Breaker: New Waves

Alt titles: The Breaker: New Waves

Kezmark's avatar By Kezmark on Mar 21, 2011

I really don't know what the author was thinking when he started this, but obviously whatever it was that he was thinking was bad.

This is the sequel to Breaker, a manga I very much like and was really hoping it would continue in the same maner, however my hopes were all but crushed by New Waves, the art style was changed and not for the best, sure it looks cleaner and arguably better quality but it also lost its identity, the first one had its own style and was different enough, this one on the other hand looks like just another generic manga and really that's what it is.

The characters are bad and very, very generic, the guy turned in to a total wimp/punching bag and the girl is just like any other generic manga girl lately, though chick that can fight and even though she doesn't admit it, she starts to love the protagonist because he's kind and even though weak he tries his best and all the other copy paste generic character crap.

The main character and his development are the main problem though, you had an entire first part in Breaker in which he slowly gained more power and actually reached a decent fighting level, but now he's back to punching bag rank and after 21 chapters he's still there, the only thing he has is an apparently abnormal regenerative ability and the fact that he's highly resilient to damage, which in turn only serves to make him a better punching bag.

The villains have again been taken from the "Generic book of villains" oo we're gonna use him to take control of the clan, ugh ... ye, no one's ever though of that before, right ... and the others that are trying to kill him aren't much better either.

The story is, well.. not present really, in 21 chapters that I've read at the time of this review, nothing much has happened, there's been no development, the story isn't moving forward and there's not much we know now that we didn't at the end of Breaker.

You probably noticed by now that I've used the word generic in this review a lot, that's because this entire manga is just that .. GENERIC, BLAND, it just took ideas from every other generic manga and put them together and I truly don't see why, it had a good prequel in the Breaker, it had a lot of promise and if it would have just continued with that and not decide to start over with a new direction it would have probably been just fine.

Like I said, this review is based on reading the first 21 chapters and I really do hope it will go back to what it used to be, however I just don't see it doing that at this point.

5.6/10 overall
animewatcher487's avatar By animewatcher487 on Jul 7, 2012

the breaker series is definitely a original one but in season 2 the author  makea big mistake

he brought insome new charaters (which isn't a bad thing) the new characters are a total copy

aren't original

the first 25 chapers of the breaker new wave are dull but nessary for u to know whats going on, i don't meanto spoil but athe second season has a more interesting storyline

heartforyou's avatar By heartforyou on Mar 10, 2013

Sequel to The Breaker is here Breaker: New Waves ( Or New Waves; The Breaker ).

If you haven't read the first arc yet, don't start reading this one.

You get confused by many things.

Well, Lets get to the story:

The story continues where it has left in the first arc.

The main character develops his personality and get involved in new things

To not give spoiler, just read it on your behalf :)

The art/painting is beautiful, but it's manwha style. It's not your common moe style, but is defenitely a 9 worthy.

As overall is give it a 9,5.

The are much chapters going about 1 item. You have the chapters read fast enough to wait for releases.

Anudevil13's avatar By Anudevil13 on Nov 14, 2013

The Breaker: New waves is sequel to the The Breaker Manhwa.

The story follows Shi-Woon whose Qi center was broken at the End of The breaker - is now head of Sun-Woo Clan, the most fearsome clan in Murim. At 1st Shi doesnt wants to be the Head of clan and avoids it all costs, But circumstances force him to accept position and a New life begins full of adventure and Danger

Art is just as good like the Previous version , even  slightly better.

Characters- New waves does better then Its predecessor in character part.

There is Good charcater developnment overall the series, wiith Shi woon getting major boosts over the series. A lot of awesome charcters are introduced like Jae-Kyu Kwon(The Elder leader) ,Sera Kang(such a beauty)

The New waves has a bigger female character pool comapared to Breaker .

Overall- Highly recommended like its predecessor