Ao Haru Ride

Alt title: Blue Spring Ride

Ao Haru Ride or Blue Spring Ride, even though the manga is not completed yet I enjoyed every single chapter I read. I do not reguarly read a manga, I just watch the anime based from a manga, but i did read this manga. All i can say is, I finished the 42 chapters in less than a day. You cry, you laugh and you just get frustrated with these characters. It bring out all these emotions, and yet you can not stop reading. The Characters are different in their own aspects and you see them deal with heartbreak amongst other issues. I reccomend this manga to those who enjoy shoujo.

I think yesterday I wrote a review on Blue Spring Ride the anime. Just three days have passed since I finished the anime. And then I find myself writing a review for the manga... For me, if I'm not satisfied with the anime ending (if the anime was cut off), then I would continue with the manga. Thus, I have done so for Blue Spring Ride.

And all I can say really is... Damn. Manga artist and writer did a damn good job. Seriously. I can't help but say that I have fallen in love with Blue Spring Ride. Now that I finished it, I'm actually happy with the ending. See, you have two problems when reading manga.

Now, everyone wants to know what happens in the end. There are times when you read too damn fast and get what you want right away, but when it's done... You feel empty inside. Then there are times when you read so damn slow (either pushing it away for some other times or slow translation updates) and feel like it's going to be forever.

I have to say, I have never finished a manga two days. No, wait. More like in 5~6 hours if you add it up. SO, I will tell you that this review is going to be different from the anime review I did prior to this one.

STORY *spoilers* (kinda obvious though)

Back when I watched the anime, I believed that it was somewhat cliché and that I've seen animes like this before. Yadda yadda. But, when I reading the manga, I was all like, "Man, this is interesting!" I couldn't stop. Literally. You know someone is unhealthily attached to a manga when they finish it in a day or two. *cough* Me *cough*. I think that the anime doesn't the the story good, because everything was cut too short. The manga was able to show the true colors of the plot, which made it so much more enjoyable.

I know, I know. There will be a love triangle. As most rom-com mangas have. Cliché? Yes. But, it was interpreted wonderfully. All the bumps and tears that came along Futaba and Kou's way were just leading up to the strong couple that the story ended with.

I give it a 8.5, which is somewhat higher than the story score I gave on the anime review, simply because the manga's finished story gave Blue Spring Ride at least some of an identity and difference from other rom-com mangas.

I don't know how to stress it enough, but I'm just absolutely in love with the manga art. The anime art was beautiful too, but I think that the manga art was even better. Finally, four years have complied into 49 chapters (+2 extras.). I'm kinda glad that it took four years(?) Odd, I know, but when you look at it, I think that the artwork became more developed over the years. I'm pretty sure a manga artist would feel more satisfied with his/her work if he/she took the time. I know tht there are manga artists that update weekly (Naruto Shippuden and the sequel for example). And I feel like some of the artwork is just kind of, I dunno, rushed? Then again, its manga and it delivers feelz, so I don't really mind. ^^

On another note, I especially like the water-colored front covers of Blue Spring Ride. <3

I won't be talking about all the characters, but rather the people who really stuck out to me the most in this manga series. Ughhh... Don't get me started on Kou. Why does he have to be so absolutely perfect. Well he is imperfect, but I think he's perfect. (Like Futaba? WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE). I'm just kidding. You just have this great guy who is really all broken inside, and this girl just makes it all better for him. I'm sorry. That sounded weird.

In actuality, Futaba (as well as her friends) made Kou realize the importance of moving and and new memories. Kou was honestly the type of person to take things on himself. Because his mother died and he had to live alone, he often 'carried the burden' without even realizing it. Kou really just needed a slap in the face from good friends. Really really good friends. I'm so glad that I got to see Kou develop into someone who can show his emotions, especially to the ones he loves.

I think one of the best characters out there was Aya-kun, or Kominato, as he is referred to by Futaba and the rest of them. In the beginning, I didn't like him. I thought was just being annoying to Murao and rude to the group. I think the turning point for my view on Kominato was when he got mad at the advanced class for "making fun of his friend" (Eheheh... Kou). It really got to me that he actually cared about Kou. Even when he found out that Futaba and Kikuchi were going out, he kept cheering Kou on. Kominato makes Kou realize how important Futaba was actually to him. THANK YOU KOMINATO.

Another character I want to touch up on is Kikuchi. He was only introduced in the anime as "the guy whose dick got accidentally touched by Futaba." Not a nice way to meet someone. Reallyyy weird. Especially because this isn't some ecchi manga... Riiight? Anyway, what can I say? Oh yeah. Kikuchi is perfect. I know I said that Kou was perfect, but Kikuchi is seriously perfect. There is nothing that Kikuchi did that was wrong. At all. He is literally the perfect guy. Yeah, he's good looking but his personality was just... So unreal. Like wow. He was always understanding, straight to the point, and most of all, he made it obvious that he really loved Futaba. But, then again my poor canon heart cannot help but be against his relationship with Futaba.

I mean it was beautiful while it lasted...?

Ahh, as all things. I think Blue Spring Ride was beautiful while it lasted. It really sucks that it's over right now. Some part of me just wants there to be more chapters, but then I'm just glad the it ended happy. I couldn't have hoped for a more beautiful ending. I pretty much cried when it was over, really. Tears of joy.

I guess.

8.5/10 story
9.1/10 overall

8.5/10 art
8.5/10 characters

I'm sorry I couldn't give another rating but a 10, because is what I really felt when I finished this shoujo manga. Before anything else, I have to confess I thought it was so cliché when I watched the anime, but in the end it just invited me to continue reading the manga. So I did.

It took me two days to finish the anime and manga (yes I was so into the story). The most incredible thing about this manga is how the characters develop, how they grow up, and the change in their personalities comparing them to how they start off, and in the end. The male protagonist, Kou, I have to say he surprised me in a lot of ways. There were some times he totally made my heart melt, others that I wanted to punch him and tell him to recognize his feelings, and others I just wanted to give him a hug because of how broken he was inside. Not to expand a lot more, the rest of the characters personalities are so real, I mean, you can totally find a cute kawaii girl like Yuuri, a solitary girl who does not feel like caring for anyone like Murao, or this insistent boy who cheers up everyone, like Kominato. Then there's Yoshioka. Weird. I loved her during almost the whole manga, the reason? I could totally relate to her feels. They are true, hurting feels which didn't let her make a progress. So real that there were times that I had to stop to made myself up, and continue reading

That's my favourite part about the story, how you can relate to, at least, one of the characters, or with the storyline, because is so truthful and it shows how fucked up your life can be sometimes, and it's that time when you have to listen to heart, or let yourself rely on others.

I ABSOLUTELY recommend this manga (and anime too) to anyone who is a little bit dreamy and likes catchy stories that make you laugh and cry (and this is being said by someone who is not romantic at all but gives an opportunity to love stories).

And yes, I confess I laughed, I cried, and I felt a little empty inside when I finished this manga, as same as with the anime. After all, this is my personal and subjective review.

*Sorry if there's something that's not expressed well or whatever, I'm not an English speaker <3*

This manga is great, and I say this because I'm not into shoujo manga, but this manga captured my interess and made me want more of it.

I mean, the moment when Futaba and Kou meet for the first time it's genius, there's like this group of friends who want to play "cops and robbers". Futaba and a friend of hers join them and she ends up a robber. She then runs and finds the same exact hiding spot that kou chose. And it's just sweet how a simple game can join so many good emotions into a scene.

And when they meet for the second time, both of them are completely different, as stated by Futaba in almost every chapter.

That is one thing that I like about this manga, the fact that it could have been completely different, depending on one simple thing that happenend.

The moments shared by the protagonists are just delicious to the eyes, and there are love triangles and new possible loves introduced. At some point in the series I didn't know who to root for anymore.

And Futaba's feelings and the way she develops trought the entire story is just beautiful, she smoothly is changed by kou and everyone around her.

Her two best friends are jsut amazing, they make the story even better with their own personal (love) problems. And then there's Kou's "friend", the most enthusiastic in the group.

Kou is just simply the best. I think that one of the good things in this manga is the fact that Futaba's choices in love are realistic and not poorly made like in some mangas. Io Sakisaka is definitly a great mangaka.

Oh, and we can't forget the art! The art is just... AMAZING! You fall in love the second you see it... it's true!

This manga, I highly recommend it.