Beast Master

Kraecha's avatar By on Oct 29, 2009

I was never a big fan of shoujo manga, but "Beast Master" changed that. This story, although being incredibly sweet and funny is differet from typical shoujo stories.

First of all, the main heroin, Yuiko, isn't a weak girl who fell in love on first sight with the most popular guy. In fact, it's quite the opposite - this girl is very intelligent and kind, she loves animals (but animals seem to hate her). One day (while trying to catch a cat) she meets Leo - a weird, scary looking guy, who doesn't know anything about living in modern Japan, as he spent most of his life in a jungle, fighting with wild animals...

The plot is really amazing - the characters are natural and easy to like and their story is really interesting. Of course, they also have a few sweet moments that make you squeal with joy, but in this manga you'll also see some bloody (although not too much) fight and yakuza.

The artwork is simply magnificent - Motomi Kyousuke once again showed us his talent and drew beautiful characters and their surroundings. It makes the manga really easy to read and very eye-catching. And, another big plus, as the author is a man, you won't see many "shoujo-flowers" on the pages of "Beast Master". Everything is perfectly balanced.

Overall, I think this is one of best mangas, or at least a definite must for someone, who want to read something nice, that will make you dream of your own romance just like this one of Yuiko and Leo.

lalalollipop's avatar By on Jun 19, 2010

I loved this manga so much.The charater Leo reminded me a lot of L in death note (death note fan girl).He was so cute and sexy at the same time.It was actually a very funny manga.I thought it would be very serious.The main reason I love this manga is it involves animal and it is a heart warming romance.My fav character as you could guess is Leo.He's so cute when he is sad.He's like a puppy.READ THIS MANGA!!! XD

starweaver's avatar By on Apr 13, 2010

I thought this was a really good manga!  The characters were so adorable and it was funny and romantic.  I highly reccomend this to anyone who loves adorable characters, funny moments, and romance.

Peaches's avatar By on Jun 18, 2012

OMG THIS WAS SOOOOOO CUTE~! I dont usually like romance manga but when i read this I completely fell in love with it! Leo is soooooo adorable <3 I wnat a boyfriend like him!! I totally recomend this manga its sooooooo cute <3 one of my faveorites

mangaislife's avatar By on Dec 17, 2010

I'm a Kyousuke Motomi fan. His writing is excellent, his art is spectacular and his characters are, for the most parts, phenomenal. However, Beast Master isn't the example of this.

Beast Master IS pure fun. Through out the entire manga, I was having a good time. It's not inspirational, it's not powerful, it's not at all memorable and the romance isn't very heartwarming. But it's enjoyable.

First of all, I consider to most important part of a manga to be its characters. Characters trump over everything, even plot. Beast Master features your typical animal-loving-but-hated-by-animals female protagonist and a wild animal-like love interest. Needless to say, the love interest is the more interesting out of the two, although the main protagonist's personality saves her from being too much of a stock character. The supporting cast, unfortunately, is throwaway. The love interest is actually the most memorable thing about this manga.

The plot itself feels really, really rushed and I'm not just saying that because of how short the series was; I LOVE short manga sometimes. But it felt like Kyousuke Motomi got an idea and then ran out of enthusiasm for it and wrapped it up neatly, conveniently and as quickly as possible. I love Kyousuke Motomi's style of pacing, but this manga was just balanced poorly.

The art, as is expected, was top notch. The funny bits were funny, the dramatic bits were dramatic and the writing didn't really add to that so much as the art.

As a matter of fact, I found the writing to be quite creepy at times, but maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

I liked the ending, because it was an adequate conclusion to a satisfying story. It's a fun read and I actually thought the fights were the most enjoyable parts, odd for a shoujo. The art REALLY added there. Don't look for too much in this, but if you just need characters to love for a little bit, read it.