Beast Master

ffbfran's avatar By on Oct 14, 2014

This is the first manga I ever read. No seriously. I read a sample online, I bought and read it like 3 more times over the next couple of weeks then I branched out and became manga obsessed. Now i have a bookshelf. It made that big of an impression. Seriously its sweet and romantic and the characters demand hugs, or at least I felt like hugging them all as I read. It could be that I am a great big sucker but even so its amazing. Romance was never so sweet and innocent.

NicoNicoDesu's avatar By on Jul 18, 2012

The epitome of sexy friendships, "Beast Master" is a short manga which has girls everywhere swooning.

Story: Kubozuka Yuiko loves animals, but, unfortunately, suffers from Sakaki ("Azumanga Daioh") syndrome, so animals hate her. The persistent Yuiko won't give up, and she ends up meeting Aoi Leo. Leo is covered in blood and has feral-looking eyes... but Yuiko isn't afraid of him! Well, turns out Leo is a little like a beast, and Yuiko tames him (SPOILER ALERT XD). So, if the title didn't make it obvious, this is going to be a kind of S/M-type shoujo romance. Well, it's actually more of a friendship. With zero sadism and even less masochism.

This story is cute and all, but, if you couldn't already tell, I can't stand heroines who sit around waiting for their men to save them. Yuiko gets into a bunch of instances where Leo needs to jump in and save her. Yet, somehow, this never happened to her BEFORE she met Leo. Go figure. And, since we know Leo is gonna beat the crap out of the guy before Yuiko hugs him and tames him, all anticipation is lost. Mangaka Motomi Kyousuke has got this formula down pat.

Art: This is probably the high point of the manga. Sexy male characters and pretty female characters exist in a world of generic-but-nice-looking backgrounds. The character designs are purely meh: Yuiko looks like, well, a pretty female character (she acts like one, too). Leo looks like an untamed animal--he has messy black hair and wears illegal amounts of guyliner, but he looks sexy as hell. (Just saying. Now STFU.) The only other character worth a mention is Toki. There. I mentioned him.

Characters: Nothing special here! Yuiko kind of got on my nerves, along with good ol' Toki. Leo is cool and all, but he could have been so much more. Another chapter or two and he could have gone from "kind-hearted wildcat" to a deep, heartbroken lover or become badass. There's just no freaking development. And no one, NO ONE can call Yuiko's taming of Leo "development."

Overall: A nice shoujo manga for fans of "Vampire Knight." It has plenty of romance, a miniscule amount of violence, and its fair share of eye candy.

4.5/10 overall
Peaches's avatar By on Jun 18, 2012

OMG THIS WAS SOOOOOO CUTE~! I dont usually like romance manga but when i read this I completely fell in love with it! Leo is soooooo adorable <3 I wnat a boyfriend like him!! I totally recomend this manga its sooooooo cute <3 one of my faveorites

DuskFey's avatar By on Feb 2, 2012

Manga in 200 Words: Beast Master

Premise: Yuiko is an animal lover who terrifies all of the animals that she meets encounters a wild beast that only she can tame. The only thing is: it’s a boy!

Audience: Girls who are drawn to dangerous and broken guys and those who like innocent romance stories.

Relationship: Yuiko and Leo are cute. (I’m the kind of girl who wanted to hug Gaara during his violent rampages, so I’m in the target audience.) With that in mind, Leo does actually hurt her pretty badly sometimes. Kudos to Yuiko for being devoted to this relationship.

Leo: I admit to liking the idea of an appearance that doesn’t match his personality, but it is a pretty drastic shift. Actually, it’s almost like a schism in his mind, but it doesn’t seem to be hurting him. (It does hurt those around him, of course.)

Overall: Beast Master is cute but violent, which sounds weird, but I think it’s why I like this little manga. The love is a simple one, and even though it is kind of unrealistic. There are enough good things going for this series that I’m willing to suspend my disbelief for it.

5.5/10 art
6.5/10 characters
Chinatsumi's avatar By on Jan 9, 2011

This manga is just AMAZING!!! I started to love it from the first chapter. Story is unique and it's not so easy to quess what is going to happen next.

Ant about the art and one of the main characters - Leo. It's great that same character can be so different (angry, scary, sad or happy). His faceal expreasions are done more than very well. I just can't find other word than - briliant ;)

By the way, in that part where Leo comes back to Yuiko and where he tells her that he loves her love and romance can be felt. Gread job.

So I just hope, that author will keep up and make more interesting works.

With respect,