by a member of the opposite sex, they turn into whatever animal they are possessed by. The catch is that as soon as they transform back into a human, they're naked.

Of course, as the plot progresss, things run deeper.  Certain people betray each other and Tooru finds herself in the middle of her own blossoming feelings and a civil war between family members.  They all desire to be free of their animal, and she will do the best she can to make that happen.

I feel as if I'm the only one who felt this way, but did anyone else feel that the ART in Furuba changed around volume 9 or so?  I don't know; it felt like the mangaka's style became different.  I understand that she broke her hand so this could definitely be the reason.  While I prefer the original art style, I did enjoy the new one as well.  The people weren't as detailed, but the animals were absolutely adorable.

The CHARACTERS of this manga really made it what it was for me.  It was so easy to relate to at least one of them because there were so stinking many.  This might put some people off, so be warned: this manga has an abundance of characters.  Some stay, some go.  I'm not sure if people will find them hard to keep up with -- personally, I didn't; but I also read and re-read this manga at least ten times.

Each character also undergoes a significant character development, from Kureno's acceptance of leaving Akito, to Shigure's selfishness being revealed to be selflessness, from Kyou's anger turning into gentleness, from Yuki's ice being melted by love, from Kagura's self inflicted guilt being placated, to Tooru's ultimate development throughout the series.  I really loved seeing all of them grow and mature and I really felt that the mangaka did an outstanding job portraying said maturity.

OVERALL, I'd rate Furuba a 10/10 if it was solely for personal enjoyment.  I did try to keep this review as unbiased as possible, although it's really probably just full of fangirl mush.  I do believe that it deserves the 9/10 it got.  I'd also like to note that the manga itself doesn't really take a darker turn until later in the series.  I especially remember volume 17 being particularly depressing.  Some might be turned off from the light hearted transition into a darker and more mature take.  Read through it and see what you think.