Chobits

bollier's avatar By bollier on Nov 29, 2010

Chobits is the story of a man who finds a persocom (a computer shaped like a person, in case you couldn't tell) in the trash, and takes it home.  He discovers that it has no memory, and teaches it.  This series deals with whether or not a robot can gain humanity, and whether or not it can be loved.  The story can be a little simple, but is really entertaining.  The character fit into the story quite well, and are equally as enjoyable.  Chi develops well, but her naivety can be just a little grading (while remaining cute).  Finally, this manga is drawn by CLAMP, so you know that it is going to be illustrated beautifully.  I definitely recommend that you pick this up.

nasreen10's avatar By nasreen10 on Mar 21, 2011

Story: I'm usually not into the whole techonolgy thing but I love Clamp so I thought I would give this a try. I was pleasantly surprised. I loved the ethical and moral questions that Chobits brought up. I think they are valid and are more relatable as techonology grows in our present day. I loved the pacing and the picture book stories. I'm not a fan of ecchi but I do admit that it lightened up the manga so that it wouldn't be too heavy. I thought the romance was endearing as well. I think it really makes you think which is what Clamp does best.

Art: It's Clamp. What more can I say.

Characters: I read a lot of romance mangas. What I see too often are characters without much depth. However, that's not quite the case here. There is no clear or concise word that could describe them. Althought they may not seem as deep at first, they truly are. I was surprised. The relationships are deep as well.

Overall: A terrific romance and scifi story that raises questions. It's deep but has lighter aspects to balance it. It holds up my expectations for Clamp's work.

RustfordJC's avatar By RustfordJC on Oct 3, 2011

Story: The story is about a world which has computers in shape of humans. Here we are introduced to a college student who can't afford to get a persocom and is "Computer Illiterate". One day he finds a persocom on a pile of trash and decides to take it home.

Opinion(s): To give a general view of the whole story, it's about love. Not much I can say about that now can I? Anyhow, the story is about finding love and being accepted regardless of who, or what, you are. It's a Fairy Tale/Happily ever after sort of deals.

Art: Better than anything I could draw free hand.

Characters: There are only two characters that just was dropped into the story and they would be the Government persocoms. They didn't really add much to the story besides, "Who are they?", but eventually my comments changed to, "Eh, really them again.". They do appear a few times and at the climax, and serve some purpose to said climax, but before the end they're just sleeping or the dude gets yelled at.

One character I like, and it's not just because she's named after food, is Plum. Plum is comic relief and does have these moments more often than the rest of the characters. She is useful but she wouldn't be the same without her expressions.

I could go on about Chi's sister, the creator of Chi and the rest of the persocoms, and even the word Chobits, but I'm not one to write spoilers, say them out loud is another issue all together.

Overall: If your looking for a manga with a happy ending, love/romance, or even a children's book, which is in the plot itself, that is deep then read this. Only 88 chapters.

- JC

Martenous's avatar By Martenous on Mar 26, 2012

CHOBITS REVIEW

We can love our dog, we can love our cat, hell, we can even love our pet bird but can we love robots?  Chobits is a very unique manga that tries to answer this question.

Art

The first thing you will notice is CLAMP's style.  CLAMP's artwork to me seems a bit more simplistic but it is still very appealing and at times CLAMP can draw some amazing images.  I found it took a bit of reading for me to get used to their drawing style but afterwards I started appreciating it.

This is a seinen manga without action for the most part.  There is really no giant mechas, no constant fighting, it's just a futuristic world where computers start to take human form and Chobits tries to explore the issues in the theme.  If you are not one for story and prefer action, Chobits might not be the manga for you.  The story is beautifully potrayed and through the characters' discussions with another as the main character, Hideki learns about the world around him.

This is one of the best parts of the manga.  The characters are very well developed through out the manga and you learn a lot of secrets in the characters' backstories which explain their actions and attitudes.  Each character is different and likeable.  Each character influences Hideki and his beliefs adding weight to  the characters' existence in the story.  There is a point to everyone in Chobits.

Conclusion

If you want to read a unique manga that is driven by dialogue rather than action then give Chobits a try.  It is a fantastic seinen manga with great characters and an interesting theme.

If you live in a country that sells manga, try to find the Dark Horse Manga omnibuses which are relatively inexpensive.  Two of them complete the whole series.

angelsreviews's avatar By angelsreviews on Oct 21, 2013

I do have to say, the manga is way better then the anime. Where as the anime was pretty much highly fan based, the manga wasn’t. We get much more in depth to the story instead of playing around with random side stories and the ---ugggg--- panty storyline. Sure we have the little bits of fan service but at least they are done artistically and mostly add to the story, it isn’t outside the storyline they are going through and isn’t for a stupid side story such as the panties thing.  There isn’t much else to talk about on the storyline sadly without spoiling anything except that the build up is much better in the manga.

So everywhere I looked online said that Chobits was a Seinen. For those of you that have no clue what that means, it means that this manga was targeted to 18-30 year old males… ya… I don’t get it either. I know that the manga has some rather perverted moments, and naked women but I feel that this was completely miss written. The storyline is much too sweet and gentle to be for a male audience, and I’m talking about this compared to other Seinen mangas. This story is all about finding your true love, finding the person you are destined to be with, and above all, letting no one else take what is precious to you. Normally, the precious thing they would talk about would be more along the lines of ‘virginity’ in a sense for the female android character. Unless it’s an anti-rape story for males, I see no reason for it to be written for a male audience. That’s my thought on the matter but I could be wrong.

The artwork is beautiful for a shojo-style manga. I know that it’s a Seinen but seriously, the art style says shojo. Almost everything is really well detailed down to the clumps in chi’s hair and her Lolita clothing. Sadly, it makes many of the other areas that aren’t well detailed feel as though they were done in a rush or without as much love to the characters. While there is a lot of fan service in the women, the art feels a bit more modest and artistic then the stuff you would see in the anime. They did a lot of shading in those parts or had a reason behind the design of the characters and the sexual nature of them. What bothered me slightly was the large ‘ears’ that most of the persocoms had that made them look a bit like furies. I don’t know why, I just had a little bit of a problem with them though they did not mess with the story.