Elfen Lied

Zerocrossings's avatar By on Dec 31, 2009

Elfen Lied involves themes of social alienation, identity, revenge, child abuse, jealousy, regret and the value of humanity. At least, thats what Wikipedia says. All of these themes are explored in the most shallow of ways and doesnt leave much for you to think about. Good and bad are clearly distinguished, with the bad mostly being the most extreme forms of sadism and the good being everyone else.

There are mainly two things that makes this manga "Mature". First is gore. Which isnt done badly, but overused alot. Ultimately reducing the shock value of seeing someones limbs getting torn off for the ten tousandth time.

The other is Nudity and Sex, and boy did the Author get caried away on this one. The entire manga is plagued with unnecessary nude/sex scenes. Mostly involving weird fetishes such as girls pissing themselves. Most of these comes out of nowhere and destroys much of the mood by being out of place.

Story- 5/10

Elfen Lied is a story about Lucy, a teenage Diclonius girl who had been subjected to experimentation, abuse and social alienation at the hands of humans. The story starts off with her breaking out of captivity and gruesomely murdering everyone in her sight with her Diclonius powers.

The plot mainly revolves around her thirst for revenge against mankind. Sounds kinda awesome right? But unfortunately, the need of the Author to include out of place characters and their stupid nobody cares backstories ultimately caused Elfen Lied to have a trainwreck of a plot.

How did this happen? Well, after one chapter of being treated to possibly the most awesome opening for any manga ever, Lucy lost her memories and stumbles upon a couple of teenagers, who decides to take her in. One of them is the supposed Male lead, Kohta. Things go downhill from now on. The plot becomes filled with events that has little to do with the main plot, mostly consisting of Kohta and various girls he takes in to his house. (Explained more in the characters sections.)

These events successfully pollutes much of Elfen Lied's main plot, and just left me having the temptation to skip alot of the pages. But dont worry, i forced myself throough them, so i have read every single page of the manga.

The ending is a severe disapointment for me and destroyed much of what the series is building itself into. I wont go much into detail as it might have some major spoilers with the points i would like to address.

Characters- 4/10

There are about 8 characters in the series i would like to talk about. These characters takes up a significant amount of the manga, or i wont mention them. Some of these make the show, and the others break it, actually, more like break the fuck out of it. I'll start off with Lucy.

Lucy:

I see her as the main character of the story. Mainly because she is one of the most interesting characters in Elfen Lied and the only thing that kept me reading. Her history, sadism, and thirst for revenge are all very much intriguing. Unfortunately, she was reduced to a brain dead retard right after the first chapter and stays that way most of the time.

Only capable of saying the "Nyu?", her main role is degraded to causing Kohta to stumble into sexually awkward situations, and groping the breats of other girls. Occasionaly, she returns to her original persona, which are mainly in short spurts until near the end of the manga. And everytime she degrades back into being a retard, my heart sinks, and i murder a kitten.

In the end though, she does manage to stay interesting for the brief moments of returning to her original persona. Especially in the end, where much of her history is explored.

Kohta:

Male lead. Mostly accompanied by his lovestruck cousin, Yuka. This guy has very little to do with the main plot. His role is to accept homeless girls into his house and forming a mini harem/ecchi series within it, so as to contribute to the nudity/sex in the series. Most of the time, i just breeze through the pages with him because he has very few important things to say.

His most important role is his past(conveniently hidden by amnesia and does not appear until the later chapters), which is the only thing that really allowed me to tolerate his existence.

Still, one of the worst male leads ever.

Yuka:

Kohta's cousin. Is in love with Kohta. Role is to get jealous everytime Kohta finds himself groping other girls. Their half-assed relationship is a shit stain on the pages of the manga. And let me tell you, its one hell of a large stain that would cause most janitors to consider retirement. As such, she needs to die in a fire.

Diapers girl:

Cant remember her name. One of the girls Kohta takes in. She wears diapers because she got piss control problems. One of the Author's fetishes he so kindly shared. Nothing to do with the plot, die in a fire plz.

Mayu:

Another girl Kohta takes in. Chased out after being sexually abused by her step father. Uninteresting character overall, weak back story and no real significance to the plot. Has several interesting relationships with a couple of characters though, i'll let her slide..

Nana:

Whew, finally, another decent character apart from Lucy. Nana is a Diclonius, also subjected to experimentation. She also escaped, with the aid of her "father". Unlike Lucy, she does not detest humans as much and even sees one as her father. She wishes to live in peace and coexist with humans, with the ultimate wish of being with her "father".

Kurama:

Another good one. Kurama is one of the staff of the Research Centre which inhumanly operates on Disclonius girls. He is the only one who feels guilty for his actions and has a great deal of history. His story is one of the more interesting ones in the manga, making him one of the most memorable of Elfen Lied charactes.

Bando:

One of the few characters with character development. Introduced as a bloodthirsty Police Force member sent to kill Lucy. He failed and seeks revenge on Lucy. Over the course of the manga, he changes and begins to show affection for people. Kind of like the Tough guy showing affection to weak people cliche. But, hey, at least hes better than diapers girl.(Or about half of the cast, Kohta included)

This ends my character section.

Art- 4/10

The art in Elfen Lied is bland, no other word for it. Most panels have white backgrounds, and character designs are generic to the max.

For a series that boasts blood and gore, there really isnt anything impressive. There is definitely lots of blood, but i dont know about gore.  The most goriest of images is probably bones shattering and some instentines.(Which dont really appear often)

Most of the times, its just lots of blood spurting out of severed limbs and heads, theres really not alot of details in the gore.

Conclusion- 4/10

Has a pretty interesting core plot, but becomes too riddled with uninteresting characters and events that caused it to fall flat on its face. Sex and nudity are horribly implemented and the gore is repetitive.

This makes it really hard for me to recommend this to anyone. I read the manga because i heard lots of  people saying its superior to the anime. If thats the case, i recommend staying away from Elfen Lied, anime or manga.

thor123's avatar By on Nov 10, 2014

Well this manga immediately throws you in the action, with what i'd call the main character, Lucy, breaking out, blood flying everywhere and bullets that can't hit her -except for one.

Because of some logic i don't really get (a bullet to the head makes you get split personalities???) Lucy gets a new personality that will be known as Nyu and is basically a toddler you'd want to get in your bed.

After that, she gets taken in by Kouta and Yuka, who apparently don't think of warning the police about a lost, naked girl.

After that, some shit happens, we get tons of side characters who are of course all female (except for some adult people, most characters are teenagers), we get some fights (which is the main reason i wanted to read this) and then there's also some shallow talk about racism in both directions (so against and from the diclonii: should they be deleted from this world, or rule it?).

The conclusion to the story was kinda boring too.

the only interesting people are the diclonii and Bandou, and in the diclonii only Lucy/Nyu is really interesting. Lucy and Bandou are also the only ones with some character development.

Most of the side characters (like Nozomi and Yuka) are plain unnecessary, and are often only annoying

6.5/10 story
ghismeisk's avatar By on Apr 4, 2011

For me Elfen Lied was a bit difficult to read for one reason. It was very very gruesome to the point where i stopped reading it >.<. Other then the horrifying drawing lol the story line is very good. I love the ending and it was very different from all the other mangas i've read. If you like some supernatural stuff you will love reading this. Make sure you have a strong stomache before reading this.

InsanelyAnime's avatar By on Jan 2, 2012

Story: The story was absoulutely amazing. It was heart-breakingly sad at some points, but that was only because I was so connected to the characters. The story flowed well and although I was confused at some points, my questions were answered as I kept reading. Also, I was impressed with the amount of details woven throughout the story. It obviously took the mangaka some thinking to come up with this tragic yet wonderful story. Elfen Lied made me think a lot, and although it's a supernatural tale, I drew numorous parallels to the real world.

Art: I didn't like the art all too much... I can't really describe it, but the characters looked odd at some points. However I did like how the mangaka drew Lucy's alternate personalities so you could tell them apart (especially the eyes). Also take note that the art is very excplicit, so if you don't have a strong stomach or are offended by nudity, then I would suggest you not read this manga. Overall, the art was alright. I liked it at some points but not others.

Characters: I loved the characters! At first most characters were easily hateable, but as you learned more about their past, you came to understand them and love them. Nana was probably my favorite character because of her internal strength to protect her friends and family. She was probably the character most easy to sympathize with, too. Also, the characters were very human, even if they were exagerated, because of their emotions.

Overall I definitely recommend this manga. It is one of my favorites :)

Hyden's avatar By on Mar 15, 2015

This is not a review but a question for this website.

You are aware that there is a 108 chapter right.....