Deadman Wonderland

RaK4EvEr's avatar By on Jul 30, 2015

This was one of the greatest mangas i've ever read!!! the story the drama the action....its all in!

U need to read the manga to understand the anime....atleast try it forreal its really good.

9.9/10 overall
AngelBeatsYui's avatar By on Jun 27, 2015

Warning this review may contain spoilers:

So this is a review for the Deadman Wonderland manga, so I had high hopes for this series. It was a dark Sci-Fi about people who get taken to a special prison and a lot of stuff happens.So it is about this kid Ganta who is framed pretty much for killing his schoolmates and taken to this place called Deadman Wonderland, to be honest this isn't much of a spoiler because that is all chapter 1 is.

STORY

The story itself I found quite interesting, the pacing seemed mostly okay. The story was really easy to get into, you kind of feel sorry for Ganta and this is the effect the story had. The character development seemed to of progressed quite well. Honestly I haven't really gotten much to say.

ART

The art was good, really there wasn't much to say about this. The facial expressions were well presented *Cough* Minatsuki arc *Cough*. Yeah not much to say here either. The contrast in the more dramatic scenes are well presented. Pretty much everything is well presented however there were a few moments where I found the art weird, I guess which is why it's only at 8/10.

CHARACTER

So Ganta is typical human, he is what any normal person is. He has a plain personality which quite natural expressions where the audience can relate to him if they were in the same situation. Shiro the mysterious girl who befriends Ganta, so we don't really know much about her at the start but around chapter 11 we get to know more. Now the supporting characters, I won't say too much about these but I wanted to bring to whoevers attention the character of Minatsuki Takami, the crazy one minute and normal young girl the next. This girl is messed up and really she makes the story quite interesting, it is like she has two personalities where she uses one as a cover and the other is the real personality. But want to know more about her just check out the series. Overall I found that there was good contrast between the characters and each added to the story quite well.

Conclusion, a drama filled series that light manga readers probably won't like.

-AngelBeatsYui-

DarkInferno49's avatar By on Mar 10, 2015

WARNING MINOR SPOILER(S)

Story Opinion: This manga starts off really strong in the fast paced way of the main Character, Ganta, just living a completly normal life. Then BAM out of no where everyone important to him was slaughtered and, of course, him being the only one left alive made him the culprit (Pretty much no evidence whatsoever).

Then begins his "Shashank Redemption Attitude" where he goes around saying that he's innocent like they'll suddenly decide that they were wrong in the first place. Soon after that he finds his "friend" Shiro that he barely, if at all, remembers and eats snacks with her. All the while very rarely asking himself what she was doing there or any such questions even though half of the panels are filled with him thinking, but most are hi ideas about being in prison.

Gets into a life or death moment and the real story begins. Since this IS completed I'll tell you now that the finale was not exactly the best way to end the story and left sooo many cliff hangers and seemed sooo rushed that my imagination runs wild ;). So if you don't like those kind of endings then I suggest that you just dont read it.

Characters: For the characters overall I was impressed about how much in depth the authors went into the creation of many of the character's backstories and the reason why they ended up in prison and their present attitude, demeanor, and style. (With the exception of a few)

Ganta: Since he was originally a regular high-school kid, he does have some expected reactions for his newfound situation. But, he gets over the death of his class pretty quickly considering that the massacre of your entire class might normally severly traumatize someone, he handled it relatively fine. Also he never makes me think of him as the lead and at times I doubt of his success in his goals (Some he accomplishes Some he doesnt)

thor123's avatar By on Nov 10, 2014

short review:

really interesting start, and quite fast an introduction to the second main character, Shiro, which is quite the mysterious character. ( a little too mysterious, so you can see some things coming)

cool idea behind the special powers of deadman, who are able to control the flow of their blood

after a good start, however, the story starts to kind of rush things over. the secret behind the "red man" is revealed quite early, leaving a lot less suspense. the ending with a fight "ganta vs red man" and the result of that fight was also a bit too predictable.

still a nice manga to read though

7.5/10 story
9.5/10 art
8.5/10 characters
7.9/10 overall
sneezetease's avatar By on Aug 3, 2014

What an awful story. The events in this story make me want to cry when I think about it, it's almsot too much.  This book was seriously brutal, not just the gore, but it was chilling.  So it was a very artistic tragedy, not just shock factor stuff.  The art was really fantastic, every page was just really striking, I couldn't look away from some of these drawings, I was blown away by the artwork.  I could have done without all the tits however.  I really think that the huge bouncy boob trend in certain mangas takes something away from a series because it's just so unecessary and pointless that I think less of the whole thing.  Anyway, I will have to read this again because I didn't fully understand everything, but for the most part I wasn't really disappointed with the ending like I thought I would be.  Most animes/mangas always botch the ending for me because I always think I will have a great "a-ha!" moment and everything will make sense, I'll think "wow, how brilliant" or something along those lines that I think I'm dumb for not figuring it out or emotionally shatter me.  Powerful endings are important to me, and this one had a few good moments of clarity.  The only problem I had with it was the story which I found pretty boring if I can ignore the wicked artwork and actually evaluate its content. Not too much happened that I really cared about, I just wanted to see more build up in the story with the wretched egg and ganta.  But as I'm sitting here thinking about the manga I just finished, I am in awe a bit.  The story was just so terribly sad and cruel I almost can't take it.  But in that way, it's romantic and artistic and I wish it went on.