Fruits Basket

chihinoke22's avatar By on Jan 5, 2011

~My dreams were ruined!!!!!! WARNING!! Don't let this happen to you.~

Comedy

Drama

Fantasy? (for me anyway)

.....but then it all goes down hill. Why?......

BECAUSE MY STUPID FRIENDS RUINED IT FOR ME!!!!!, but even after they ruined the ending, I kept on reading because I hadn't figured out all the characters yet and I wanted to know how they were. Once I found out I just tossed it to the side and said done.

Story: A young, clueless, spirited little lady, Tohru Honda, loses her mother and ends up into a position of living at the bottom of a hill in a tent near the young "prince" Yuki's home. She ends up into a messy situation and has to live with him and his cousin(?) Shigure. Once she's moved in all the other members of the Sohma family, mostly the juunin, ends up meeting her in various ways with various surprises.

I'm not trying to put any spoilers, so I'll stop there in that section, but the only thing I will spoil is the characters.

Characters: In order of Tohru meeting them (help me if I get them wrong)

• Yuki Sohma_the Rat
  • Shigure Sohma_the Dog
  • Kyo Sohma_the Cat
  • Kagura Sohma_the Boar
  • Momiji Sohma_the Rabbit
  • Hatori Sohma_the Dragon
  • Hatsuharu Sohma_the Ox
  • Akito Sohma_unknown at the time when Tohru meets him/her, but he/she is the God
  • Ayame Sohma_the Snake
  • Kisa Sohma_the Tiger
  • Hiro Sohma_the Sheep
  • Ritsu Sohma_the Monkey
  • Isuzu Sohma (Rin)_the Horse
  • Kureno Sohma_the Rooster

I think the author knew exactly what she was doing when choosing the characters because based on my experience, the Sohmas are exactly like the animal they are in the zodiac in personality and also shows the characteristics of the real life born chinese zodiac.

Art: Funny illustrations are made every now and then just because it's impossible to make Tohru's expressions in any other way. Beautiful guys help too ^_^! Sexy girls too O.o! But really it still had to remain close to a child like age so it's doesn't show much -_-.

DO NOT LET ANYONE SPOIL ANYTHING ELSE FOR YOU AND ENJOY THE STORY!!! IT'S BEAUTIFUL AND IT MAY BE TOO LATE FOR ME NO MATTER HOW BADLY I WANT TOHRU TO END UP WITH ONE GUY, BUT ENDS UP WITH THE OTHER AND A CRAZY TWIST FOR MY ALREADY FUCKED UP MIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8.6/10 overall
Smurfgurl8's avatar By on Jul 16, 2015

This is hands down my most favorite manga!!!! I love the characters and the animals they turn into. I love the mind f#ck$ and plot twists and all the characters dark crazy funny AWESOME personalities! I love love love kyo and shigure!!!! I love how they ended it. I need to hug the author for the AWESOME ending he gave us!!! I highly highly recommend you read this manga and then watch the anime!!!

happyanifriend's avatar By on Nov 29, 2013

Loved this series! I have read it 3 times through, and I still haven't had enough of it.

STORY: Not wanting to give too much away; the story in a nutshell is about an orphan girl and her effect on a family cursed by the chinese zodiac. Romantic. Comedy, Drama. Doesn't sound all that great, but the characters and how they interract are what make the story great. The author has a wonderfull way of introducing background stories and other information so that it isn't just a long rant to get you up to speed, and some plot twists that are truly gripping.

ART: The art changes over time, which is expected considering how long it is. At first the art was rough, because it was new and there were a lot of details being put in. I loved this. After the first 6 books you really notice how the art is cleaned up and loses some details. I liked this art as well, but was a little dissapointed with how the art was evolving. (if the changes stopped here I would have been happy and the rating for art would have gone up) By the 15th book, her art changes drastically, it is much cleaner, yet totally different, the characters look bland and homely, and I woud not believe the artist was the same at this point. Many of the characters look so different that If you hadn't been watching the evolution you wouldn't be able to match the characters with the first novel. By the last book, some of the characters are less attractive, which is unfortunate since that was one of their defining characteristics. Being a person who gets irritated by bad art and drops stories when the art is intollerable, the story made up for the shortcommings. that being said, I would have dropped this story early on if the art had been like this at first. (note that I started another of her series done after FRUBA and I dropped it fast)

CHARACTERS: No matter how great or stupid the plot, the characters are what make the story in my opinion. Each character has his/her own unique characteristics, and more than one dimention. There are even some minor characters we find out more about.Character development is done rather well throughout the whole series.

Shinjiru's avatar By on Sep 12, 2013

love the series! I ove the plot andall the characters even if they are bad... I just love Tohru!

Rebkkah's avatar By on May 21, 2013

What can I say about Fruits Basket? "WATCH IT!!!" is the first thing that comes to mind...

But seriously, this is a lovely story from start to finish. It hits all the right notes in all the right places to keep you enthralled from page one. Light hearted comedy, brutal rivalry, love triangles, personal tragedies and more. This manga is an emotinal roller coaster, I can't remember the last time a story made me so cry so much.

If you enjoy a good tear jerker, you'll definately love this story. I don't think there is a single character in here that doesn't have some way to make you cry for them (Momiji gets me everytime... seriously, I'm almost ashamed to admit it). Irrespective of this, it is still a story designed to lift your heart. It's often sweet, usually cute and mostly pretty amusing. Thumbs up.

9.5/10 story