Fairy Tail

seine's avatar By seine on Jul 20, 2012

A replica of One Piece? Seems like it.
Worth reading? Yes.

Fairy Tail undertakes another fantasy setting. I have always been skeptic of fantasy anime's as most of them is always obscure, and prone to be uninteresting as the story progresses. But that mistake isnt repeated here in Fairy Tail as Mashima Hiro performs excellent on making his own fantasy world out of thin air.

In this manga, all sorts of mages roam about the world. Some of them even bond together and form a guild that takes requests from people in exchange for money, there are even such guilds that are "dark", who are not among the law-abiding. Fairy Tail is among the hundred of guilds out there. But unlike the general they, to quote their master" do what you think is right". Yes, they do what they believe they should be doing, all for the sake of just finishing a job. Whether its wrecking a house to turning a whole town into a scrapyard, it doesnt matter for them, as long as they get the job done.

Fairy Tail tells the story of Natsu Dragneel, a Fire Mage who was raised by an ancient fire-breathing dragon. and his newfound friend Lucy, a Spirit Mage who's pretty much new on the world of guilds. Together they and the rest of the members of the Fairy Tail guild goes through all sorts of adventures.

At first glance, it may sound lame because of how it follows the monster-of-the-week formula. And yes it does. But dont let that stop you from reading this. Sure it is pretty much follows a shounen formula. But to my surprise, the plot twists were variable. I am constantly impressed on how detailed the arcs were. They start out as something terribly cliche then suddenly turn out to something unexpected. Furthermore, each character is connected to each other and each of their past is no exception either. I love how every character is significant to further progress the story.

The art during action scenes is very impressive. It is comprehensive. You can understand what is happening to the characters and around them. At some climactic parts, I even got around to get my Ipod to listen to some One Piece Soundtrack while I was reading. Surprisingly, the music pays off. It gave a better atmosphere and it invigorated me. Another plus is it doesnt fill the panels with unnecessary captions. But it never forgets to show the reaction of each character in the scene. And most of those reactions are just plain humorous. And each character design is likable, as every male boasts their six-packs and every female shows their cleavage.

Fairy Tail will not fail to deliver its action packed, slapstick comedy to its readers.
If that sounds good to you then dont you even dare to miss out on Fairy Tail.

Duck999's avatar By Duck999 on Oct 16, 2014

Fairy Tail is a great manga. Despite some large amounts of fanservice which can get awfully annoying, the characters are well developed, each having his/her own backstory. The plot is well tohught out and after each arc, a new arc is developed that is just as good. How they don't run out of ideas, I don't know. If not for the overly abundant fanservice, this manga would probably get a rating of 10/10 from me.

PiFace314's avatar By PiFace314 on Nov 23, 2009

Following on the heels of Rave Master comes a thrilling tale filled with magic, mayhem, and a whole lot of fan service: Fairy Tail.

Fairy Tail may not have the most original art (*cough*rip off of One Piece *cough*) but that is where the similarities end. Mashima manages to deliver with an original new protagonist: Natsu Dragneel, the human equivalent of a fire dragon with the attitude and appetite to match, as well as a shining cast of supporting characters, including: Lucy, stellar mage and fan service incarnate, Erza, female knight in shining armor, and Grey, Natsu's long-standing rival and wielder of powerful ice magic. Together, they adventure on, beating up anything that gets in their way. A light-hearted and fun manga, it's certainly one of the best new releases.

mangaislife's avatar By mangaislife on Nov 11, 2010

In an unbelievably large step up from his previous work, the horrendous manga "Rave Master", Hiro Mashima throws off the shackles of unoriginality, cliche and inconsistency to focus on what he does best; characters. You can really tell that he was holding back in Rave Master, as each character had some kind of lame trademark that was being so desperately balanced by other parts of their personality that none of them were original or unique and they all came across as pretentious. However, in Fairy Tail, every single character has no balance. They are all extremes. And this works out fantastically. Each character is original and understandable, not to mention unique and likable.       The story is nonexistent and that's another reason this is far above Rave Master. Hiro Mashima's story writing abilities are subpar at best, so when he throws off the shackles of a continuing story and just puts a bunch of characters in a certain setting, it really works. Basically, it's a manga sandbox. Throw in a bunch of extreme characters, add a certain premise and do whatever the hell you want.       While I'm no fan of the majority of the battles in Rave Master, there were a few that really blew me away. However, in Fairy Tail, each battle is at a competent level and although nothing in the manga is fairly memorable, it's quite entertaining. Even when it starts adding plot and throwing in certain elements, you're really only just reading to watch the extreme characters interact. The story itself - when it starts to develop - is remiscent of some of the good parts in Rave Master, but still feels fairly pretentious.       The art is Hiro Mashima art. Better than Rave Master, but nothing magnificent. A fun read.

6.6/10 overall
SwordsManIV's avatar By SwordsManIV on Jan 9, 2010

Hiro has done it again, and made something that might or will be the biggest thing since his debut manga Rave. Although the art and the characters may seem at first a bit like Rave, it is more on the feild that it feels that way, Although on the other hand they do look the same. The story is what really draws me in for another adventure with plue, (the cute caranosed dog), It feels great and and looks great, this maybe the better of the other works of art he's created. As I've said about the anime review, if you liked or loved Rave, then this will definitally should be apart of the must read mangas out there.

9.3/10 story