Black Cat

mangaislife's avatar By mangaislife on Nov 13, 2010

Premise - There's a retired assassin and his partner and they have tragic pasts and yeah.

Plot Exposition - Tao. You're kidding me. After that awesome introduction...tao. Screw you, energy blasts!

Protagonist - A unique personality on an interesting character ruined by the fact that it's less of a unique personality and more of a personality swap that is SO OVERPLAYED.

Antagonist - And I'm not sleeping tonight. Very well written and drawn exactly as he should be. My only complaint is that his ultimate weapon, no matter how cool it looks, was less useful than his first weapon.

Supporting Cast - Sven, remember when you were important to the plot? I miss those days. The days before stupid, flat Eve showed up! There's nothing interesting about her! Nothing, I tell you!

Action - May feel a little repetitve, but are exciting and interesting.

Comedy - Pretty funny sometimes.

Tragedy - OH MY -

Ending - Well, that wasn't a terrible ending.

Story - It's got some interesting parts, but they can feel outweighed by the numerous stupid elements. Fairly character-driven.

Characters - There are lot of interesting and cool characters here. Most of them don't get the spotlight. On the bright side, both the antagonist and the protagonist and really interesting.

Art - HOW DOES HE DRAW THAT PERFECTLY?

Recommended? - For shounen fans.

7.5/10 characters
SwordsManIV's avatar By SwordsManIV on Jan 9, 2010

I have read this manga and to make things much simpler this manga was good, not great. The characters are the great part about this series, the story was simple and easy to follow and is what really makes someone really get into it. Unlike the anime, which ended too abruptly. One of the down sides is that it feels like the thirteen assasins feels like the Thirteen Captians from the manga Bleach. From all other aspects the manga feels and looks great along with great description among other aspects of the series.

7.7/10 story
8.1/10 art
8.9/10 characters
sillysia63377's avatar By sillysia63377 on Sep 17, 2011

Story: 8/10

Well, the story itself was pretty basic. There weren't really many shocking twists or amazing plot ideas going on. However, it was definitely enjoyable, and there wasn't anything wrong with it, per se. I guess for me it was just a classic shounen at its finest.

Art: 9/10

The art was awesome. It was always nice to look at, and I felt like it slowly changed throughout the series. If I had to say, by the end everything looked a little bit prettier.

Characters: 10/10

I feel like the characters are part of what made this manga so enjoyable for me. I fell in love with Train and his quirky personality and fascinating past. Eve was cute in her shyness and intelligence, and by the end her fighting skills were quite impressive. Sven just fit in well together with the two of them and had his own moments to boot.

Other characters I found interesting were Creed and his obsessiveness with Train, Kyoko in all her hilarity - just doing whatever the hell she wanted - which was sometimes cute and heart-warming, other times really cruel, Woodney just being who he is, and many others as well.

Overall: 9.5

I must say I loved this manga. It is probably my all time favorite manga. I can't honestly say it's the best manga out there, but it's the one that has stuck with me for years, one I'm not likely to forget and always to love. I'd say give it a shot, if you like shounen like Bleach, One Piece, etc. there's no way you won't like this.

If I had to recommend one manga that I feel is similar to Black Cat, it would be Rurouni Kenshin. Both mangas have hopelessly lovable main characters with interesting pasts, who are incredibly strong and fight to protect what's important to them.