Alice in the Country of Hearts

Alt titles: Heart no Kuni no Alice

bollier's avatar By bollier on Nov 28, 2010

Just in case you can't tell from the name, this is yet another anime/manga rendition of Alice in Wonderland.  It also originates from an H-game.  Despite these two factors, this series is surprisingly very good.  Basically, Alice follows a rabbit and falls down a rabbit hole, where he promptly turns into a bishonen.  It turns out, Wonderland is full of them, and Alice must meet them and develop relationships with them in order to return home.  The story develops with a focus on the value of the various lives of those involved, and does a relatively good job of focusing on this.  The characters are also all very interesting renditions of the originals.  For example, the mad hatter is turned into a mafia boss.  Overall, the characters in this manga shine, and change another Alice in Wonderland manga into something relatively original.  The artwork is relatively attractive.  The settings are beautiful, and the characters are well illustrated.  The one fault I have is that Alice looks a little off.  Whereas everyone else in Wonderland looks interesting, she looks relatively flat.  This could be attributed to the fact she is an outsider, but it still just doesn't seem to fit with the manga.  Overall, this is a manga I highly recommend.

TheHatter's avatar By TheHatter on Mar 28, 2011

This is like Alice in wonderland but told in a different unique way like in Alice in Wonderland Alice Follows a Wight Rabbit and falls down a hole and ends up in Wonderland However in this version Alice in the Country of Hearts she is Apathetic and Kind of Hotheaded, when Alice Sees the rabbit she just shrugs it off and ignores the Rabbit so the Rabbit turns in to a handsome man and forces Alice down the rabbit hole only to find all the men in Wonderland are in Love with her and not only that but all of Wonderland is at war,

I personally like this out look on Alice in wonderland and really enjoy reading it. You should defiantly look in to it (^w^)b

Rhaynebow's avatar By Rhaynebow on Dec 23, 2012

There's a trick to adapting dating sims into ANY form of media; choosing which storyline for the protagonist to follow. This will inevitably lead to some displeased fans who may have preferred a different story, but they would have to accept that it would be the most popular storyline with the token suitor of the series that would be adapted. Alice in the Country of Hearts, while otome games aren't nearly as adapted as the typical sims, has no excuse to ignore this staple of adaption. Yet it does, and it leads to an unpredictable mess of a manga with characters that just HAPPEN to be named after Alice in Wonderland characters.

STORY: Once Alice arrives in Wonderland, it completely departs from the Wonderland story and simply focuses on her encounters with the various men (+ 1 woman) who will all inevitably fall in love with her in SOME shape or form.  Each chapter will most likely involve Alice getting abused in some certain fashion and her responding in mostly unrealistic ways. Case-in-point, when Ace pushes Alice down to hear her heartbeat, her ONLY reaction is 'Oh God, his face is hitting my chest-!'..no crap, Sherlock now push the pervert off you like a REAL person! And did we mention that EVERY person is in love with her? There's little actual LOVE in this manga as all the characters show their feelings for Alice in aggressive ways.

Perhaps the BIGGEST offender in Hearts' story is the amount of whiplash you will get while reading this. Aggressive "Romantic" scenes from the moment they start can become comedic or heartfelt with the flip of a page. ANY type of action the series attempts to have are quickly extinguished by Alice either yelling at the offenders for being idiots or crying about their lack of values for life (no joke, this ALWAYS happens!).

ART: Though I personally dislike shojo art, I tried to be as unbiased as I could here. At SOME angles the characters look pretty attractive. As the characters get older, they EASILY get more beautiful. (Compare the Dum twins to Julius~) At other angles, though, they look a tad chunky and have huge noses. Wide-eyed characters are also subject to becoming very serious in a short amount of time (there's that whiplash again.) The actual setting of Wonderland rarely gets any drawings unfortunately since this is a character-driven "story". It's a bit of a shame really.

CHARACTERS: FACT:REFERENCES TO ALICE IN WONDERLAND ARE BY NAME ONLY. Aside from that and few similar designs, the characters and setting of Hearts possess little in common with the characters they're named after. Peter White, for example, is the white rabbit. Besides bringing Alice to Wonderland, he has no obsession with time and isn't late for anything.

The characters themselves are all a mystery to Alice. Their methods of showing her affection are limited to aggression or ignoring her. Perhaps the only NICE people here are the two rabbits Elliot and Peter, who also get pretty low amounts of lovely-dovey time with her, compared to everyone else who literally can't keep their hands off her.

There are also these faceless folks in Wonderland, and rather than just letting them be unimportant people with no reason to be named, the main characters address them as "Those without Duties". Seriously, they're just unimportant people. No need to rub salt in the wounds.

There's also this semi-relevant plot point that all the people in Wonderland have clocks instead of hearts beating inside them and that when they die, the clocks are sent to a clock maker to be repaired and they're reborn, just without their memories. This is used to explain why Wonderlanders care so little about their lives, but it seems more like a reason for the characters to fight each other so Alice can cry and yell at them.

OVERALL: In regards to the staple of adaptation, what Alice in the Country of Hearts does wrong is that there is no CENTRAL storyline that's being followed. Every character we meet shows affection for Alice in some way so it's impossible to tell which character's storyline we're following. Alice's lack of development makes it even more challenging to figure out who she loves back. The "finale" of the series seems like a name was just drawn out of hat. Not only did this character show little feelings for Alice in the first place, but they played a big part in Alice's real life that she hated with a burning passion.

Overall, this whole series was a mismatched pile of Fanfiction fodder. The story was impossible to follow, the characters were bipolar, and the actual ROMANCE this series was meant to be was delivered via forms of cliche physical/psychological abuse. All wrapped up in an Alice in Wonderland bow. Why they believe Otome gamers love this kind of stuff is beyond me.

Alexcia's avatar By Alexcia on Jun 30, 2011

Alice in the country of hearts.

This manga has a very good story, it's is full of surpizes and romance.this manga is very different and i find pleaseing. Right whan you think something will hapen...  it becomes diffeent. the characters are very uniqunk. the art is happy and nice. with the main characy=ter alice learning and growing to love all of the other male chacters

8.5/10 characters
Galadri's avatar By Galadri on Dec 9, 2011

SPOILERS AHEAD DUE TO RANTING

I read the whole thing. I can't believe I read the whole thing. I had some serious issues with the series and I'm just going to toss out my biggest WTF moments as they occur to me because I don't think I can set my frustration aside long enough to write the sort of review this manga probably deserves (in someone else's opinion).

Hints of some mystery about her sister - never resolved.

Brought to Wonderland by Peter yet her relationship to him is almost nonexistent.

Antagonism with Blood yet HE'S the guy she loves? What?

Period costumes yet she wants to work in publishing?

Were the characters all supposed to be the hours on a clock?

WTF!!! was that ending?! Seriously! There was more closure from the Sopranos!

Alice: Temperamental, whinging, dull, uninteresting. Her one and only attraction is the fact that she isn't from wonderland. I thought there would be more development because she could tell the NPC/Cards apart, but there was nothing to that end. It served only as a device to show she was "caring" and different from the Wonderlanders, but was never used again. On the whole she wandered around aimlessly, completely ignoring/forgetting the reason she was even trying to meet people (to go home) and when she did finally reach her world there was no resolution of her real world problems!

The artwork was standard for the genre, rarely captivating and on the whole nothing too exciting. That said, it was still well done and never seemed to drop in quality. The greatest problem I had was the way the script made the setting and the clothing seem anachronistic.

I know I have a type when it comes to bishie men (and I love me some pretty boys) and anyone who knows me won't be surprised by this preference. So it comes as no great shock that I was angered that she didn't choose Julius or Peter (or even Elliot), but to pick Blood after less contact than she had with Peter was a load of bull! Bullhockey I say!

In any event, it was a decent read and drawn well enough that I never felt cheated on the scenery, but the story left A LOT to be desired and while I can't exactly recommend this series to anyone I am well aware that there is an audience for this tale and they will not be disappointed.